TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
The one thing I love most about the Gaming hobby is the direct interactions and impacts of the fans talking directly with the creators. :)

It helps when the creators are fans, too. :D
Communication in person or electronically does energize me, amigo ;)

I for one admit to remain a fan of gaming after all these many years--most of my life, in fact, as I began playing cards when I was five.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Hey, I gave it a shot! I'll just have to create GG's (Gentlegamer) version of these sub-classes for C&C! :)
Can't fault you for trying, but that's something I do not envisage I'll ever detail.

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Communication in person or electronically does energize me, amigo ;)

No lie. I visited my new friendly not-quite-local gaming store yesterday. Talking about gaming with another person is energizing. It makes you want to sit right down and argue about rules -- er, I mean play some games!

Gary, I picked up the Extraordinary Book of Names yesterday, completing my "GFW Pentateuch". How would you describe the next books in the series, "Essential Places" and "Nation Builder"?

Thanks,
Michael

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
No lie. I visited my new friendly not-quite-local gaming store yesterday. Talking about gaming with another person is energizing. It makes you want to sit right down and argue about rules -- er, I mean play some games!
As a GM I say you take a dX of damage for discussing rules :mad:

Gary, I picked up the Extraordinary Book of Names yesterday, completing my "GFW Pentateuch". How would you describe the next books in the series, "Essential Places" and "Nation Builder"?

Thanks,
Michael
The Essential Places book is to cover many of the key locations a GM has a party of characters visit in the course of play--a list of suggested names, a floor plan, and lists of who and what's there. We are going to have the ms. turned over for approval soon.

The Nation Builder is a work that provides a blueprint for creating a fantasy state that suits the campaign and is harmonious with the world it is a part of. It will enable a whole nation that has verisimilitude when compared to actual places as might evolve in a world of fantasy sort where magic works. It too is nearing completion, the author doing a final polish.

Of course there are baout another half-dizen volumes to some after those two, but such details are up to the Trolls to announce.

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
From what you know of the game, how well would Lejendary Adventures mesh as supplimentary material for C&C, particularly in the area of skills (LJ abilities), powers (spells), and foes (monsters)? I had the Author's Edition of the LJ book when it debuted but it has passed from my ownership, alas.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
From what you know of the game, how well would Lejendary Adventures mesh as supplimentary material for C&C, particularly in the area of skills (LJ abilities), powers (spells), and foes (monsters)? I had the Author's Edition of the LJ book when it debuted but it has passed from my ownership, alas.
As the Lejendary Adventure game is quite the opposite from a class-based system, it is not easy to convert it to such a system, or material from a class-based game to it. I have put in skill bundles for the CZ Yggsburgh module, though, so as to make the NPCs more varied and interesting, less cookie-cutter. The system used will be in the work, and it is rules light as is the LA one.

Cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
As the Lejendary Adventure game is quite the opposite from a class-based system, it is not easy to convert it to such a system, or material from a class-based game to it. I have put in skill bundles for the CZ Yggsburgh module, though, so as to make the NPCs more varied and interesting, less cookie-cutter. The system used will be in the work, and it is rules light as is the LA one.
That sounds great! Any chance for a preview example of such a skill bundle in C&C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases