TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Too true. Because of a transfer, a layoff, and a shattered clavicle (ice hockey injury!), my online life diminished for a few years there. Now, I feel like it has been turned from stone to flesh!
Good to learn that you've recovered!

A good chunk of your missive cut in interest of time....

I will say that I have recruited every one of my six children to the gaming hobby, and it stuck on half of them, the three boys ;)

You got it. Too many of us Christians talk the talk, but I think a lot of us have to "bring it" if we really want to change the world. (small tangent/parable) That reminds me of a preacher I heard say that a woman complained that Christianity doesn't work because of the suffering and discord in the world. He replied that soap must have failed because there's still plenty of b.o. in the world. Her response was, "No, you have to use it." His answer? So it is with Christianity. We have to use it. :D (end tangent)
I just read an article regarding the positive effect of faith and prayer in regards to surviving illness and healing.

Oh yeah -- any chance we'll see a reprint of the Gord books? I know the graphic novels were shelved, but I was hoping to see Gord re-printed. If not, I plan on finishing my collection through ebay and Amazon sources.

Michael / Zudrak
the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that. When I have, i'll then see about finding a publisher that would be interested in reprinting all seven of the books in hardback form. If those sell well, a new paperback edition can follow.

I had agreed to a deal where the books were to be done as graphic novels, but sadly the terrible conditions in the comic and graphic novel market have squelched the arrangement :(

Cheers,
Gary

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I realy wish I had an honest question to ask you, I just more enjoy reading this thread and your sense of humor, good stuff. :)

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that.

Hey Gary, be sure to post which issue that story will be out in when you know. Like the recent issue of Dungeon I bought to get Rob's updated "Maure Castle" I'd brave even a 3.x filled Dragon to read an exploit or two of Gord's :)

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, how much of a skeptic are you regarding paranormal stuff (ghosts, psychic powers, astrology, the occult, etc)?

I for one am a complete skeptic. Reality is one thing, and FRPGs are another. The only ghosts, spells, telepathy, etc. I've ever encountered have been in fantasy games. If such things were real, why doesn't someone cast even the equivalent of a mere first-level spell (not to speak of ninth-level spells)? A ring of invisibility would come in handy as well. :lol:

(Of course, I'm not asking about religious beliefs here.)
Well...
I am not skeptical about poltergeist phenomina and ghosts, because I have experienced both. Also I have had a psychic experience, cognition of something hapening at a distance from me, sight from a distance of about six feet above my head, and two possible astral projection experiences. The potential of the 90% of the brain we con't use is unjknown, /eh?

I don't believe in astrology, magic, or any of the rest of the "occult," though. I am skeptical and it is in my view pure hokum.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
You know Gary, the more I learn about you the more it becomes obvious that you are a real class act. Sincerely.

Gray Mouser
That is a very kind thing to say:)

The fact is, though, that I love children, and I remember well being just a sprout, so I can still relate. That I have seven grandchildren, a couple now officially adults, helps a lot too...Just call me "Gaffer" :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
I have been to England a couple of times and did enjoy the pub food quite a bit. I was just wondering if you'd ever been to the Eagle and Child (aka "the Bird and the Babe")? It's the pub where C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and their friends used to hang out. Over in Oxford, IIRC.

Gray Mouser
Sadly no. My one foray to Oxford from Cambridge was only for a tour of the place, and we dodn't have time to visit a single pub :(

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, I was just wondering something about the adventure ideas that you included in the Greyhawk boxed set (Werewolves of Menowood, the Mist Golem, Jungle of Lost Ships, etc.). Were any these scenarios ever played in your campaign? (They seem like a great bunch, imho, and I have been thinking of adapting a couple for my online game.)

Gray Mouser
We never did play them, and when the World of Greyhawk left my perview, I was not about to base any work on what was contained therein, so those springboards are virgin territory.

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Sadly no. My one foray to Oxford from Cambridge was only for a tour of the place, and we dodn't have time to visit a single pub :(

Cheers,
Gary

What a crime! Last time my family visited england my dad was determined to make sure I visited all of them. *wry smile* ;)

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads