TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Maliki

First Post
Just a simple thanks, for all the countless hours of fun you have given to me, for all the friends I've made because of the simple game that you created all those years ago. thank you Mr. Gygax.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
Speaking of which... What's your favorite food, Gary?

... Yeah.

Well...

That's like asking what my favorite game is. I am a gastronome but not above enjoying a tamale ot poor boy sandwich. My favorite cuisine is Italian (northern at the top) then French (nouville at the botton), then chinese, next Hungarian, then a bunch are tied--for example Moroccan, Spanish, Indian, Japanese, British, German-Swiss...

Never guess I am having a glass of wine before dinner, eh? :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Maliki said:
Just a simple thanks, for all the countless hours of fun you have given to me, for all the friends I've made because of the simple game that you created all those years ago. thank you Mr. Gygax.

Make that "Gary," and you've got a warm "welcome!" :D

Cheerio,
Gary

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
That's like asking what my favorite game is. I am a gastronome but not above enjoying a tamale ot poor boy sandwich. My favorite cuisine is Italian (northern at the top) then French (nouville at the botton), then chinese, next Hungarian, then a bunch are tied--for example Moroccan, Spanish, Indian, Japanese, British, German-Swiss...

Never guess I am having a glass of wine before dinner, eh? :lol:

Cheers,
Gary
Just one glass? ;) I'm also one for trying a huge amount of cuisines, though.

Really, I've been reading this thread for a long time, but not being an OD&D player, I never knew what to ask. The things I did want to know have been asked and you've been vague about (I'm really interested in Mordenkainen, what a legend!). So I just decided to ask you the first thing that came to mind.

I don't think anyone can thank a creative mind enough, but we can try to honor them by furthering their creativity. Thanks anyway. :heh:

foehammerx

First Post
Your Patience is staggering Gary,

Will the Town of Yggsburg be interchangeable with the The City of GH, and The New castle Zagig be interchangeable with Castle GH. I was assuming one inspired the other?

Which of the futuristic settings/systems do your prefer?

I heard you say you liked the Castles and Crusades setting which is d20 compliant. What did they do differently from core d20 that made you give ‘em the nod?

What world was the old D&D cartoon set on? (WoG?, Known World?)

Did you have anything to do with creating Warduke, Were you pissed when he captured the Dungeon Master?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
foehammerx said:
Your Patience is staggering Gary,

Not astonishing if you think of my responding as a form of conversation with fellows with a similar interest.

Will the Town of Yggsburg be interchangeable with the The City of GH, and The New castle Zagig be interchangeable with Castle GH. I was assuming one inspired the other??

Yggsburgh is nothing like a vast city. It can be placed into almost ant campaign world, even though its area covers at least 1,200 square miles. If it is placed on the WoG map, the town is some miles south of the City of Greyhawk.

As for the so-called Cstle Greyhawk module, it is a bad joke, and I shall say no more.

Which of the futuristic settings/systems do your prefer?

Mainly my own;)

I heard you say you liked the Castles and Crusades setting which is d20 compliant. What did they do differently from core d20 that made you give ‘em the nod?

D20? Not that I can detect. It is quite similar to OAD&D though...

What world was the old D&D cartoon set on? (WoG?, Known World?)

Heh, as if Marvel would wish to bind the hands of its writers by adding yet more "bible" material to their requirements. In short, no world at all save that developed by the stories written for the show.

Did you have anything to do with creating Warduke, Were you pissed when he captured the Dungeon Master?

No, that was based on a toy figure done by Duke Siefried who was then employed by TSR.
As for dungeon Master being captures, I felt not the least qualm and passed the script back for production without comment other than approval.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
Just one glass? ;) I'm also one for trying a huge amount of cuisines, though.

Indeed, and I forgot to mention Ethopian cuisine, one of my favorites but difficult to find. The best restaurant serving it that i have come across is the Blue Nile in Washington DC.

Really, I've been reading this thread for a long time, but not being an OD&D player, I never knew what to ask. The things I did want to know have been asked and you've been vague about (I'm really interested in Mordenkainen, what a legend!). So I just decided to ask you the first thing that came to mind.

What about OAD&D? :eek:

I don't think anyone can thank a creative mind enough, but we can try to honor them by furthering their creativity. Thanks anyway. :heh:

Heh, well, as long as the creativity is put to useful ends, right!

Thanks for your good words,
Gary

Napftor

Explorer
Hello again, Gary. These threads just keep getting more interesting.

While we're on topic of the D&D cartoon (which I love and watch an episode of every Sat. morning to this day), which script was your favorite and why? Same questions for which writer (I'm partial to Michael Reaves but Jeffrey Scott was prolific and maintained some good quality as well).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed, and I forgot to mention Ethopian cuisine, one of my favorites but difficult to find. The best restaurant serving it that i have come across is the Blue Nile in Washington DC.

Gary

We do have quite a few Ethiopian and Eritrean restraunts here...I noticed Thai and Vietnamese where not on your list, perhaps something to add?

Ohh, and there is quite a difference between the leg of the lamb and the kidney of the lamb...but a glass of Bordeux is always tres bien , to bad it is so expensive here in the states

In any case, as always this has been a great Q&A, thanks for this and so much more Gary!

trollwad

First Post
placement of yggsburgh

since it is a non-wog product, you wont give 'official' guidance on where to place yggsburgh. but, unofficially, if your fans pleaded for some potential locations for yggsburgh on the WOG map, where might "some miles south (of greyhawk)" be?

presumably north of hardby. possibly on the western edge of the marshes between greyhawk and hardby (since the yggsburgh map seems to have swampy lake on it), about halfway between those two larger cities? Then, simply move 'zagyg's castle in the setting to this location rather than its official WOG setting just to the north of the city and then I can use your new material and not have to obsolesce my WOG collection?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads