TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Hadit

First Post
Hello Gary!

Firstly, thanks again for this continuing opportunity to ask questions of the esteemed author of AD&D! It seems the more I read, the more questions pop into my head that have been accumulating over the years!

I was curious if any of the AD&D cosmology (inner and outer planes, etc.), Mythus cosmology, or LA cosmology represent an actual belief system (or philosophical conjecture) you may have...
or is it all simply a gaming contrivance?

At the very least it seems to represent a good deal of study in ancient hermetic tradition (as well as some Jungian archetype psychology)! I've always appreciated how nicely the concepts of the inner and outer planes seem to fit together; the foundational elemental planes blending with the 'higher' ethical/moral planes to form what we know of existence (the Prime Material).

It just struck me that such an elegant system must contain at least some small portion of personal philosophy, but then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Take care, Duglas

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:

Ho Merrick!

The banshee isn't undead, but a member of the Unseelie Court.

Oh, I see - I was misled by "The groaning spirit, or banshee, is the spirit of an evil female elf - a very rare thing indeed. The spirit returns to harm the living." (MM 1E, pg 50).

Despite the fact that a cleric can't turn them, it did sound somewhat undead. :)

Gary, one thing I've been wondering: how big are the dungeons below Castle Greyhawk, dimension-wise? Would a standard level (heh - no such thing!) fit on a single sheet of grid paper (400' x 600')?

Were there levels bigger than that?

Cheers!

Bryan Vining

First Post
More questions

This is a case of providing fuel to start a real fire, not just smoke as there was before, IMO.

I agree with that. I'm less frightened, though, that there will be any serious long-term impact. One could argue that including monsters bearing well-recognized names of powerful demons from our own history in 1E was giving D&D's detractors plenty of ammo. Despite all of the uproar in the media in the 80s, the only thing that really hurt TSR was Lorraine Williams. 3E has enjoyed immense popularity despite its explicit inclusion of demons and devils. I think there will be some effects, but not very large ones.

On a lighter note, I have some questions:

1. You've made your preference for rules-light games well-known. What has been the evolution of that viewpoint for you? What do you consider the advantages of rules-light gaming?

2. Asking you to peer into a crystal ball of sorts, what innovations do you think RPGs need in order to become more mainstream, and do you think it is a worthwhile goal to craft RPGs with more mass appeal?

Thanks,
Bryan

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:
Hello Gary!

Firstly, thanks again for this continuing opportunity to ask questions of the esteemed author of AD&D! It seems the more I read, the more questions pop into my head that have been accumulating over the years!

Welcome, Hadit ;)

I was curious if any of the AD&D cosmology (inner and outer planes, etc.), Mythus cosmology, or LA cosmology represent an actual belief system (or philosophical conjecture) you may have...
or is it all simply a gaming contrivance?

At the very least it seems to represent a good deal of study in ancient hermetic tradition (as well as some Jungian archetype psychology)! I've always appreciated how nicely the concepts of the inner and outer planes seem to fit together; the foundational elemental planes blending with the 'higher' ethical/moral planes to form what we know of existence (the Prime Material).

It just struck me that such an elegant system must contain at least some small portion of personal philosophy, but then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Take care, Duglas

The kind words are appreciated, for I did a considerable amount of research in devising the cosomology for AD&D--and the Mythus game too,m with more Theosophy and other more recent concepts added. We are still working on the details of the LA game cosmology. Because of the wide variety of pantheons therein, all based to a considerable degree on actual mythology, devising a plausible and workable cosmology for the Lejendary Earth is an exacting task.

As far as I know all the work is purely done for the game in question. Of course my personal moral and ethical views are bound to impact the treatment...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Salutations, Merric!

MerricB said:

Oh, I see - I was misled by "The groaning spirit, or banshee, is the spirit of an evil female elf - a very rare thing indeed. The spirit returns to harm the living." (MM 1E, pg 50).

Despite the fact that a cleric can't turn them, it did sound somewhat undead. :)

Indeed, in AD&D I "fudged" the banshee to be a spirit of an evil female elf--that flying in the face of elves being soul-less... So you were basically correct, and I was using my revised treatment, returning the banshee into the ranks of the sidhe where they belong;)

Gary, one thing I've been wondering: how big are the dungeons below Castle Greyhawk, dimension-wise? Would a standard level (heh - no such thing!) fit on a single sheet of grid paper (400' x 600')?

Were there levels bigger than that?

Cheers!

Being of insidious nature, I varied the maps for levels of the castle dungeons. Sometimes I used 8.5" x 11' paper, 4 squares to the inch, sometimes 5, 6, or 8. then I'd throw in two or more levels on the same map, or use 17" x 22" paper with 4 or 5 lsquares to the inch. At least one level was done with small hexagons. Also, many of the levels were connected so that it was difficult to know when one was leaving one and entering another.

Accurate maps were highly prized by regular players :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

blackshirt5

First Post
Dear Gary,

What do you think are the secrets of making a really dangerous, well-done dungeon, like Castle Greyhawk?

Also, any map-drawing tips?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: More questions

Bryan Vining said:

I agree with that. I'm less frightened, though, that there will be any serious long-term impact. One could argue that including monsters bearing well-recognized names of powerful demons from our own history in 1E was giving D&D's detractors plenty of ammo. Despite all of the uproar in the media in the 80s, the only thing that really hurt TSR was Lorraine Williams. 3E has enjoyed immense popularity despite its explicit inclusion of demons and devils. I think there will be some effects, but not very large ones.

Howdy Brian!

Jisy a cautionary note. Most parents aren't too concerned about their children encontering "demons" and "devils" od mythological sort in game play. The reasonable ones are certainly going to be concerned about the sort of material found in the more recent supplements, for that is clearly possible to imitate...

On a lighter note, I have some questions:

1. You've made your preference for rules-light games well-known. What has been the evolution of that viewpoint for you? What do you consider the advantages of rules-light gaming?

Short answer, for I don't think an essay is appropriate in this forum;)

The rules-light game facilitates freedom for all participants to exercise imagination and innovation without undue constraint. That encourages gamimg rather than rule-playing. In short, I believe it encourages creativity in all participants, and allows greater immersion in the game milieu, not the mechanics that form the game.[/B][/QUOTE]

2. Asking you to peer into a crystal ball of sorts, what innovations do you think RPGs need in order to become more mainstream, and do you think it is a worthwhile goal to craft RPGs with more mass appeal?

Thanks,
Bryan

I do not believe that the RPG will ever become "main stream." Its very basis is such that the majority of people will not be likely to find it entertaining. Those bases I refere to are: make believe and exercise of imagination, role assumption, role playing, problem solving, group cooperation, no clear victory conditions, no conclusion to play. Other assumptions made are considerable literacy, mathematical interest, and a mind stimulated by problem solving.

I've probably missed some points there, but what the heck, this isn't a scholarly dissertation, only a fast pass at an interesting question.

BTW, attempting to devise RPGs with mass appeal is IMO as bootless as attempting to write them with broad appeal to females. It just isn't going to work.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
blackshirt5 said:
Dear Gary,

What do you think are the secrets of making a really dangerous, well-done dungeon, like Castle Greyhawk?

Also, any map-drawing tips?

Heh!

Just that, secrets:D

Okay, more responsively, I believe that the first quality a dungeon needs is game logic and verisimilitude based thereon. That's why I subsumed the maze beneath Greyhawk Castle had been created by a mad demi-god.

The elements needed thereafter are: Challenge of exploration, increasing danger including actual PC loss, varied problems, varied environments, occassional humor or like relief from the tension normal to the environment, mysteries, rewards commensurate with the challenge overcome, a series of milestones indicating achievement in the course of delving into the labyrinth, and a finally where the successful PC(s) get the big reward for staying the course and reaching the untimate conclusion.

I think that covers it...

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Re: More questions

Col_Pladoh said:
rule-playing

hmm, i've heard "roll-playing" plenty of times, but i think this is the first time i've heard this one. :) i think it needs to be said a lot more often...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads