TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

green slime

First Post
Hi Gary!

I've always enjoyed the Scarlet Brotherhood, and the area they inhabit. What occured in your campaign there? Where they always monks? What conspiracies where they involved in?

Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JeffB said:

Gary, thanks for answering my questions, though your answers sparked a couple of new ones, if you do not mind. :)

1) Jim as the man behind FFE has a fairly poor rep here @ EnWorld. Many folks not only have problems w/ FFE's lack of understanding for D20 rules, but many also disdain the higher than average "power level' and emphasis on story/fluff elements (personally I like the FFE products, warts and all). I would assume Jim's gaming style in his home games would flow with that high power, story heavy theme. I get the impression that style of gaming is not exactly your cup of tea so to speak. Would you care to comment?

No question about it, I am a big fan of the METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game, and that was what I was mainly referring to when I spoke of playing in a game run by James M. Ward;)

I can say that Jim has been the DM in a number of AD&D game sessions I have played, and his material was indeed high level, but the emphasis was more on exploration and action than on story.

You are correct, amateur theater is not popular with me, as I think that the story in a RPG campaign needs to be outlined by the DM, then "written" by him and the players' characters in interaction with the campaign environment, so that the events that take place are unknown until they have taken place.

2) Are there any of the people I mentioned that you have not had contact w/ in many years that you would like to get together with and BS, or play a game with? IOW, who were some of the folks you really enjoyed working and/or gaming w/ at TSR who seemingly have dropped off the face of the earth? (so to speak). Not Rob, Frank, and Jim, but some of the others (if any).

Thank you again. :)

The short answer is none. I do get together with Francois MArcela Froideval every couple of years, and we remain in touch via email and telephone. He is the only one of the former writers from TSR that was omitted from my list. There are a number of players from my campaign, or met at conventions, that I enjoy encountering online, via email, or in person--and that I manage pretty well.

My main creative contacts these days are with writers with whom I am currently working, and those are quite stimulating and enjoyable.

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
green slime said:
Hi Gary!

I've always enjoyed the Scarlet Brotherhood, and the area they inhabit. What occured in your campaign there? Where they always monks? What conspiracies where they involved in?

Thanks!

Yes, when I devised the Scarlet Brotherhood I based the concept on an organization of monks who were augmented by assassins and clerics, with a large number of fighters around, of course.

Most of the play in my campaign was around the Nyr Dyv and westwards. Thus the Brotherhood's machinations were not central to the action. I was planning to do a module to two featuring them, but that didn't happen, so I have no detailed plots regarding them and their conspiricies. As with many places on the continent of Oerik, they were there for use as needed, a tool for the DM;)

Cheers,
Gary

WinnipegDragon

First Post
I have a question if I may, Gary. (I'll skip the fluff and fawning, but suffice it to say it's kind of neat talking with you, and I'm a fan!)

I hold very fond and nostalgic memories of the D&D cartoon as I'm sure many others on the boards do. Who holds the rights to these, and have you heard anything about a possible DVD release of the series, similar to what is happening right now with The Transformers, etc?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
WinnipegDragon said:
I have a question if I may, Gary. (I'll skip the fluff and fawning, but suffice it to say it's kind of neat talking with you, and I'm a fan!)

I hold very fond and nostalgic memories of the D&D cartoon as I'm sure many others on the boards do. Who holds the rights to these, and have you heard anything about a possible DVD release of the series, similar to what is happening right now with The Transformers, etc?

Indeed, the series was a good one, and I was very sad that it was dropped after 26 episodes without a more "advanced" version going into production as was planned.

All the rights to the D&D Cartoon Show are held jointly by WotC and Marvel. Neither entity keeps me in the loop regarding their plans for any further exploitation of the series...

Cheers,
Gary

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Hello Gary! :)

I've always been curious about the origin of a "weird" combo of magic items in AD&D...

Namely, the possibility of stacking Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Girdle of Giant Strength when using magical warhammers (or was that only when using an Hammer of Thunderbolts?)

Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nikosandros said:
Hello Gary! :)

I've always been curious about the origin of a "weird" combo of magic items in AD&D...

Namely, the possibility of stacking Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Girdle of Giant Strength when using magical warhammers (or was that only when using an Hammer of Thunderbolts?)

Thanks!

Salut!

The combined gauntlets and girdle applied only to the noted magic item, it being akin to Thor's hammer, Mjolmir. Otherwise the two different items did not combine their powers.

Cheers,
Gary

Hadit

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Most of the play in my campaign was around the Nyr Dyv and westwards.

Heya Gary,

Mention of the Lake of Unknown Depths has sparked a trivial (but old) question I've had for awhile.
How do you pronounce Nyr Dyv? (I've always said it like: "nyer deev".)
Also, how do you pronounce Flanaess?

Thanks, Duglas

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hadit said:

Heya Gary,

Mention of the Lake of Unknown Depths has sparked a trivial (but old) question I've had for awhile.
How do you pronounce Nyr Dyv? (I've always said it like: "nyer deev".)
Also, how do you pronounce Flanaess?

Thanks, Duglas

What's in a name?

Well, FWIW, here is how I mumble those names :eek:

Nyr Dyv: "Nir Div," with a punning "Near Dive" when PCs were about to be immersed.

Flanaess: "Flan-AeCE," the stressed syllable almost sounding "ace," the "Ae" like "Ay" perhaps.

Cheers,
Gary

Tamsar

First Post
Hello Gary,

Since I've been unable to find an answer in this rather humongous thread, can you give all us Gord fan's an update on the proposed Graphic Novels based on the books?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads