TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Gary,

Reading some of your old modules recently, I noticed that you very rarely set out adventures in a plot-based fashion. The 'bare bones' approach can turn some people off, as it's very different than what the adventure module eventually evolved into, but in many ways it makes a module more easily adaptable. I was wondering, was this something you were thinking of during the design process, or just a fortuitous side-effect?

weasel fierce

First Post
oAD&d question.

Did you ever consider changes to the monk to make him a little more survivable (AC in particular being a problem), or is the intention that the massive edges he gain later in play, will balance things out, for his earlier hardships ?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Gary,

Reading some of your old modules recently, I noticed that you very rarely set out adventures in a plot-based fashion. The 'bare bones' approach can turn some people off, as it's very different than what the adventure module eventually evolved into, but in many ways it makes a module more easily adaptable. I was wondering, was this something you were thinking of during the design process, or just a fortuitous side-effect?
Plots are actually the business of the able GM, not the module writer. thus, I initially wrote the adventures--most of which have outsold all others by a huge margin--leaving the backstory and motivation for PC involvement in the hands of the proper party.

More recently, I am writing longer adventure material, demi-campaign length and longer, so for such mudules I am giving commensurately more detailed background information.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
oldschooler said:
This may be a foolish question but...

Why "Col_Pladoh"?
Why not? :p

Okay, seriously, it so happens that my favorite token in the Clue game was Colonel Mustard, I am a Colonel in the Honoroable Order of Kentucky Colonels, and I am expected to answer questions as if I were a Greek philosopher holding forth in a forum. Even though I don't take gaming or myself very seriously, many folks expect me to, so the name is meant to disabuse folks in reagrds my demeanor.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
weasel fierce said:
oAD&d question.

Did you ever consider changes to the monk to make him a little more survivable (AC in particular being a problem), or is the intention that the massive edges he gain later in play, will balance things out, for his earlier hardships ?
No serious consideration was ever given to any changes in the low-level stats for the monk character. As with many classes, it just demanded some careful and cautious play to have one survive until they were more viable in regards attack and defense.

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Plots are actually the business of the able GM, not the module writer. thus, I initially wrote the adventures--most of which have outsold all others by a huge margin--leaving the backstory and motivation for PC involvement in the hands of the proper party.
This is exactly the reason that the early modules, such as Keep on the Borderlands, and the G and D series, stand up even today. They are not tied into a "story" that makes it difficult for the Dungeon Master to adapt to his campaign.

Truly, those modules should be packaged together as a textbook on "Dungeon Designing 101." Ecologies, organization of opponents, treasure placement, general "dungeon weirdness" are all perfectly presented and would be very instructive for new Dungeon Masters of any of the "versions" of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, including d20.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Esteemed Col.

I have a question which I think you may have addressed, but am not sure.

Recently, the issue of "Mind Flayers from Outer Space" arose in a corespondance. Was it your intent that these where aliens of that sort. Has it been alluded to in Expedition to the Barier Peaks (my copy is in storage) or elsewhere?

And I always face high psychic start up costs on any writting project. The amount of time I can spend in the office and not write (at least on that big project) is amazing: though not so amazing when EnWorld is factored in ;)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Sir Elton said:
Gary,

My cousin actually came by yesterday and traded me A1-4 and D1-3 today for one of my 3e books. I was reading "Vault of the Drow" and "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" and the first thing that threw me off was the layout. Actually, it's the only thing that threw me off. :cool:

tsr9021.jpg

Still, I find it ironic that the drow (dark elves) became so attached to Lolth after that. My question is, did you ever plan a different series of Drow themed modules after this one?

Good Trade Sir Elton! Though I don't find the Loth association so ironic as I find the Forgotten Realms association unfortunate

oldschooler

First Post
OD&D again!

I changed my stance on "attacks per round equal Hit Dice" to mean "only when fighting against creatures with 1 HD or less". Less dice rolling and it actually seems to have been the norm on more carefully reading the old '75 FAQ.
Anywho, I was just diving into a game of OD&D using just the 3 lil' booklets when I got confused. In Men & Magic it says your encumbrance affects movement with an example (6"/turn). That's easy to understand. Then, in The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures it says two moves constitute one turn, so a fully armored man can move 12" per turn. Huh? Which statment should be true and how far can one move in a combat round?

I've received my Lejendary Adventure Essentials set, but my head's so stuck in old-fashioned class rules that I'm having a hard time of it. Don't worry, once I've gotten your first game out of my system for a bit, I'll give your latest one a better try;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads