TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, when do you think your LEJENDARY ASTEROGUES expansion for the LA game will be available in stores? I think a huge, sprawling fantasy-science campaign would be a lot of fun.

Howdy Geoffrey:)

Fact is that we play-teted a set of rules similar to the ones now used in the LA game system in a fantasy-science milieu very like the LEJENDARY ASTEROGUES one back about eight years now. The 'ASTEROGUES core rules are good to go, but I have not finished the campaign base setting personality details and plots-counter-plots thread. As with many a writer, last minute pressure makes me perform more quickly. Anyway...

We are in process of making a major move, likely in a couple of month's time to be announced, to expand the LA game and build audience, so I would have to project the release of the LAR Fantastical Science genre books to late 2004 or maybe 2005. A good deal of regular LA game product needs to see print before the go afield--a primer set, core rules additions, the LE world deities book, a sourcebook or two, and a number of new adventure modules have to get out first. When we do the LAR expansion, I do believe I'll have to begin running a campaign of it every other week because I really have fun with the genre :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
Somehow Political correctness seems to be working its way into gaming, and that's a dispicable thing, as Political Correctness is thought control. As author Richard Payne Knight notes, "Poverty of expression will product poverty of conception." Offense at what is said is too easily taken these days, hindering free speech and free thinking.

Cheers,
Gary

AMEN!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ed Cha said:

How insensitive of you to agree with me, and to do si with a word having absolute religious denotations too! You must think, speak, and act the way set down by Authority!

Heh,
Gary

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
How insensitive of you to agree with me, and to do si with a word having absolute religious denotations too! You must think, speak, and act the way set down by Authority!

Heh,
Gary

LOL, I didn't even realize the irony of my response. :)

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
We are in process of making a major move, likely in a couple of month's time to be announced, to expand the LA game and build audience

Wow! Sounds like something to look forward to. :D

MerakSpielman

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Let me say that I am highly doubtful regarding the accuracy of that claim. If as many as 10% of the RPG (excluding LARPers) audience is female, I will be surprised. I have seen other surveys with meaningful samplings that indicate the percentage of females is somewhere between 6% and 9%...
My group was 4 females, 3 males for a long time. Now we're 5 females, 5 males, though we run 4 campaigns and we're not all there for each one. 3 DMs are male and 1 is female. The ages of members of our group: 10, 15, 16, 25, 25, 36, 37, 40, 49, and 51.

Maybe we're just more diverse than a lot of people.

grodog said:
Hey Gary---

Any updates on the Castle Zagyg project for us?
Oh I see Alan trying to stir things up a bit. So has any one heard whether gary has gotten access back to enwolrd? last I had heard that was why he stopped responding had difficulty in logging in
Ken

Hey there Gary...

Glad to hear that Castle Z is moving right along. How exciting it must be to share it with your fans after all these years. In the meantime, I hope you won't mind fielding a couple design questions.

I'm sure you've had some great ideas pop up over the years. Ideas that, for one reason or another, you couldn't put to paper. What I want to know is: How much of Castle Z will absorb those sudden moments of satori, and how much of it will retain its original splendor?

I'm also curious as to whether your extensive gaming experience has tempered the encounters therein or have you chosen to preserve the Castle as it first appeared when Robilar and company made their initial forays?

The desire to build upon one's early work is a temptation not easily overcome. You could hardly be condemned for doing so, but I imagine there's a percentage of fans who would hope for either result. What can you share about your design plans so far?

Sincerely,

Sluggo

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ho There, DM_Rocco!

For some reason I didn't get notice of your post, so pardon the late response. As i am working on three separate design projects I confess it would have been a couple of days lag, but...

Seems to me you and your group played the ToH absolutely right, grabbing the goodies and beating it, just at robilar did;)

Heh, and your Robillard PC story is amusing. Rob Kuntz's Robliar first adventured in the winter of '72, so he is the elder, but you've probably gotten in more action with Robillard than Rob has managed with his PC. Like me, Rob had DMing duties first.

As for adventuring with Mordenkainen, no offense, but most certainly not. I have no idea as to your DMing style, and so he stays home. When Ernie, Rob, Terry, and I took our top PCs into Jim Ward's specially prepared dungeon adventure the first attack was by a lich with a rof of Cancellation. That experience was quite sufficient to teach us all to be wary...and Jim is a known DM and former player in our campign.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads