TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Heh...

Anything based on Arthurian legend is bogus. Besides, the majority of the knights of that make-believe court were far from chaste, let alone celebate. Consider Sir Lancelot boinking the queen, the king begetting a bastard son by rape.

Cheers,
Gary

Frank Mentzer

First Post
ScottyG said:
Would a 1/1 level fighter/magic-user have to stop and spend time training and pay the training costs two times for the character to reach level 2/2?

Well sure. Cash flow management adds flavor to any campaign. If you keep draining the characters' funds, it provides not only incentive for adventurous exploration but also a rationale for shoveling more to them.

FM

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
Gary, how were the AD&D training rules supposed to apply to multi-class characters? Would a 1/1 level fighter/magic-user have to stop and spend time training and pay the training costs two times for the character to reach level 2/2?
Scott
Scotty,

You have it. The multi-class character needs training in each class possessed when ready to rise in level.

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Frank Mentzer said:
Well sure. Cash flow management adds flavor to any campaign. If you keep draining the characters' funds, it provides not only incentive for adventurous exploration but also a rationale for shoveling more to them.

FM
Aptly put, amigo :cool:

Ciao,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Not very "slyly" after this exchange :\

Point of order: why would we want to sell WotC's adventure material when we could sell out own by having transporters send PCs to new modules we devise for that purpose? :lol:

Cheers,
Gary
Now you're talking!* Could such a transporter send PCs to Barsoom,** perhaps?

*What if we discreetly email you for the "official" place to place the transporters for DUNGEONLAND and ISLE OF THE APE? ;)

**Not named Barsoom, of course. A red planet full of hideous multi-armed green men will do.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

Anything based on Arthurian legend is bogus. Besides, the majority of the knights of that make-believe court were far from chaste, let alone celebate. Consider Sir Lancelot boinking the queen, the king begetting a bastard son by rape.
Yes, but then Lancelot was a Cavalier, not a Paladin! ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Now you're talking!* Could such a transporter send PCs to Barsoom,** perhaps?

*What if we discreetly email you for the "official" place to place the transporters for DUNGEONLAND and ISLE OF THE APE? ;)

**Not named Barsoom, of course. A red planet full of hideous multi-armed green men will do.
An other-world locale could be devised for a dungeon transporter, although they are usual for cursed scrolls only. Perhaps a strange red-soiled planet with about half the gravity of the normal world for PCs. There miight indeed be six-limded humanoids and beasts roaming about there... but then again, the GM can always create such places for his own campaign, just as my lads used to get sent off to a place a lot like the Carabas of the planet Tchai where aliens hunted humans therein who in turn were seeking valuable sequin-like deposits contained in rock geodes.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Yes, but then Lancelot was a Cavalier, not a Paladin! ;)
Heh,

You are interpreting the fabulous to suit your veiw;) Lancelot was a knight as was Galahad, the only potentially celibate knight of the make-believe round table. The only named paladins were the knights of Charlemagne such as Roland and Oiger.

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh,

You are interpreting the fabulous to suit your veiw;) Lancelot was a knight as was Galahad, the only potentially celibate knight of the make-believe round table. The only named paladins were the knights of Charlemagne such as Roland and Oiger.
Merely giving my translation of certain literary characters into AD&D terms. ;) I've always conceptualized the difference between Cavalier and Paladin as that between Lancelot and Galahad. It rather fits, don't you think?

And of course, Ogier AKA Holger Carlson was the ONLY literary Paladin that exactly fits AD&D terms. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Merely giving my translation of certain literary characters into AD&D terms. ;) I've always conceptualized the difference between Cavalier and Paladin as that between Lancelot and Galahad. It rather fits, don't you think?

And of course, Ogier AKA Holger Carlson was the ONLY literary Paladin that exactly fits AD&D terms. :)
Who can argue in regards your translating one bit of fantasy into another?...I did that a lot when i designed the game.

However, I would argue that Roland was a model of the paladin, more so than even Oiger.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads