TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Elton

First Post
Drifter Bob, you have some good ideas. However, perfection is unattainable :D.

Gary,

Combat is brought into the foray because some emotions (except fear and faith) are hard to inspire in a game. I think what Drifter Bob wants to do is come up with a mechanic that makes this part of the game more imaginative. Although I don't know how he can do this.

That being said, is it possible to make a successful module around, say, a Gothic Romance novel?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:

Gary,

Combat is brought into the foray because some emotions (except fear and faith) are hard to inspire in a game. I think what Drifter Bob wants to do is come up with a mechanic that makes this part of the game more imaginative. Although I don't know how he can do this.

That being said, is it possible to make a successful module around, say, a Gothic Romance novel?

Well Amigo,

Making an adventure based on any novel is pretty well doomed to failure. Using ideas and plot concepts from novels is workable. I have not read any gothic Romance novels, bit I have seen s few on the telly. There are elements in those that one could build into a heavy-on-role-playing module. A good deal of the romance would go by the boards even then.

What would be left are mainly problem solving and antagonistic roles, i should think...

Cheers, Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Napftor said:
Hi Gary!

I'm hoping this hasn't been asked in the oodles of posts before this, but can you shed any light on a chess set supposedly given to employees at TSR over Christmas in 1984? That is what a seller is claiming on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&category=2545&sspagename=STRK:MEAWA:IT&rd=1

Thanks!

Hola Napftor!

Sure I can. I have one. They were sculpted by "Duke" Siefried, and come in a plasitic woodgrain box with beds for each of the 32 pieces. The chessboard top lifts off to reveal the men. The two sides are Good(white) and Evil (black) with different pawns and pieces. They came unpaionted, with the black men blackwashed.

I don't recall how many sets were made, but the number is small.

Cheers,
Gary

Napftor

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Hola Napftor!

Sure I can. I have one. They were sculpted by "Duke" Siefried, and come in a plasitic woodgrain box with beds for each of the 32 pieces. The chessboard top lifts off to reveal the men. The two sides are Good(white) and Evil (black) with different pawns and pieces. They came unpaionted, with the black men blackwashed.

I don't recall how many sets were made, but the number is small.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks! But I was also wondering if the history was correct as advertised. Anything else you'd care to add? Just wondering so if I hopefully win this puppie than I know what to tell others about its past. :D

Sir Elton

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well Amigo,

Making an adventure based on any novel is pretty well doomed to failure. Using ideas and plot concepts from novels is workable. I have not read any gothic Romance novels, bit I have seen s few on the telly. There are elements in those that one could build into a heavy-on-role-playing module. A good deal of the romance would go by the boards even then.

What would be left are mainly problem solving and antagonistic roles, i should think...

Cheers, Gary

I better stop asking you questions about modules then. The more I ask about doing a particular genre, the more you show that we are thinking along the same vein. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Napftor said:
Thanks! But I was also wondering if the history was correct as advertised. Anything else you'd care to add? Just wondering so if I hopefully win this puppie than I know what to tell others about its past. :D

Heh,

I thought I had done that;) Duke was at TSR then, and he was hoping to expand the company's lines by adding cast items such as resin play models for adventure modules and metal miniature figures. The sets were given out as Christmas presents, yes.

I recall autographing the set in question, and I think it was at GenCon 2000. I remarked that I had just gotten out my own set and played a couple of games of chess with it not long before.

As for the number, I can't say. There were c. 300 employees at TSR then, but there might have been an over-run of sets, perhaps as many as 500. OTOH, the run might have been as small as 300. Either way, the item is rare, and the pieces look quite good in play.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:
I better stop asking you questions about modules then. The more I ask about doing a particular genre, the more you show that we are thinking along the same vein. :D

Heh-heh-heh!

Don't want to give any ideas, eh?

Be sure and have a look at the next volume in the "Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds" series of reference books being published by Troll Lord Games. It is called Insidae as a grabber title, but it is simply a very complete guide to plotting adventure modules. The author is Dan Cross, and he did an excellent job. Using it and a work of fiction as the inspiration for the module, I do believe almost any genre and storyline could be crafted into an interesting adventure piece.

I believe they plan to release the book in early summer. I know they are editing it now.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your response to my last question on family gaming. It was quite informative and gave me a lot to think about since my young daughter has been eyeing my miniatures of late.

In the meantime, I have another question for you. I'm playing a dwarven cleric that can't seem to get any respect from the other players. They're quite pushy about having me heal them whenever they get into the fray, even if they've only taken a few scratches. Moreover, they can't wait for me to offer any help, they simply demand it. They also expect me to set aside spells for the food and water they always seem to forget, which can be frustrating for a guy who doesn't have that many spell slots and is trying to play a battle cleric. In short, I'm feeling a bit disrepected and considering whether or not I should cut them off or simply start charging them for spells.

I know it sounds bad, but I was hoping you could help me out with some sage advice. I don't want to become an unhelpful, adamant dwarf, but I would like to find a happy middle ground with these guys.

Sincerely,

Sluggo

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Sluggo,

Sounds that the other PCs are indeed presuming far too much on the kind offices of your cleric. In all, the worker is worthy of his hire, and to continue to do his good work, the cleric should receive both respect and contributions.

He might explain that his ministrations are limited by his capacity to inact spells, and those spells are granted to him by his deity. The latter is quite upset at the disrespect being shown him (or her) by the other PCs who are treating his (or her) clerical servant as their servant. That belittles the deity, and unless attitudes change immediately, generous cointributions to the priest are made in return for his services on behalf of the deity, no more spells will be forthcoming.

If the deity is speaking through the cleric, and it would under such circumstances, how can the others demure? If they do, they should risk rather severe retribution.

FWIW,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases