TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zudrak

Explorer
Hear! Hear!

Henry said:
Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. :D Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too... ;)

Henry and Gary,

I could not have said it better myself. I agree with Henry's first statement there 100%.

Zudrak

Gray Mouser

First Post
Henry said:
Gary, if it comes down to chewing the fat with us, or working on Castle Z., I'm sure we'd understand if you needed to get work done. :D Then again, I also know how hard it is to stop talking about gaming with friends and getting back to work, too... ;)

Heh, don't make me choose!

I think it's great that Gary spends time talking with the fans but boy am I looking forward to seeing Castle Z!

Gray Mouser

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
So your younger brother was the DM, right?

:lol:

Nah, an old high school buddy ran us through it. We had absolutely no idea what we were in for at the time, and we did lose one of our long-time characters to the demilich, but I don't remember the experience being THAT difficult...

I borrowed the module afterwards and read through it, and thought, "Man, we sure dodged a bullet!" To this day the DM insists that he ran it as written, and I couldn't find any evidence to the contrary. It was just one of those days when every decision we made was the right one.

oldschooler

First Post
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10192

Are we close?

Quick question about the way you're currently running OD&D: Without concidering supplementary material, and after reading the FAQ from The Strategic Review; I tend to give every creature (PC, monster or otherwise) a number of attacks per round equal to their Hit Dice. This gives a Superhero 8 attacks, with a +1 on the last attack, etc.. Do you do the same?

Also: Do all of your OD&D games take place in/around Castle Greyhawk, or have you made many other dungeons (of like size) for your regular game?

Sir Elton

First Post
Gary,

My cousin actually came by yesterday and traded me A1-4 and D1-3 today for one of my 3e books. I was reading "Vault of the Drow" and "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" and the first thing that threw me off was the layout. Actually, it's the only thing that threw me off. :cool:

tsr9021.jpg

Still, I find it ironic that the drow (dark elves) became so attached to Lolth after that. My question is, did you ever plan a different series of Drow themed modules after this one?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ebay Auction Item

Krieg,

Here is what Ernie emailed in response to my query:

"Father it does sound like me breaking the rules and selling items before
the chains could have them on the shelf. I liked Tim and would have
thought up the gimmick of letting him have the 1st one sold! You don't
know how hard it was to get $$$ out of Tim's hands and now it has come
around for him as a fine investment (as well as all the play he received
from it). The autograph does in fact look like yours and since we were at
723 Williams St. it would have been just a walk up the stairs to get your
official statement."

As for my part, I can say that surely is my sig ;)

Consensus: This is the real thing.

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
oldschooler said:
Yuppers, only clerics do not have spell books, they pray for their spells.

Quick question about the way you're currently running OD&D: Without concidering supplementary material, and after reading the FAQ from The Strategic Review; I tend to give every creature (PC, monster or otherwise) a number of attacks per round equal to their Hit Dice. This gives a Superhero 8 attacks, with a +1 on the last attack, etc.. Do you do the same?
No, as that makes for to much dice rolling. One attack is the norm.

Also: Do all of your OD&D games take place in/around Castle Greyhawk, or have you made many other dungeons (of like size) for your regular game?
I have only the 40 or so levels of the original Caslte Greyhawk for A/D&D play. I am using seven of them in a separate format for this particular mini-campaign. In play-testing the Well of Shadows LA game adventure, my veteran players found the number of levels, seven therein, about as demanding and intense as enjoyable. Seven dungeon levels for a crawl is about twice that number in a formal module, so I know I have plenty of material to keep the group delving.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:

Still, I find it ironic that the drow (dark elves) became so attached to Lolth after that. My question is, did you ever plan a different series of Drow themed modules after this one?
Indeed, I planed to use the dwow as villainous antagonists in many an adventure into the fastness of the Underdark. such is life that sometimes plans gang aglay.

Cheerio,
Gary

Sir Elton

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Indeed, I planed to use the dwow as villainous antagonists in many an adventure into the fastness of the Underdark. such is life that sometimes plans gang aglay.

Cheerio,
Gary

Well, heres hoping that we'd see some more for C&C! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases