TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
scadgrad said:
Mr. Gygax,

As so many have said before, thank you for this game. It has brought me so much joy over the past 27 years. Additionally, your list of suggested reading was invaluable to those of us with no peer group to make such recommendations in the dark days of 1980. East Tennessee in those days was not exactly chock-full of fantasy literature fans.

You are welcome, and I am happy to have provided some fun and enjoyment. i was fortunate to have several close friends who were great F&SF fans, so little escaped out notice back in the 1950s, and I remained avidly reading in the genres through the 1960. Thereafter I had less time to read, did more historical reading as well/

I'm curious about the origins of a few of the original monsters from the MM; the Gnoll in particular and later, the Flind. I've heard that these have an origin in fantasy literature, but for the life of me I can't imagine which series one might find them featured in. As a follow up to that question, of the monsters in that early tome, and in fact quite a few beasties of OD&D and AD&D, there are a good number which were entirely made from whole cloth, name and all. Of those, is there one, or a group, which you're particularly pleased with? I've always found the idea of the Puddings to be just wildly imaginative and appreciate the way that such strange, original creatures have become part of our shared experience.

I took the general name from a short story in The Magazne of Fantasy & Science Fiction, "The Man who sold Rope to the Gnoles". everything else i made up to suit the game;)

The flind is not my creation, it was done by a Brit, and first apeared in White Dwarf magazine, then in the Fiend Folio.

And finally, one last question concerning level-draining, the latest edition makes this setback considerably less problematic than in the original. Personally, I prefer something closer to the original ruling, but I'm wondering, did your original players detest this rule as much as one might imagine (God knows my players always loathed it)? And, was this simply a very real method of instilling a sense of dread and fear into the players when confronted by powerful Undead? It always seemed cruel to me, but boy, it made those encounters tense and perhaps that was the point all along.

Continued good health to you Sir and looking forward to what you and the Trolls do w/ Castle Xagyg.

How I detest namby-pamby whiners that expect to play a real RPG without threat of character death or loss of a level, stat points, or even choice magic items! Without such possibilities, what it the purpose of play, a race to see which character can have the greatest level, highest stats, and largest horde of treasure? That is just too flaccid for words.

As an aside, level draining is less cruel that house rules I have heard about that cause loss of sight or appendages.

You pegged the reason for my adding that to the system. The threat is potent, yet does not actually kill the PC. There is even a clerical restoration possible, that costing much in the way of monetary and magical items likely, thus getting them out of play and giving more reason to PC to keep adventuring.

That said, when I was playing I dreaded seeing level-draining undead monsters, and thus they added as much excitement to the situation as might a death-dealing dragon;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Thank you very, very much Gary! By the way, my wife says to me, "Gary Gygax costs you more money than anyone else on earth!" I'm afraid she's right. What with all your LA, DJ, AD&D, and D&D products (and soon C&C products as well!) that I buy...

Keep up the good work!

UNFAIR!

What about the amount of entertainment delivered by those same products. Compare the hours provided by games to the cost and time provided by going to the movies;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Napftor

Explorer
Greetings, Gary!

I saw a few posts ago here that you mentioned lifetime subscriptions to DRAGON. Are the folks who bought into this deal still receiving the magazine, do you suppose (I know you aren't privy to concrete facts here, but how about a guess)? And how much did a "lifetime subscription" cost when it was offered?

Thanks!
--Bret

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Napftor said:
Greetings, Gary!

I saw a few posts ago here that you mentioned lifetime subscriptions to DRAGON. Are the folks who bought into this deal still receiving the magazine, do you suppose (I know you aren't privy to concrete facts here, but how about a guess)? And how much did a "lifetime subscription" cost when it was offered?

Thanks!
--Bret

As I recall a lifetime sub to DRAGON was $300 and a like sub to game products was $700, about 30 people signed up for both, a few subbed only to the zine and likewise to the games offer. Each year the subber would have to complete and return a form saying that they wished to continue, and there was some considerable attrition that way.

I can't guess how many were left after 1985, but around then I think there were only about a dozen or so still receiving the zines and game products.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, I have a question regarding the playtesting of the G and D series modules. Did you run these modules as part of your campaign or was it a separate set of adventures that didn't impact the Greyhawk campaign in any substantial way?

Also, since Q1 was actually not of your original devising, how did you end the Giants-Drow series for those players who made it through the modules? Did they end up in the Abyss facing Lolth, face the Elder Elemental God (and be utterly destroyed, I am sure), hang out in the Drow's underworld wrecking havok, simply return to the upper world or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, just thought of another question for you :)

With the popularity of late of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies which of your 1e modules would you most like to have made into a Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery movie? (BTW, as long as we're engaging in a little wishful thinking just assume the movie budget is comparable to that of the LoTR :) ).

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Heh, OK, last question for the night :)

With all the talk about Kobalds recently, I got to wondering if you specifically visualized them as dog-like. The picture in the monster manual appears that way, but I don't recall it being specified as such. The kobalds in The Keep on the Borderlands, however, are referred to as "dog-men", and I seem to remember an Erol Otus picture in a module where they appear somewhat canine (although I can't recall the module off hand). Anyway, was the dog-like appearance something you thought of or simply the result of the Monster Manual artist's (DCS, wasn't it?) imagination?

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, I have a question regarding the playtesting of the G and D series modules. Did you run these modules as part of your campaign or was it a separate set of adventures that didn't impact the Greyhawk campaign in any substantial way?

Also, since Q1 was actually not of your original devising, how did you end the Giants-Drow series for those players who made it through the modules? Did they end up in the Abyss facing Lolth, face the Elder Elemental God (and be utterly destroyed, I am sure), hang out in the Drow's underworld wrecking havok, simply return to the upper world or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser

By the time I wrote the G and D series modules, the group of players I DMed for had altered considerably from that of the early 70s, although Ernie and Rob and Terry Kuntz were still there. The adventures in the two series were indeed a part of the overall campaign, and a number of the PCs involved belonged to TSR employees, including Tim Kask and James Ward. We played in the TSR building a good deal after regular working hours.

The successful handling of the G and D series didn't really have any impact on the campaign, save to beef up the PCs. When the lads managed to penetrate all the way to the Vault of the Drow it was most disheartening to me. They took one look around and made haste to get away, so they never did much in the way of wreaking havoc down there, let alone run into Lolth or the Elder Elemental God.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, just thought of another question for you :)

With the popularity of late of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies which of your 1e modules would you most like to have made into a Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery movie? (BTW, as long as we're engaging in a little wishful thinking just assume the movie budget is comparable to that of the LoTR :) ).

Gray Mouser

Whew, 'Mouser!

That's a tough question, mainly because all of those adventures were designed with gaming in mind, not the telling of a dramatic tale. The fact is that I don't think any of them would serve as the basis for a major motion picture. About the only writing of mine that might be viable are the "Magister Setne Inhetep" fantasy mystery novels. and as they are each around 200 pages long, they would convert to a film script pretty handily. Thay they were written for the Dangerous Journeys FRPG system, Mythus, is of no matter, as the few game-specific portions could easily be altered. So too the world setting, the "AErth."

Cheers,
Gary

Hello Gary, I'm someone who recently rediscovered his love for old school D&D. Really miss the feel of the old game. I could ask you many questions, but I'll try to keep it short.

First, in the Holmes basic set, there is mention of a "witch" class being in the AD&D Player's Handbook. Well we all know there was no witch. Was there originally a witch class that got dropped or was it entirely a figment of Holmes imagination?

Second, was there anything you REALLY wanted to do for AD&D but never got the chance?

Third, besides Castle Zagyg, are you planning on doing any more stuff for C+C?

Thanks, and BTW, Sorcerer's Scroll was the best column ever in Dragon, I'll be running Castle Zagyg this summer (I hope), and Erol Otus drew the best kobolds of any artist who ever worked for TSR or WotC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases