TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Alzrius said:
Howdily hey Gary!

I'm a huge fan of Orcus (the biggest one I know, though Nightfall and the Necromancer Games people could contest that), and I was wondering if you could share any thoughts/opinions/anecdotes about him from back in the day. I know this isn't really a question, but anything at all would be really great. Thanks! :)

As my campaign never got to the point where the PCs were of a level to dare any encounter with deities of even lesser sort than Orcus, the sum total of ,y development of the demon lords is pretty much contained in the core monster books.

The only anecdote I have regarding Orcus is this: When a party I was GMing was in the D3 module, they got into such trouble that they pleaded for divine intervention withoug being specific. As thos was successful (a d% roll of 00), I had Orcus appear, he being the most potent deity likely to have attention focused in that area. At that point the party was toast, so knowing that they again pleaded for divine intervention, this time specifying a deity opposed to a demon lord, but no more. Again they managed a successful roll, so Asmodeus appeared. Having an immediate understanding of what was happening, the two Evil deities did not fight, not did they bother with the foolish mortals who had summoned them. That was beneath them, of course. So they gated out and left the party to their fate. A couple of the characters actually managed to survive.

Cheers,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
All the material in the D series was done exclusively by me, illustrations aside, of course. The additional areas of the underworld were sketchily detailed, but I have no idea where those notes have ended up:(

My players were not much delighted with the thought of continuing adventures there, so my efforts came to no useful end. My next plan was to detail the city or Erelheicindlu, but the lads absolutely refused to take their characters into the place ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Why didn't the party want more adventures in this setting? Where they too frightened, or was it just not their druthers?

Col_Pladoh said:

General question for any reader who DMed or played in G1: Has any party ever disguised themselves as the hill giant "kids," so as to roam around the steading that way? I set it up as a possibility, but as far as I know the disguise potential has never been used.

LOL, no but I wish we'd thought of that! The party I played with relied on invisibility to infiltrate the Steading, which worked well until one of our number was bumped into by a giant. In the resultant running fight our excessive use of pyrotechnics set fire to the place. It wasn't until much later, when I actually purchased the module, that I realized the pain we'd caused the DM in getting us to the next part of the adventure (which we completed successfully, though we met our doom in the Hall of the Fire Giant King attempting a frontal assault on the main hall). As a result of that fiasco, I've never gotten to be a player in the D series, though I did get to DM it.

Edit: I've had a soft spot for the pre-gen character with the silly name I played in that adventure ever since: Fonkin Hoddypeaks, elven Ftr/MU. I was rather put out when the 3E DMG used it as an example of how not to name a character! (In a subsequent foray I also had the privilege of running Beak Gwenders of Croodle, 1/2 Elf Ranger -- our own characters weren't high enough level at the time, so we relied on the supplied ones).

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:

Why didn't the party want more adventures in this setting? Where they too frightened, or was it just not their druthers?

They felt the risks weren't worth the possible rewards. It was much the same in regards to adventuring on the Isle of the Ape where they calculated that the likelihood of Pc death was too great for any possible gain thet might come from successfully managing the whole adventure. In sum I believe that they also didn't want to have to do all the roleplaying necessary to deal with the potent evil creatures they'd encounter regularly in the Drow city.

As a DM who never begged, I didn't grill them about their refusal...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Olgar:)

Well, your not taking the opportunity to use the disguise seems to be the normal, so don't feel bad about the missed opportunity. A number of instances of fire in the Steading are known to me, even though I made a point of stressing to DMs how generally uninflammable the timers of the structure were.

A couple of years back I played Zigby my main Dwarf PC in a session my son Ernie was running using G2/ It had been so long since I'd written the adventure, DMed it, that I'd forgotten sufficiently to feel comfortable thus. Darned if I hadn't totally forgotten the misty cave where everything is slippery, and poor Zigby slipped and lost his +2 shield down a crevass. I was weak with the laughter caused from the mirth over my cruel tricks on PCs.

As for the WotC folks using Fondkin Hoddypeak as an example of what not to name a character, bah! They are a humorless lot thet take themselves and the game far too seriously, judging from that. It was a great joke on players, though, for all of those names were rether less than flattering even though the characters were buff;) Of course that sword cuts both ways, for I created the characters, and was poking fun at the game, the adventure, and myself in the process.

Beek (bask) Gwenders (chillblanes) of Croodle (to creep close as in to a fire), was a favorite of mine, as was Faffle (stammer) Dweomercraeft (magic).

Heh,
Gary

Hadit

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I've had a soft spot for the pre-gen character with the silly name I played in that adventure ever since: Fonkin Hoddypeaks, elven Ftr/MU. I was rather put out when the 3E DMG used it as an example of how not to name a character!

Really?
I guess I missed that somehow.

Whoops, I misremembered. It was page 61 of the Hero Builder's Guidebook, not the DMG, that specifically mentioned not naming your character Fondkin Hoddypeak (or Gleep Wurp the Eyebiter, for that matter). Poor Gleep! Smashed by a giant ...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Whoops, I misremembered. It was page 61 of the Hero Builder's Guidebook, not the DMG, that specifically mentioned not naming your character Fondkin Hoddypeak (or Gleep Wurp the Eyebiter, for that matter). Poor Gleep! Smashed by a giant ...

What's in a name? The play's the thing!

As I recall, for I don't have the book of lost words handy, the name was Gleed (for squint-eyed) Wurp (a glance of the eye), so his appellation wasn't quite as denigrating as Fondkin (little fool) Hoddypeak (crazy). I thought it suitable for an elf... A fighter named Redmod (anger) Dumple (beat into a shapless mass) was actually rather flattering, Or was that Frush (crush) Dumple?

Ah well,
Gary

Hadit

First Post
Hey Gary,

Have you had a chance to see a publication called Demonographia, by Trident Books? It is a complete collection of illustrations of demons as decribed in J.A.S. Collin de Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal (along with descriptive text).
Its a very classy book and quite useful for GM inspiration in regards to infernal adventures!

In case you are intrigued, Trident Books address is: P.O. Box 85811, Seattle, WA, 98105.

Take care, Duglas

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
The name I favored for the system was Infinite Adventures. (snip)
Cheers,
Gary

Well, in that case, Infinite Adventures it is. Got some people to contact, the rest of it I'll leave to your imagination.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases