TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
NewJeffCT said:
First - thanks to you and everybody else involved with D&D for the last 30 years for giving me thousands of hours of entertainment since the late 70s.
Welcome, of course.

To take the paladin thing a bit further, we had a lengthy thread on here a few months back about whether paladins should be chaste/celibate, as in they do not engage in any sexual activity at all. I had started the thread because I was wondering why so many DMs seem to require paladins to be basically sexless when the various Player's Handbooks dating back to 1st Edition do not technically require it.

When you DM somebody playing a paladin, is this an unwritten part of your paladin code?

I will say that sex/love is not something that comes up every session in our games, but I was thinking about it a while back when a paladin PC of mine basically stood guard while the rest of the group was visiting our game's equivalent of the Castle Anthrax... And, I am also not saying that the paladin would be wildly promiscuous like a medieval era Wilt Chamberlin, but I could see a paladin in a committed monogamous relationship with a follower of the same deity.
Where on earth such a notion came from is quite beyond me...and beyond the pale. Paladins have no requirement of celibacy, and those of the troubador bent can be unchaste as well. How they fare with that is a matter of what deity they honor, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
Another adventure from the author/editor team responsible for The Keep on the Borderlands, and The Temple of Elemental Evil is good news indeed. If you go the C&C route, perhaps you could work it into the Yggsburg wilderness area.
Have you resumed serious development of the upper ruins and dungeon levels? You know your little olde guard kobolds are just dying to be introduced to the gaming public.
Scott
Noppers....

Although I am fairly busy with work related to publishing, I am still ducking that really demanding task.

As Rob hasn't been bugging me about it, is slow getting his humorous adventure anecdotes to me for the proposed book, I am led to believe he is not itching to get going either :uhoh:

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
BTW, I'd cast my vote for a C&C venture as it seems quite easy to convert to 1e AD&D :)
Heh...

What else can I say :lol:

The 20 players were each assigned a PC I had sketched out for the tournament.

Cheers,
Gary

NewJeffCT

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Welcome, of course.

Where on earth such a notion came from is quite beyond me...and beyond the pale. Paladins have no requirement of celibacy, and those of the troubador bent can be unchaste as well. How they fare with that is a matter of what deity they honor, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

I think it comes from a time a bit later than Charlemagne - possibly the Templar Knights of the Crusades that aspired to things like celibacy and devotion to God above all earthly pleasures, though it rarely held true in actual practice. (To quote Monty Python & The Holy Grail, "I am Sir Galahad, the Chaste")

I had mentioned it because I have been playing D&D for over 25 years now and in many different groups and that sort of ideal always seems to be the unwritten rule of paladinhood.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
NewJeffCT said:
I think it comes from a time a bit later than Charlemagne - possibly the Templar Knights of the Crusades that aspired to things like celibacy and devotion to God above all earthly pleasures, though it rarely held true in actual practice. (To quote Monty Python & The Holy Grail, "I am Sir Galahad, the Chaste")

I had mentioned it because I have been playing D&D for over 25 years now and in many different groups and that sort of ideal always seems to be the unwritten rule of paladinhood.
Well that makes no sense for anyone to do, as the Templars were holy knights and warriors, not paladins.

As for anything serious based on Arthurian fairy tales, I scoff :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Not on your life!

Those are the copyrighted property of Wizards of the Coast. If a GM wishes to have a transporter located somewhere in the dungeon levels of Castle Zagyg that takes PCs to such adventure modules, that will be up to him.

Cheers,
Gary
But surely they can slyly be alluded to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases