TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Abisai said:
Gary,

Ever ventured in video games? Thought of it?

How about comics?

I was involved as designer in three videogame projects. Each of them went beyond the first stage, but none ever made full production, each one being killed for a different reason. (No, I don't care to give details.) We are working towards a MMP online version of the Lejendary Adventure RPG now, I am involved with scripting for the Dark & Light MMP managed by Alchemic Dream, and we are in initial stages of discussion with another group in regards a new online geme.

Of course I have written the premises and some detals for about a score of other computer games, none of which aroused keen interest amongst the producers they were given to.

As for comics, I had written one for the DJ system's Mythus game's module, Necropolis; but the plans to priduce it were killed when TSR sued. There was also the intent of having the gord novels done as graphic ones. this has fallen through due to the lousy market for comic books these days.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Heh. First "dude" and now "word." Colonel are you cutting a rap album or something?

Gray Mouser

I blame it on me being young at heart, never growing up...and having an 18-year-old son that does listen to (c)rap music :]

heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
This brings up a question about Metamorphosis Alpha, Gary. I was under the impression that the game took place aboard the Starship Warden and that was its campaign milieu. Is this incorrect?

Gray Mouser

You are quite correct. The Starship Warden is huge, though, kilometers across!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
Quoted from previous thread (for real this time :eek:):

I'd agree. Less than three, there's not enough diversity with PC abilities that a typical game needs. More than 8 or 9, there's too many players to really keep everyone focused on the game.

Yuppers;) One genius or two very able players can get by, but who to such a small group if they are not "on" during a session where the challenges are extreme. Three or more persons tend to cross-pollenate ideas and the diversity of abilities amongst several characters makes play easier and more interesting.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
Wow! It was listed as stock #1009 in the 1981 "Gateway to Adventure" catalog I got in my Basic Box set (Moldvay edited). Same page as "Warlocks and Warriors" and "Divine Right".
As I don't like Arthurian legend, it doesn't surprise me in the least I don't recall the game. It surely made no particular sales success or i would have remembered it.

The Superhero game was Marvel Superheros, and most of the release dates seem to be after your departure from TSR, so I guess that explains it.
Right on both counts;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, how pleased were you with Eric Holmes's basic D&D rulebook from 1977? Was it pretty much what you wanted, or did it in places go off the rails?

Last edited:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I blame it on me being young at heart, never growing up...and having an 18-year-old son that does listen to (c)rap music :]

The wife and I both live by that motto. Grow old, but never grow up. You'll be happier.

Bregh

Explorer
Heya, Gary,

Glad to hear you're feeling better, please accept my best wishes on your continued improvement!

Now, as a point of general interest, I read a post by one of your OD&D campaign players on Dragonsfoot, where he remarks that he and his fellows have actually managed to rout (if not completely crush) the Old Guard Kobolds on the first dungeon level of Castle Greyhawk. I was wondering if you had any comments on the matter (praise for the players, lament for the ruin of the OGK), and if you had entertained what menaces might now come to fill the void left by their passing...

SuStel

First Post
Preparation

Hi, Gary!

I know that you like to improvise a lot of your game-judging, but I'd love to hear about how much preparation you usually put into an adventure before you run it. Do you just make up everything whole-cloth? Do you draw a few chicken-scratches for a map, then take it from there? Draw a nice map and write up an encounter key to go with it? How much detail goes into your notes? If another game referee looked at your notes, would he be able to puzzle them out (handwriting issues notwithstanding)?

Also, as a man who can't help but drool whenever he walks into a stationery supply store, I'd enjoy hearing about what you write your notes on. My guess is that it's whatever you have at hand. You mentioned earlier that you "still" (huh?) use pencils with erasers. But do you prefer notebooks? looseleaf? graph paper? computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads