TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

talinthas

First Post
here's another question for ya, Gary. Could you explain the concept behind Chromatic and Metallic Dragons?
i mean, the evil dudes make sense, what with breath weapons that more or less match their color, but how did you decide on the five metallics, and why give them two BWs? and why brass, which is just an alloy of bronze and copper, instead of some other naturally occuring metal?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
talinthas said:
here's another question for ya, Gary. Could you explain the concept behind Chromatic and Metallic Dragons?
i mean, the evil dudes make sense, what with breath weapons that more or less match their color, but how did you decide on the five metallics, and why give them two BWs? and why brass, which is just an alloy of bronze and copper, instead of some other naturally occuring metal?

Originally there were the five "chromatic" and evil dragons, each with a color that suited their breath weapon, and a sixth good dragon patterened on the Oriental model of that imaginary creature. As it was bpth or different origination and alignment I desiced to empower the gold dragon so as to more closely resemble the potent Oriental sort. So it got more of everything, including two breath weapons.

There came a time thereafter when more 'metallic" dragons were desirable so as to expand the roster of good, Oriental-type ones. Thus all of them were modeled on the gold dragon template, had two breath weapons.

Logically, with metal value being used as the basis for potency, platunum (Bahamut) being the highest, then gold and silver, the sequence should have been platinum-gold-electrum-silver-copper-bronze. However, I thought bronze looked more potent than copper, and skipped then to brass--that metal conmveying some not-so-benign connotations.

Somehow having good Oriental-model dragons relate to metals such as irridium, tin, and zinc, lead, or iron for that matter, just didn't cut it;)

Cheers,
Gary

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Also, "brass dragon" just sounds better than "tin dragon". :)

Although that could be a good name for a fairy dragon-type creature. I could also see "iron dragon" as a sort of dragon golem.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ed Cha said:
Also, "brass dragon" just sounds better than "tin dragon". :)

Although that could be a good name for a fairy dragon-type creature. I could also see "iron dragon" as a sort of dragon golem.

Ciao Ed,

Speaking of incredible monsters, such as an iron dragon golem would likely be, I have heard from wild-eyes players about some absolutely off-the-wall monsters that include the diamond dragon, the steel toad, and the arch-lamassu. Perhaps I'll include their stats, as I recall them from hearing the account, in the compiled essays book of old D&D game adventure yards that Rob Kuntz and I plan to have published after we have run out of new stories to tell. Likely a slender book titled Tales from Zagyg's Dungeon or sime such.

We were planning to add some additional yarns, material published elsewhere and some new accounts as well. Those incredible monsters would suit the oberall humerous tone of the compilation.

Too bad I've lost my copy of the article in which I wrote up "The Ultimist" character class as an April Fools Day joke, or I'd put that into the collection for sure. If any reader happens to have a copy of that spoof, please sent it to me at: ggygax@genevaonline.com The really funny par is that not a few young power gamers thought it was serious and wanted more details so they could create and play an Ultimist character :eek:

Gary

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Gary,
A quick question for you, why don't you have an avatar with your posts? I would think that an image from your Futurerama appearance would work perfectly.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
talinthas said:
heh. i'm betting that you can make some nice boots out of that steel toad =)

It was created to be a PC killer for sure. Likely it would make boots out of most anything that it comes across.

There was a time when the power gamers spent a good deal of time and effort creating monsters to kill others of their ilk...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Silver Moon said:
Gary,
A quick question for you, why don't you have an avatar with your posts? I would think that an image from your Futurerama appearance would work perfectly.

Ah, well, somewhere I think I have a screen grab of my animated likeness from the Futurama Show, but it's not all that important to me to have some [icture or symbol. Maybe one day, but..

Cheers,
Gary

Flyspeck23

First Post
Silver Moon said:
Gary,
Here is my take on it:
gary.gif

So, no excuse - it's right there ;)

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Gary, I have a question about orc tribes in your campaign. Were the orcs encountered in the Greyhawk dungeon supposed to be part of one or more of the orc tribes listed in the original MM? As the published version of the Greyhawk setting was detailed the Vile Rune and Death Moon tribes were placed in the Bone March, and the Rotting Eye tribe was set in the Yatils, but I've always wondered about the orcs in and around the Greyhawk dungeons.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases