TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

It seems I HAVE been mispronouncing Gary's name for 17 years.

So... what's my penance? A commensurate amount of time inside the Tomb of Horrors?

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Bah! I scoff!

Nobb of the Shadows, halfling thief extraordinaire, BEAT the Tomb of Horrors. With some minor aid from his boon companions.

* POSES MAJESTICALLY *

He did lose a finger, though.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

It seems I HAVE been mispronouncing Gary's name for 17 years.

So... what's my penance? A commensurate amount of time inside the Tomb of Horrors?
Hah!

I say that several hours of listening to my puns and shaggy dog stories would suffice, but most others would call it cruel and unusual punishment...

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Bah! I scoff!

Nobb of the Shadows, halfling thief extraordinaire, BEAT the Tomb of Horrors. With some minor aid from his boon companions.

* POSES MAJESTICALLY *

He did lose a finger, though.

So your younger brother was the DM, right?

:lol:

True story in the vein suggested. My then yougest child, son Luke, was made the DM by two of his older sisters, Heidi and Cindy. They would "suggest" the monsters encountered and then dictate the sort of treasure they found after slaying them. He was about age 7 then, and finally he came to me and asked if the whole matter wasn't somehow wrong. I sat him down and explained the correct role of DM to players and their characters. Both of my younger daughters were most distraught when Luke took charge, and their PCs fled from the encounter he staged. Sadly, that pretty well ended their interest in playing too...

Cheers.
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:

So, Gary, how goes the writing of our favorite castle?
I'd missed this post and the one from Sir Elton, but they were called to my attention :eek:

There is no progress on the castle upper works and dungeons, for I find that all of my energy is being consumed by management of routine business, creative, and personal demands--the latter including email and board posts such as those made here.

The bright spot for me is that I am able to work several hours a day now, so I hope to be able to spend a couple of hours a day in heavy creative effort soon. As I have often stated, writing modules is a tremendously demanding thing for me, with all my thought and attention focused on the work in progress.

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. :D Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too... ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:
Gary,

1st. I was looking through the D&D Cyclopaedia, and I noticed that gem dragons were a fixture for D&D. Did you like the "old" versions of Gem Dragons?
Well, as that isn't my work, I can't comment. I never used gem dragons at all, you see ;)

2nd. I've also noticed that I can get inspiration for campaigns from anywhere. I was thinking of doing a bibical movie epic-style campaign (drawing on the worlds of Ben Hur and Ruth, with a lot of influence from Clash of the Titans [I highly recommend this movie for your five year old, everyone!]). What I'm wondering is beside literary sources, did you take any inspiration from Celluoid Films and T.V.?
Absolutely, as the Isle of the Ape module should indicate :lol: The written word has always been my main source for inspiration, but I too find it in many places, including film, television, and real-life experiences.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Uh... I retract my earlier statment. :eek:

I'm free Saturdays if you want to dictate over the phone. I type pretty fast for a guy! That could cut down your keyboarding. Then you could dictate from your porch while you sip some tea and catch some rays. :) Just a thought...
Free?

I am never free, always EXPENSIVE! :uhoh:

I appreciate the offer, and I once did a lot of dictation, but never for creative work.

If you ever had the change (ill fortune) to be around and watch me at work on a module project, you'd see how I create a map, indicate encounters thereon, write some details the latter, then add to map information, revise encounter details, and so forth. It always amazes me how I can forget to put in necessary information in each encounter, even when I have done fo for the first dozen, so that I discover in checking #13 that I omitted something that should have been supplied to the GM.

It is so tedious to remember all the minor, but necessary, details. how I do enjoy winging a dungeon crawl with nothing but a map and the sort of encounter noted, creating all the other details on the spot!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. :D Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too... ;)

Well Dang!

Henry, you've caught me dead to rights, having fun instead of a-workin' :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads