TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

grodog

Hero
Henry said:
Allan, I've moved them for you. As a note, I also changed the titles of the first two to include the words, "Part I" and "Part II" to make searching easier.

Can't lose these babies to obscurity! That'd be like losing Louis Armstrong's jam tracks! :)

Thanks Henry! :D

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Hi Grodog,

It's been 3+ weeks since Gary responded to your request for changes to your page, and since then Gez has added some more. Can I politely request a little more speed in acting upon Gary's valuable input so as to keep the info flowing?

Many thanks!

Sir Elton

First Post
Gary,

I would like to know something. Rewinding back to 1986 as well (when I was 12 and I got the basic set), I noticed that you could explore gothic horror themes with the selection of monsters in D&D. In other words, some of the monsters are clearly associated with horror (Golems, vampires, zombies, ghouls, lycanthropes like the Loupe Garou). So it is possible to play D&D with a high horror bent. Did you think about this when you put D&D together?

grodog

Hero
PowerWordDumb said:
Hi Grodog,

It's been 3+ weeks since Gary responded to your request for changes to your page, and since then Gez has added some more. Can I politely request a little more speed in acting upon Gary's valuable input so as to keep the info flowing?

Many thanks!

LOL PWD :D I've been away from my PC for two of those three weeks on holiday, but I plan to get some updates done on the page soon. I'll post here to let folks know that they're done.

FWIW, IIRC, Gez's comment about Bombadil being misspelled is incorrect: Ward's PC wasn't spelled the same as Tolkien's character. I'll validate that one way or the other, though, and append a [sic] if it's intentionally misspelled from Tolkien's version.

mistere29

First Post
Gary, i read in an old interview

"by creating the village of Hommlet and the temple [sic] of Elemental Evil to test some ideas I had about random dungeons, and outdoor terrain so forth."

Could you eleaborate a bit on this. Was the pre-Metzner draft largely designed by the random tables in the dmg?

cimerians

First Post
archive

Henry said:
Allan, I've moved them for you. As a note, I also changed the titles of the first two to include the words, "Part I" and "Part II" to make searching easier.

Can't lose these babies to obscurity! That'd be like losing Louis Armstrong's jam tracks!

Anybody can give us a quick link to the archives?

(My search here doesn't work)

thanks

grodog

Hero
Gary, another question from TSR's early days for you.

In the original, separate editions of the Dungeon Geomorphs and the Outdoor Geomorphs--Walled City, you provided some wonderful examples of dungeon- and city-based encounters (tricks, traps, monsters, city businesses and NPCs, etc.). These were all later dropped from the collected edition of the Dungeon Geomorphs (product 9048, with the red kid-in-the-candystore cover illustration as he populates his dungeon), and the Outdoor Geomorphs were never collected/reprinted (possibly because of low sales/interest?).

Was the material you included in the original geomorphs all drawn from the Greyhawk campaign? The Walled City mentions the Lake of Unknown Depths, so that seems a sure fit, but what about the dungeon geomorph encounters? Also, do you know why your original material from the separate geomorph sets was not included with the reprint?

Thanks again, as always :D

gordonknox

First Post
L

Hello Mr. Gygax,

I would just like to get your opinion on the "L" series of 1st edition modules. I really enjoy them, even the lost L3. Did you play in these campaigns?

Also, have you heard anything on the revamping and resurrection of L4 and L5?

Thank you,

gk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases