TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello again Gary,

I have to echo Manzanita's sentiments when I say that it's great to have you on the boards. You've always been very prompt, humorous, and forthcoming in your responses and I think it sets a great example for the rest of the gaming community.

Anyway, I have a few more questions for you...

I'm curious how you handle alignment infractions in your game. Do you use an honor point system like the one in Oriental Adventures or do you keep your cards pretty close to your chest, choosing not to inform the players and simply let their actions (or lack thereof) inform them of the alignment shift? If you tell them, how do you go about letting the players know? Is it an out-of-game thing or do they find out the hard way while attempting to cast spells?

My second question deals with the glory days of AD&D. I've read many of the questions people throw at you about the old modules, but I can't recall anyone asking this one, so here goes: What do you think is your most under-rated AD&D module? How about the most under-rated AD&D module by another author? Also, what about more recent stuff? Are there any modules out there that appeal to your gaming sensibilities?

Lastly, what are your thoughts on Rob Kuntz's upcoming, updated Maure Castle? I seem to remember you mentioning in a Dragon article that your characters never explored the lower-levels (something about petrification and a hasty teleport?), so I'm curious if you'll be having a second go at the unfinished adventure. As an aside, do you think this could be Rob's way of bringing Mordenkainen out of retirement?

Sincerely and respectfully,

Sluggo

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
sluggo the sleazebag said:
Hello again Gary,

I have to echo Manzanita's sentiments when I say that it's great to have you on the boards. You've always been very prompt, humorous, and forthcoming in your responses and I think it sets a great example for the rest of the gaming community.

Hi Sluggo!

Happy to be here, for these boards are about the best there are on the net. the only place where I have about as many posts as I do here is at the main LA game community boards.

Anyway, I have a few more questions for you...

I'm curious how you handle alignment infractions in your game. Do you use an honor point system like the one in Oriental Adventures or do you keep your cards pretty close to your chest, choosing not to inform the players and simply let their actions (or lack thereof) inform them of the alignment shift? If you tell them, how do you go about letting the players know? Is it an out-of-game thing or do they find out the hard way while attempting to cast spells?

I manage that in my head, keep no notes. A player blatently playing a character out of exprerssed alignment is informed of that fact quite publicly before ther group. I believe that is correct, as the DM sereves as the senses for all PCs. The group would certainly notice such behavior. If alignment infraction is clandestine, then I inform the player that the character is drifting towards whatever different alignment his actions indicate. Of course only clerics would discover such change when attanpting to cast a spell ot regain one that was cast or a new one.

My second question deals with the glory days of AD&D. I've read many of the questions people throw at you about the old modules, but I can't recall anyone asking this one, so here goes: What do you think is your most under-rated AD&D module? How about the most under-rated AD&D module by another author? Also, what about more recent stuff? Are there any modules out there that appeal to your gaming sensibilities?

That's a tough question, for I actually enjoyed writing and DMing all the modules in question. Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth comes to mind. Also the whimsy in Dungeonland, a module that was great fun if approached in a light-hearted manner.

As for other author's modules I can not say, as I have played only a handful, What with writing game rules and modules, running my campaign, and managing bisiness affairs, my playing time was curtailed severely around the time modules began to proliferate. By then I was playing a goodly number of other RPGs to test them or because they offered a refershing inspirational change from pure fantasy.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on Rob Kuntz's upcoming, updated Maure Castle? I seem to remember you mentioning in a Dragon article that your characters never explored the lower-levels (something about petrification and a hasty teleport?), so I'm curious if you'll be having a second go at the unfinished adventure. As an aside, do you think this could be Rob's way of bringing Mordenkainen out of retirement?

It will be interesting to see the material when Rob finishes it. He and are will soon be collaborating in the Castle Zagyg modules, the material from my original campaign which he co-DMed with me after the first year or so it was running. As that will keep us busy for two years or so, I don't know how much time there'll be to adventure in Castle Maure, but Mordie would enjoy blowing up lost of stuff there for sure;)

It is likely that Rob and I will be co-GMing at least one group of players in an adventure using the Castle Zagyg base setting at Milwaukee Gamefest this July. The C&C Rules from Troll Lord Games being used for the material, that should pretty well duplicate OAD&D play. The year after we can likely do the same for the upper levels of the dungeon, and in 2006 the whole of the dungeon complex.

Cheerio,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
The year after we can likely do the same for the upper levels of the dungeon, and in 2006 the whole of the dungeon complex.

Cheerio,
Gary

2006 before we see Castle Zagyg?

I should have you know Gary, that after waiting 21 years for that material, if anything untoward befalls you in the next two years, I fully intend on Resurrecting you. :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
2006 before we see Castle Zagyg?

I should have you know Gary, that after waiting 21 years for that material, if anything untoward befalls you in the next two years, I fully intend on Resurrecting you. :p

Heh...

Thought about that as I recalled:

The tusks that clashed in mighty brawls of mastadons are billiard balls.
The sword of Charlemagne the Just is ferrous oxide known as rust.
Great Ghengis Khan and all his band now help to fertilize the land.
The grizzly bear whose potent hug was feared by all is now a rug.
While Caesar's bust is on the shelf, and I don't feel so well myself.

However...

The campaign base setting, Yggsburgh, is nearly ready for turnover. it is an area of about 1,500 square miles, expandable by the GM to around twice that size by using the map provided and descriptive text. the smaller size is to make inclusion on the campaign world easier. The settng includes a well-detailed town of 20K plus population, with history, political, military, social, and economic information, plus several smaller communities, all manner of geographical features with details and encounters and/or adventure hooks, and five dungeon-like areas, the third of which I should be detailing right now :uhoh:

Rob is working on the second part now, a dungeon-like area that introduces the Mad Archmage before he attained deital prowess. The original material for the castle and dungeon levels beneath it will be revised and detailed using the old maps and encounter notes. that is the most difficult part of the prohect, as we will have to work from my model of 13 levels, that expanded ro about 20 by me, then to over 40 when Rob joined forces with me as co-DM. Our mission is to keep the number of levels presented to a reasonable quantity while covering all the major places and features of the original models.

This will require approximately five above ground maps and 25 below ground ones. Maybe two years to execute the lot is a tad optomistic...

Cheers,
Gary

Bulldogc

First Post
hey gary thanks for the great game. i got a quick question for u
the monks ability to dodge missiles, would that also apply to large rocks tossed by giants?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Bulldogc said:
hey gary thanks for the great game. i got a quick question for u
the monks ability to dodge missiles, would that also apply to large rocks tossed by giants?
Hi Billdogc,

Oddly, that's a question that has not ever been asked of me before, and one that I haven't considered until now. I'll "think in print" now:

A boulder hurled by a giant is centainly a missile. While a lot more deadly than an arrow, it is larger, not traveling as fast, so it can be seen more easily. It isn't so large as to preclude moving outside its path or area of impact.

Now my amswer. Yes, a monk can dodge a boulder hurled by a gaint, or one from a catapult for that matter. This assumes that the monk is watching and sees the missile coming at him.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Colonel,

I recently reread the Gord the Rogue series of novels (quite good, btw although I need "City of Hawks" and "Dance of Demons" to complete my collection). I really enjoyed them, especially for the image of Greyhawk and Oerth that they give the reader. However, one thing has bugged me for low these many years:

How did you come up with the name "Gord" for the main protagonist?

Don't get me wrong, I like the character and think he portrays a thief character rather well. It's just that every so often I get the urge to refer to him as "Pumpkin." :) No offense intended!

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel,

I recently reread the Gord the Rogue series of novels (quite good, btw although I need "City of Hawks" and "Dance of Demons" to complete my collection). I really enjoyed them, especially for the image of Greyhawk and Oerth that they give the reader. However, one thing has bugged me for low these many years:

Don't get me wrong, I like the character and think he portrays a thief character rather well. It's just that every so often I get the urge to refer to him as "Pumpkin." :) No offense intended!

Gray Mouser

Heh!

Mouser, I didn't name him Gourd now, did I?

Joking aside, I pondered what to call an orphan left with no name and raised by a vile old harridan. Then it came to me. She just called him "boy" most of the time, but when she was irritated or angry she would thump him on his head and say "gourd," as if he was as stupid as a vegetable. So the poor lad assumed that name, but as "Gord" as in short for Gordon, perhaps.

Leena was a really rotten human being...

Cheers,
Gary

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel,
Gray Mouser

That's actually a plot point covered in City of Hawks, so I doubt Gary would want to spoil that for you.

Oops, look like I posted just as Gary did. D'oh!

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JohnRTroy said:
That's actually a plot point covered in City of Hawks, so I doubt Gary would want to spoil that for you.

Oops, look like I posted just as Gary did. D'oh!

Hi JRT!

Not much of a plot point, actually, more a detail of how wretched Gord's life was as a foundling. Knowing how he got his name doesn't reveal the plot of the City of Hawks story;)

Ciao,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases