TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Indigo Rose

First Post
Ed Cha said:
I would love to play in a Castles & Crusades game next year at the Milwaukee Gamefest if you were running one, Gary. :)

I definitely second that! I'm really excited about the upcoming C&C project, and if the Trolls are going to be at next year's Gamefest a C&C demo (or possibly a tournament?) would be a lot of fun, I think! :D

Speaking of which, if I may ask, what exactly is it about the Castles & Crusades project which convinced you to associate with it? Thanks!

Indigo Rose
Knight of the Woeful Countenance

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Indigo Rose said:
I definitely second that! I'm really excited about the upcoming C&C project, and if the Trolls are going to be at next year's Gamefest a C&C demo (or possibly a tournament?) would be a lot of fun, I think! :D

Speaking of which, if I may ask, what exactly is it about the Castles & Crusades project which convinced you to associate with it? Thanks!

Indigo Rose

Hi Indigo Rose:)

When the Trolls mentioned they were developing a set or rules that would be close to OAD&D, I just had to get involved. As you likely have heard, I've been considering doing a publishable version of my original Greyhawk Castle & Dungeons for some time. The C&S rules should be perfect for that project.

I am so confident of the matter that I have already begun, written most of a campaign-base setting module that's titled ZAGYG'S CASTLE, YGGSBURGH, Part One. It is very large, covers an area the size of a small state, has a walled town, smaller communities, wilderness areas, and a lot if information for the GM in addition to many adventure encounters and springboards for others. I have yet to complete five dungeon-like level areas that are part of the adventures detailed in the base work.

Meantime, Rob Kuntz if writing the second part, the DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction as to how Zagyg became as he is now.

After that Rob and I will go to work on the upper levels of the castle, then the dungeons beneath--likely six additional modules, alhtough it might take more to get in all the best of the old levels.

It is going to be a lot of work, but also a good deal of fun;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:

When the Trolls mentioned they were developing a set or rules that would be close to OAD&D, I just had to get involved. As you likely have heard, I've been considering doing a publishable version of my original Greyhawk Castle & Dungeons for some time. The C&S rules should be perfect for that project.

I am so confident of the matter that I have already begun, written most of a campaign-base setting module that's titled ZAGYG'S CASTLE, YGGSBURGH, Part One. It is very large, covers an area the size of a small state, has a walled town, smaller communities, wilderness areas, and a lot if information for the GM in addition to many adventure encounters and springboards for others. I have yet to complete five dungeon-like level areas that are part of the adventures detailed in the base work.

Meantime, Rob Kuntz if writing the second part, the DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction as to how Zagyg became as he is now.

After that Rob and I will go to work on the upper levels of the castle, then the dungeons beneath--likely six additional modules, alhtough it might take more to get in all the best of the old levels.

Cheers,
Gary
Yes and we are all looking forward to it
ken

cimerians

First Post
LA boxed set?

Gary,

Can you give us more info on the LA boxed set and other things the Troll Lords will be releasing? An approximate release date perhaps? I was very excited to hear about the re-issue of LA on Troll Lords site.

Also, will the Lejendary Earth setting be re-released as well in some form from the Trolls?

I also joined C&C....great to hear about all the things they are planning.

By the way how is the Hermit adventure going? Any fatalities yet? ;)

I read through it and its a nice adventure, one I plan on running some-day.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
cimerians said:
Gary,

Can you give us more info on the LA boxed set and other things the Troll Lords will be releasing? An approximate release date perhaps? I was very excited to hear about the re-issue of LA on Troll Lords site.

Howdy Cimerians,

The Trolls have a lot of my material on their plate :D

The LA Primer boxed set isn't all turned in yet. Chris Clark just sent me his cut-down version of the creatures and magic items list. I feel we have too many monsters, can't pare more away, but the Trolls will have the final cut ability if that's so. I believe they are shooting for a March premier at the GAMA show, release soon thereafter.

Also, will the Lejendary Earth setting be re-released as well in some form from the Trolls?

The remaining three books comprising the "Learth" world setting should all be released next year. Thereafter I do believe that Troll Lord Games is planning to put the five parts into hardback form--likely in 2005. I don't know if it will fit in a single volume, but i hope so..

I also joined C&C....great to hear about all the things they are planning.

The project is exciting to me, for sure! Although I am not eager to spend the next two years doing castle-dungeon modules, at least Rob Kuntz is on board, so the work won't eat up every available creative minute. We should begin the actual castle ruins and subterranean levels early next year. Rob is currently working on a follow-up module to my campaign setting one, his being THE DARK CHATEAU, a sort of introduction to the characyer of Zagyg. Meantime, I am awaiting the moster roster for the C&C rules so I can finish my really big introductory piece.

By the way how is the Hermit adventure going? Any fatalities yet? ;)

I read through it and its a nice adventure, one I plan on running some-day.

It is a fun adventure that takes a lot of thinking, especially in the beginning, then some tough combat. Our game session slated for yesterday got cancelled because so many of the players were unable to attend. The third session is slated for the Thursday after Thanksgiving, That are about to enter the Gnome Maze.

No fatalities, yet, but this group is all veteran, and a copuple of them have played for many tears, LA for five or so, so if they are as clever as they were in the HALL OF MANY PANES, I don't expect much in the way of Avatar demises.

Cheers,
Gary

khyron1144

First Post
Dear Esteemed Mr. Gygax, inventor of my hobby, and chief deity of my pantheon,
How does it feel to be an adjective? see here
I bet they got what the term means wrong too.
I apologize, if this has been asked before.

Any advice on how a ferret might level? I gave my brother's PC a ferret as a sort of NPC buddy. This creates some unusual situations. Gold is being split two ways between my brother's PC and his Elf NPC buddy, but monster experience is split three ways. There was enough treasure in the first dungeon to let my brother's Thief go up to level four in one adventure, while the Elf went up a level too. The ferret is lagging by a bit. [this D&D where Elf is a charater class and there are three alignments].

I'm creative enough to come up with a solution myself, but some advice from the master is always apreciated.

Last edited:

cimerians

First Post
Hurry

2004 and 2005 could not arrive quicker for me!

LA, box sets, hardbacks, C&C, Z's Castle............I must say, lots to look forward to!!

Indigo Rose

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:

Cheers,
Gary

My husband and I are anxiously awaiting both the C&C game and Zagyg's Castle, especially after reading all that it will entail! I'm drooling on my keyboard here! Not pretty, but true... :eek: As soon as I hear that pre-orders are being taken, I'm plunking my $$$ down! There's not much I'm willing to buy rpg-wise, sight unseen, but Zagyg's Castle and C&C definitely both make the cut. :)

Indigo Rose

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Cimerians,

The Trolls have a lot of my material on their plate :D

The LA Primer boxed set isn't all turned in yet. Chris Clark just sent me his cut-down version of the creatures and magic items list. I feel we have too many monsters, can't pare more away, but the Trolls will have the final cut ability if that's so. I believe they are shooting for a March premier at the GAMA show, release soon thereafter.

This is another project I'm looking forward to. We've already got the "complete" LA rules, but (and maybe this is just because we're getting older and our brains just aren't as flexible as they used to be!) we've had a difficult time wrapping our heads around the different game concepts. In other words, we keep wanting to refer to AC, hit points, etc. I'm hoping that the boxed set will be to LA what the old "Basic" boxed sets were to AD&D back in the early 80's, and I can just ease my way into the game! :D If we had a LA gaming group in the area, it would probably be easier on us, but it's just the two of us right now. Lots of things to look forward to!

Indigo Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads