TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottGLXIX said:
Greetings Colonel, I have a follow up to the spell casting and initiative question you answered above. When attacking a spell caster, the DMG gives two methods for determing if the attack or the spell occur first, either the segment indicated by the initiative roll, or a method based on speed factor. What about in situations where the attacker has multiple attack routines, like an archer, or a fighter with two attacks? Will the first attack occur first regardless of casting time, or does the spell caster have the normal chance of getting his spell off before the first attack occurs?
Scott

Hi Scott:)

A spell-casted loosing a one-segment spell such as magic missile is pretty hard to stop. All of my mage PCs have spells of one segment casting time for tight situations,

The physical attack must occur on the segment before a spell is cast to disrupt it--unless concentration is required to keep the spell going.
Multiple attacks don't matter, as the first happens on the segment of the round indicated, then another follows thereafter. So if the first of multiple attacks occurs before the spell is cast, and it hits, that's the one that matters most. Of course the second attack might be even more important, such as one that kills the spell-caster...

Cheers,
Gary

mistere29

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Right you are, and my bad;)

I was thinking of an introductory module I had written that had six pre-generated Avatars in it.

Four ain't shabby, though,as two of them are activators--spell-casters.

Gary

Yeah but the other 2 are basically fighters. 2 more rougish types would have been a good idea. That would cover most of the basic types people like to play

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mistere29 said:
Yeah but the other 2 are basically fighters. 2 more rougish types would have been a good idea. That would cover most of the basic types people like to play

Yes, a Noble Order human and a Dwarf Soldier Order for their combat capacity--the encounters demand some heavy fighting. The beauty of the LA game system is that the player is not confined to a stereotype, so rougish activity can be accomplished as desired, skills facilitating that oicked up so as to enhance that aspect. However, in the adventure presented, such Avatars wouldn't be a lot of use.

Cheers,
Gary

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi Scott:)

A spell-casted loosing a one-segment spell such as magic missile is pretty hard to stop. All of my mage PCs have spells of one segment casting time for tight situations,

The physical attack must occur on the segment before a spell is cast to disrupt it--unless concentration is required to keep the spell going.
Multiple attacks don't matter, as the first happens on the segment of the round indicated, then another follows thereafter. So if the first of multiple attacks occurs before the spell is cast, and it hits, that's the one that matters most. Of course the second attack might be even more important, such as one that kills the spell-caster...

Cheers,
Gary
Thanks Gary! The good news is, that was the last question I had for the AD&D rules. The bad news is, I just started playing DJ and LA, so that's two more systems I have to learn.
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottGLXIX said:
Thanks Gary! The good news is, that was the last question I had for the AD&D rules. The bad news is, I just started playing DJ and LA, so that's two more systems I have to learn.
Scott

Whoa!

Talk about the opposite ends of the skill-based RPG...

MythusMage will likely be delighted to expound on the DJ game whenever you present the opportuity.

The place for LA game discussion is over at www.lejendary.com or on www.dragonsfoot.org in the LA game section there;) You can download a free pdf at either website, The LA Quickstart Rules."

Cheers,
Gary

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Whoa!

Talk about the opposite ends of the skill-based RPG...

MythusMage will likely be delighted to expound on the DJ game whenever you present the opportuity.

The place for LA game discussion is over at www.lejendary.com or on www.dragonsfoot.org in the LA game section there;) You can download a free pdf at either website, The LA Quickstart Rules."

Cheers,
Gary
GT has been very helpful on the DJ side. I have some players rolling up HPs for Unhallowed tonight.
I'll probably wait until the TLG release to start the the LA game, but I might run the advenure included with the quick start rules before then.
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yuppers Scott,

Greg knows his DJ rules very well. Creating HPs takes a while until you get used to it. I got so I could do a dozen in a day, but now I don't need to work so hard, because the LA game is far easier;)

Sometime I'll tell you about the long campaign of Unhallowed I ran, how the whole player group failed to comprehend the purpose of their HPs' mission and thus ended up by being devoured by a demon. I hated it:(

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Sometime I'll tell you about the long campaign of Unhallowed I ran, how the whole player group failed to comprehend the purpose of their HPs' mission and thus ended up by being devoured by a demon. I hated it:(

Cheers,
Gary
Sounds like a good story to hear while sipping some Bombay during Game Fest.
Scot

Melkor

Explorer
Multi Class Saving Throws

Hi Gary,

I'm reading through the old AD&D PHB and DMG, and all these questions are popping up. I'll make this one a little less involved than my previous question.

I noticed that the DMG states that a Multi-Class character uses the "best value" of his classes on the Attack Matrix.....Is the same applied to Saving Throws ? A multiclass character uses the best value between the two classes ?

Thanks!

ScottGLXIX

First Post
Melkor said:
Hi Gary,

I'm reading through the old AD&D PHB and DMG, and all these questions are popping up. I'll make this one a little less involved than my previous question.

I noticed that the DMG states that a Multi-Class character uses the "best value" of his classes on the Attack Matrix.....Is the same applied to Saving Throws ? A multiclass character uses the best value between the two classes ?

Thanks!
Melkor, check the DMG, bottom left of p. 79, "Multi-class characters, characters with two classes, and bards check the matrix for each class possessed, and use the most favorable result for the type of attack being defended against."
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases