TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

YOu know the sell them in pdf right?
ken

ScottGLXIX said:
Yeah Mythus, spill the beans already. I'm currently in the process of tracking down copies of all of the DJ/Mythus material. I'd prefer a new set of Infinate Adventures books to the ok set of Dangerous Journeys/Mythus books I've been collecting.
I don't really know what's going on but, when Gary preferred Infinate Adventures, there was no Lejendary Adventures. Just something you might consider.
Scott

ScottGLXIX

First Post
They sell some of them, and I have them, but I haven't seen the beastiary, Epic of Aerth, or Mythus Prime, and using a PDF in play is a pain in the arse.
Scott

ScottGLXIX said:
They sell some of them, and I have them, but I haven't seen the beastiary, Epic of Aerth, or Mythus Prime, and using a PDF in play is a pain in the arse.
Scott
Oh I agree i use the PDF to supplement my books, and to make hand outs as I am the only one in my group with the rules.
ken

optimizer

First Post
Howdy!

Joseph Elric Smith said:

Oh I agree i use the PDF to supplement my books, and to make hand outs as I am the only one in my group with the rules.
ken

I also like PDFs for the same reason. That is why I am willing to buy the old TSR ones, even though I have the books. Plus, I used to store them on my work laptop so I can access them on the road (in my previous job).

Mike

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Geoffrey said:
Mythusmage, you're intriguing me! Spill the beans, will ya? :)

I just got the floor clean, it aint gonna happen.:p

Besides, this is Gary's thread, and I haven't approached Wizards or Hasbro about it anyway.

If they do say yes, then comes the rewrite and expansion leading to PDF publication, which may lead to print. But all this is speculative right now, so don't get your hopes up.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
An Alignment Question for ya EGG

Whew,

Page 10 before I found this.

Gary, I don't know if this has been asked before. My question is about the true neutral alignment. I believe I have the other alignments worked out in my head but I'm having trouble imagining the motivations or characteristics of someone of true neutral alignment.

How did you come up with the neutral alignment and; How do you represent someone with the alignment?

Thanks,

Son of Thunder

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, I'm guessing you are, or were, a Ray Harryhausen fan. After watching many of his films over the past weekend on Turner Classic Movies, many of the critters in them seem to have wandered their way into D&D - the giant crab and giant bee, for two striking examples from Mysterious Island.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: An Alignment Question for ya EGG

Son_of_Thunder said:
Whew,

Page 10 before I found this.

Gary, I don't know if this has been asked before. My question is about the true neutral alignment. I believe I have the other alignments worked out in my head but I'm having trouble imagining the motivations or characteristics of someone of true neutral alignment.

How did you come up with the neutral alignment and; How do you represent someone with the alignment?

Thanks,

Son of Thunder

Heh....

I'd thought this thread had slipped even further back;)

The true neutral ethos is one that sees all as part of a whole. One must have evil to know good, disorder to know order, and so on. Looking at the cosmos as consiting of all permutations of that sort of opposition, the true neutral is convinced that these balancing forces are necessary for the whole to operate properly, allow people and nature and everything their freedom to be as they are meant to me--or opt to be.

In this light, if any one opposing force becomes too powerful, the whole system is threatened, so thus true neutral opposes the ascendency of law or chaos, good or evil. That is out of the harmony necessary in the cosmos.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, I'm guessing you are, or were, a Ray Harryhausen fan. After watching many of his films over the past weekend on Turner Classic Movies, many of the critters in them seem to have wandered their way into D&D - the giant crab and giant bee, for two striking examples from Mysterious Island.

Right, Colonel!

From my very early childhood I recall from the film THIEF OF BAGHDAD (I think), where Sindbad was swinging on a line from a giant spider's web, fighting it, sending it falling into a deep pit in which octopi were waiting to devour it. Don't know if that oldie was Harryhausen's work, but his skeletons were indeed what I visualized for the D&D monster of that name. Ray did some very good work using the technology available then.

The old film that holds up the best IMo is the original KING KONG, though. What a great movie that was!

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hello Gary!

Has Iggwilv ever been stated out in AD&D terms? If not what would you imagine her classes and levels to be? She must have been a 25th level magic user at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases