TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron

Explorer
Gary, I never came to a conclusion either I liked or hated Unearthed Arcana. Despite there were lots of great additions to my game, I couldn't like some parts, such as the Barbarian, and, specially, the Cavalier and his ability to upgrade his stats.

Do you saw this book as an expansion to AD&D or a compilation of optional rules? Would you allow any of the new rules in an AD&D game you would run now? As it appears that many AD&D players find it quite unbalancing, would you made any revision if you could?

Mythmere1

First Post
I would hope to see it done in the C&C rules, too! I ask no question, and hope that any time spent not answering it will find a home in Castle Zagyg.

EDIT: whoa, I missed a whole second page of postings... I was talking about the collaboration module, but the topic has moved on. Sorry about that.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
Gary, I never came to a conclusion either I liked or hated Unearthed Arcana. Despite there were lots of great additions to my game, I couldn't like some parts, such as the Barbarian, and, specially, the Cavalier and his ability to upgrade his stats.

Do you saw this book as an expansion to AD&D or a compilation of optional rules? Would you allow any of the new rules in an AD&D game you would run now? As it appears that many AD&D players find it quite unbalancing, would you made any revision if you could?
If I would have been at TSR to manage the revision of the AD&D game, most of the UA material would be in that new edition without many changes. I DMed many a game with barbarian PCs, and only the mages in the group were uneasy. As for Cavaliers bettering their stats, as if any player wouldn't do that for any other character class by use of wishes and magic items enabling same. Perhaps i was a tad too generous, but at least the effort to improve the status of fighter-types was open and forthright. The method offered is like a lock on a dor, something to keep honest players honest. (How many low-lever PCS have you seen with stats that average around 16 and have one of two 18s?)

Anyway, all this is absolutely meaningless now, eh? Water under the bridge :p

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mythmere1 said:
I was talking about the collaboration module, but the topic has moved on. Sorry about that.

No problem. We have the go ahead from Troll Lord Games, and Frank and I will be working out the details next. I expect the ms. will be turned over to TLG in the late summer or late fall.

Cheerio,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
No problem. We have the go ahead from Troll Lord Games, and Frank and I will be working out the details next. I expect the ms. will be turned over to TLG in the late summer or late fall.

Cheerio,
Gary
Now, if only they could publish it in a retro-format like the Dungeon Crawl Classsics . . .

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
From The Dragon #65 "Classes to Consider"

CLERIC — Mystic: This subclass of clerics is concerned more with prediction and detection than are other sorts of clerics. All mystics are of Good alignment, although they can be chaotic, neutral, or lawful within the Good alignment. As with other sorts of clerics, mystics would have seven levels of spells, but most would be of the sort to divine or detect. However, some new spells, and some very powerful upper-level spells, are planned.

MAGIC-USER — Savant: This sub-class of magic-user specializes in knowledge, understanding, and arcane subjects. Thus, as do mystics, savants possess a fair range of detection spells. Although they know many standard sorts of spells as well, savants have many new magics in the nine levels of spells possible for them to employ. Savants, can use spells common only to clerics and druids, and at higher levels savants can read and employ scrolls of all sorts. Because of the scholarly aspects of this proposed class, elven and half-elven savants are envisioned as being able to progress several levels higher than if they were normal magic-users; i.e., 14th or even 16th for elves, 10th or 12th for half-elves. Savants can be of any alignment.

I know details can't be given, but may I ask: what were the sources of inspiration for these two proposed character classes? Where could enterprising AD&D players look for the source of these ideas to draw on material, possibly to create their own versions of the proposed sub-classes?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Col_Pladoh said:

Cheerio,
Gary

Rock and Roll! :cool:

Henry

Autoexreginated
The one thing I love most about the Gaming hobby is the direct interactions and impacts of the fans talking directly with the creators. :)

It helps when the creators are fans, too. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Akrasia said:
Rock and Roll! :cool:
"I don't care what people say,
Rock & Roll is here to stay!"

BTW, haven't been out to Stanford for some 15 years. A graduating class had me out to speak to them as a guest, and I made the mistake of eating meatloaf in the cafeteria even though they warned me :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases