TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:

Thanks for the update, Gary. :)

Time for a (somewhat silly) question: how many dice do you have?

:D

Cheers!

The HOMP module is back on the active project list according to Steve Chenault, so Troll Lord Games might have it as a Christmas release, it being a boxed set and all:)

Actually, Merric, I am not much of a collector, and I don't care about fancy dice. I have about 50 that I use regularly, and various others scattered all over, so I can't give you a real answer. I do have about 200 or so blue and white 10-siders in a box in the basement. there were a lot more but I have given many pairs away.

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Okay, going to a rather obscure topic (and there is a purpose for asking this), what was the original original name for Dangerous Journeys?

Hadit

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
My next plan was to detail the city or Erelheicindlu, but the lads absolutely refused to take their characters into the place ;)

Bah! Boo to that!
Definately NOT my crew!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
Okay, going to a rather obscure topic (and there is a purpose for asking this), what was the original original name for Dangerous Journeys?

The name I favored for the system was Infinite Adventures. We made a lsit of possible names and consulted with NEC and JVC. Their choice was Dangerous Dimensions, so that was the what the system was originally called.

Because T$R immediately filed a lawsuit, the name was changed to Dangerous Journies at my suggestion, this being agreeable to NEC and JVC. That cut the rug out from under the demand for a temporary injunction upon the release of the game.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:

Bah! Boo to that!
Definately NOT my crew!

That's god. The adventuring in the Vault, especially the city, will demand a lot of roleplay, involve plenty of tension, intregue, and incredible danger, but it should be absolutely unlike adventuring just about anywhere else.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary!

Long time fan, first time poster, yadda, yadda ...

Thanks for bringing so much to this game, which I've been enjoying since 1981. My earliest and fondest D&D memories are of various hijinks around the village of Hommlett and in the Caves of Chaos.

I know you've been involved to some extent with the soon-to-be-released Temple of Elemental Evil CRPG. Had you been king for a day and able to direct the adventure for the first Greyhawk-based CRPG (AFAIK), what would you have selected to best capture the classic Greyhawk feel? ToEE, another AD&D adventure, or something original/unpublished?

There has been a lot of discussion, too, from the ToEE developers and fans about a potential sequel -- most often the Giants-Drow series is mentioned. If that were to come to pass, what changes, updates, additions, or more fully developed areas would you recommend for those adventures, now with 25 years of hindsight?

Thanks!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Howdily hey Gary!

I'm a huge fan of Orcus (the biggest one I know, though Nightfall and the Necromancer Games people could contest that), and I was wondering if you could share any thoughts/opinions/anecdotes about him from back in the day. I know this isn't really a question, but anything at all would be really great. Thanks! :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Hi Gary!

I know you've been involved to some extent with the soon-to-be-released Temple of Elemental Evil CRPG. Had you been king for a day and able to direct the adventure for the first Greyhawk-based CRPG (AFAIK), what would you have selected to best capture the classic Greyhawk feel? ToEE, another AD&D adventure, or something original/unpublished?

There has been a lot of discussion, too, from the ToEE developers and fans about a potential sequel -- most often the Giants-Drow series is mentioned. If that were to come to pass, what changes, updates, additions, or more fully developed areas would you recommend for those adventures, now with 25 years of hindsight?

Thanks!

Troika is 100% responsible for the content of the ToEE CRPG. All I did was answer some questions from their head developer in regards to the direction and interpretaions he had taken and made. Fact is they are spot on in my estimation, although I have not seen any of the actual game.

As for choice of a beginning point, the VoH-ToEE one seems solid to me. I know after that Troika wants to do the G series and the D one also. That makes sense to me also.

As for changes, if I were writing the G and D series today, I'd put in some detailed backstory and include more adventure hooks, but most of the encounter material would remain just as it is--with additional ways to manage some areas, more dialog, and possibly some expansion of each separate area so as to make each module about the same length.

General question for any reader who DMed or played in G1: Has any party ever disguised themselves as the hill giant "kids," so as to roam around the steading that way? I set it up as a possibility, but as far as I know the disguise potential has never been used.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases