TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jupp

Explorer
hehe cool, now that you say this, there is an age old childrens song here in Switzerland called "Gi-ga-gax" that is about a goose mother walking along the road with its little children.
Too bad I never examined the whole thing more when I was in Seeberg, Switzerland where I had military service not too long ago. I am sure I would have seen at least one of those family crests with a goose on it. There are dozens of Gygax in that village :)

T. Foster

First Post
Hi Gary,

I've been reading the reports of your 'new' OD&D Castle Greyhawk adventures, and notice that you started the players out as 3rd level characters on the 1st dungeon level. Was this because of the toughness of the particular dungeon (i.e. level 1 of Greyhawk Castle is equivalent difficulty to level 3 elsewhere -- perhaps because the inhabitants have increased toughness/experience due to all the adventurers they've slain over the years)? Or is it a more general decision that 1st level OD&D characters are too fragile and that 'modern' players need more of an initial boost (noting that in most modern games, even something as ostensibly 'old school' as C&C, that starting characters have significantly more power than 1st level OD&D characters -- more hp, better attack rolls, WAY more spells -- typically 4 0-level and 3 1st level spells vs. 1 1st level spell for magic-users and no spells at all for clerics)? Or am I reading too much into this and the real explanation was something else entirely?

Regards,

grodog

Hero
Gary---

How about a general update on your current writing projects, and what books you have in the pipeline, with release dates? Christmas is coming, and I'd like some new Gygax and Kuntz under the tree! :D

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
You may have addressed this question before, Gary, but there is a discussion going on about where exactly the lich originated. I'm inclined to say the lich/phylactery was based on Sauron/Ring and others have guessed it was based on the Russian Koschei. Where did you come up with these guys? One of these sources, or somewhere else?

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Grodog and All!
BTW, the actual Gygax Family arms are a white goose passant on a green field with a gold star (mullet) in the dexter canton and a bison horn in base, IIRR.

Compare that to the device of the County of Urnst.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

dead

Explorer
Hi Gazza,

After you left TSR, the company released some atrocious Greyhawk material (for example, WG7 Castle Greyhak). Was this a coincidence or a retalitory attack against you?

Also, after you left TSR, you finished the Gord the Rogue books. At the end of the cycle, Oerth bites the bullet. Was this your way of saying that Greyhawk is dead and that fans should turn away from TSR's version with disdain?

So . . . in other words, did TSR release the Invoked Devestation (WG7 and others) and you respond in kind with the Rain of Colorless Fire (the final Gord book).

Besides that, what long-term campaigns are you running at the moment? How many? What systems are you using? Do you have a D&D 3E campaign on the go?

Thanks. :)

Colonel_Pladoh,

I'm glad to hear you are recovering and writing. I've always felt there is no better incentive for one's health than to have a purpose to keep you going.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions, ones that I'm sure have been asked before, but since I can't find any record of them, I'll let fly with them here:

1) How much of Castle Zagyg has been completed? Are you in the editing phase and, if so, how many parts of the adventure can we expect to see in the coming year?

2) I know this is a touchy subject for you, so forgive me for asking, but how difficult would it be to convert the series to Greyhawk? Like many of your fans, I would like to experience your masterpiece in its original context. Would I be better off placing the castle near Greyhawk city, or using the city that accompanies the module?

3) Have you expanded upon ideas originally present in Zagyg's Castle or have you remained true to the original design?

4) I know that Zagyg's Castle has been designed for the Troll Lord's system, but if you could choose an alternate set of rules, which of the following would you recommend for your masterpiece: OD&D, Basic D&D, AD&D, or another more recent version of D&D? Again, forgive the sacrilige of my questions.

5) Now that you're knee deep into the adventure (perhaps nearing, or having reached the end), have you gained a new perspective over the module? Can you point to some elements of the adventure which made it so unique as to be honored in gaming legend?

Thanks in advance for any response. Here's hoping your health improves,

Shock the Monkey

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Grodog and All!
BTW, the actual Gygax Family arms are a white goose passant on a green field with a gold star (mullet) in the dexter canton and a bison horn in base, IIRR.

Compare that to the device of the County of Urnst.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases