TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathal

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
In all I believe that the long term result of this is indeed likely to affect the D&D game adversely. Only time will tell, but the advent of 3.5E so soon after 3E seems to bear out what I envisage.

I believe that a wise gamer, in order to preserve his sanity, ought to downplay the importance of new editions, and especially the constant onslaught of errata. I would suggest to any GM that he read his books carefully, make what changes seem appropriate to him and his players, and leave the "official" errata well enough alone. Or at least---and this is the real point---don't become a slave to such errata and "official updates". When a new edition comes along, buy it if it seems an improvement (and if you happen to have the cash), but don't feel compelled. That's not to suggest that one shouldn't buy what appears interesting. Of course, the temptation to buy the latest thing is strong in one who has the heart of a collector. Heck, I should know...the number of products I have bought and never incorporated into my games is somewhat embarrassing to admit.

If you are heavily involved in tournament play or a D20 publisher, then I'd say you are ensnared in Wizard's web, forced to buy or study new product and rules when new editions arrive. In that case, thank goodness for the OGL and all of the free rules info posted on the web.

If you are like Gary, (in his own words) "...getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules amid the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them," then buy and play Lejendary Adventure. It's a great game for experienced players who are tired of dealing with reams of rules and updates. The only warning is that it is not a game for rules lawyers or people obsessed with 'realistic' battle simulation.

grodog

Hero
Hola Gary---

San Diego Comic Con was a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, you were planning to make some announcements there about some new book deals; did they ever materialize?

satori01

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

There is often player pressure to add complexities and complications to rules and systems, such additions being urged in areas that the players like and believe to be critical to enjoyment of the game. I did that for some writing in OAD&D and regretted it considerably thereafter--mainly weapons vs. armor types and psionics.
I would have been better advised to have explained alignment more carefully, stressing that is was mainly for the DM to use in judging a PCS actions, and not something that should ever be discussed in character unless with clerics or in a debate of morals and ethics, mainly philosphical. Actions should speak for alignment, and a player should have his PC perform according to the alignment chosen without speaking of it.

Gary, I am floored by the courage inherent in that statement,( I shouldnt be given your integrity on display though out the years,)but I find it a statment alas that is all too rarely made by individuals in creative ventures.

Even worse, it seems few individuals in today's coporatate creative world are given the chance to mature in their craft to be able to make such a statement, specificaly given what seemed to be WOTC purging of "veteran" designers, and the emphasis on the "NEW" being a paramount virtue in our world.

It is all to easily to fall into the trap of equating expanding rules complexity with game depth, only to realize that more dice roling or rules doesnt lead to more soul in the game. I certainly went through a period in my halcyon youth of gaming where I created an ever expanding number of house rules to put my own imprint onto my game.

I think you perfectly described a role playing truism learned though the harsh coin of aging, that rules dont make a game better, thoughtful and intelligent participation does. If you dont like your game, dont change the rules enmase, redifine and re examine the aspects of playing the rules should describe.

Last edited:

Hadit

First Post
Hello Gary!
I hope all is well!

I've just come from Dragonfoot where the torch burns as strong as ever for good ole' 1E D&D! (Huzzah!)
A question though... and a hypothetical one at that (which I know you have distaste for... sorry).
If original D&D had remained within your control over these long years, do you imagine that it's future incarnation would be as different in mechanics as LA is now?
In other words, would you have stayed with the original template or do you think such drastic evolution is inevitable?
(The wake of 3.5E brings up such meandering queries... )

I hope your birthday was a hoot and the Armagnac was exquisite!

Take care, Duglas

slaughterj

Explorer
Quick question(s) for double G:

What was the origin of the beholder? Any basis in mythology, etc.? Nothing more than a beast made from the saying "in the eye of the beholder..."?

boschdevil

First Post
Gary,

Here's hoping that your family get-together and your birthday were both a blast.

As for my question, in this month's Dungeon magazine, they have an adventure that reminded me of "The Shrine of the Kuo-Toa". Thus, what was the motivation for the development of the Kuo-Toa? And how did you come up with the name Blibdoolpoolp? Thanks.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Not Been Paying Attention...

Cheers,

This thread has suffered my neglect because of first loafing after my birthday, then getting inspired by the creative muse and working on a new module project. Anyway...

grodog said:
Hola Gary---

San Diego Comic Con was a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, you were planning to make some announcements there about some new book deals; did they ever materialize?

Ah, the blasted Gord the Rogue graphic novel project. It was to have premiered last winter, then this summer at the Chicago Comic Con, but the publisher informs me that continued difficulties with illustratore and inkers have delyed the launch yet again.

The latest word I have is a December announcement for the series. It is to be hoped that the date will not again be changed!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
satori01 said:

Gary, I am floored by the courage inherent in that statement,( I shouldnt be given your integrity on display though out the years,)but I find it a statment alas that is all too rarely made by individuals in creative ventures.

Hi Satori01:)

Thanks for your good words. Over the many years if being active in gaming I suppose I have become even more prone to speak my mind. I just hope I can always recognize when I was off base, say so when that's the case and stand corrected.

Even worse, it seems few individuals in today's coporatate creative world are given the chance to mature in their craft to be able to make such a statement, specificaly given what seemed to be WOTC purging of "veteran" designers, and the emphasis on the "NEW" being a paramount virtue in our world.

Well, what can one say to that, particularly in light of the fact that WotC and other publishers too are going back to remake the "old," and not a single new system has enjoyed the success that OAD&D had. That game was by no means perfect, nor were the modules for it, but they seem to have withstood the test of time much better than the "new school' material for "mature and sophisticated" players.

All that really underscores is that a love of an role-playing game and a desire to make it as much fun, provide great entertainment, are the most important things in design. Those are the factors that impress the gamers. No "art" or desire to make a "cutting edge" game that shows off the author's "creative virtuoisty" (at the expense of play enjoyment) will cut the proverbial mustard.

Learning to recognize errors, admit them, and thus grow creatively is something that has to happen to the competant designer, for Lord knows we all make mistakes!

It is all to easily to fall into the trap of equating expanding rules complexity with game depth, only to realize that more dice roling or rules doesnt lead to more soul in the game. I certainly went through a period in my halcyon youth of gaming where I created an ever expanding number of house rules to put my own imprint onto my game.

I do believe that every gamer with an iota of creativity does that very thing. I had four pages of rules additions to the original Avalon Hill GETTYSBURG boardgame after playing it for just a few months time. After a while we just tossed them aside, for they added nothingbut complications, didn't change the play, and brought no more enjoyment to the game. However, the exercise did teach me a number of the basics of game design. so the effort wasn't wasted.

I think you perfectly described a role playing truism learned though the harsh coin of aging, that rules dont make a game better, thoughtful and intelligent participation does. If you dont like your game, dont change the rules enmase, redifine and re examine the aspects of playing the rules should describe.

Thanks, and I agree. If that approach doesn't do the trick, find a new game where your thinking meshes better with the systems presented therein. When all is said and done, playing a game is about fun, enjoying the experience with a group of fellows. Whatever provides the vehicle for such entertainment is right for those concerned. That applies even if the game is packed with rules, more of them created as in-house material. the only problem with that sort of game is the audience for it will be small, and if the core group disintegrates the campaign is likely to end, and never be revived...

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases