TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:
Roland the model Paladin, and not the Holier then Holy Galahad?? In there best known forms, both are basically the best Knights the French could imagine (country of origin not withstanding)

Gentlegamer, good pick on the mystic and savant!!
To bad they will remain mysteries to the end (as I guess will all other elements of Gygax's 2nd edition). I remember seeing the Mystic cross refernced in at least one other Dragon article...oh well.
Only one small difference...

There probably was a Roland, and there never was a Galahad.

cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
To bad they will remain mysteries to the end (as I guess will all other elements of Gygax's 2nd edition). I remember seeing the Mystic cross refernced in at least one other Dragon article...oh well.
Gary inserted references to the mystic and savant in Roger Moore's Astral Plane article in Dragon #67.

thufur

First Post
Question for the Col.

Any ideas what has happened to Carl Sargent or is that even in your purview of knowledge? Am I correct about an auto accident and he is now unavailable for comment? I guess I'm asking because its good clean fun reading boards/blogs from you, Frank and Wolfgang Baur, and I think he would be a great resource if he was available.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thufur said:
Any ideas what has happened to Carl Sargent or is that even in your purview of knowledge? Am I correct about an auto accident and he is now unavailable for comment? I guess I'm asking because its good clean fun reading boards/blogs from you, Frank and Wolfgang Baur, and I think he would be a great resource if he was available.
Sorry, but...

I have never been in communication with Carl Sargeant, so i can supply no information.

Cheers,
Gary

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Tell me where you live, do :]

Heh,
Gary

Aha! My plan is coming to fruition! Don't tell Gary, guys, but when he comes over I'm going to club him uncoscious, lock him in my basement, and force him to run games for me... FOREVER!

Well I don't know about since his stroke,but before that the best Gygax bait was, good food, good drink, good company, and a good cigar. Well it worked for me at least :)
ken

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Gary, I just found the script for the unaired final episode of the D&D cartoon! Simply brilliant! I can see just what you mean about the adventurers becoming reliant on their own skills rather than their magic items. A new series in the more "serious" tone would have been fantastic! I first learned the name "Dungeons & Dragons" from watching the cartoon as a boy, although I had no idea about the game. A few years later, I came across the Endless Quest books at the public library, one thing led to another, and here I am!

Do you think a modern D&D cartoon would be beneficial to introducing children to FRPGs?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Gentlegamer said:
Gary inserted references to the mystic and savant in Roger Moore's Astral Plane article in Dragon #67.

And not only there! There is an article on social class (in an issue with a few such articles) where, along with the standard classes, mystic is listed...did that make it into UA? Are there other refrences...it is all water under the bridge now, but I wondered for a long time who these mystics were.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
Only one small difference...

There probably was a Roland, and there never was a Galahad.

cheers,
Gary

Sidestepping the whole historical author debate...there never was a Conan or a Grey Mouser or a roguish Vancian mage either!

Surely fiction is as much or more a greater inspiration for fantastic role playing adventure as fact! Or, Good Sir, do you know something I don't ;)

SuStel

First Post
TerraDave said:

Why do these seem so mysterious? Take Gary's description of them from the Dragon article, think of how Gary turned other archetypes into character classes, and you'll get it.

Mystic: An oracle, wise woman, seer, fortune teller, astrologer. Consults the runes, the ogham, the stars, the planets. Speaks with the dead, performs seances, predicts the future (and thus gives bonuses to certain rolls to ensure that what the mystic predicted is what happens). Not a warrior like a cleric, the mystic probably has d6 hit dice and a limited selection of weapons and armor (but probably not as limited as magic-users). At high levels the mystic will be communing directly with the gods and adventuring in the dreamtime. High wisdom and intelligence requirements.

Savant: The sage devoted to the magical arts. The mad scientist of the fantasy world. The mysterious scholar. Wizard without the flashiness. Uninterested in pyrotechnics and other destructive spells, desires lore above all else, whether to benefit others, for power, or just because it's his passion. Has a laboratory and library for spell research and arcane experiments. Adventures as a means to further his research, is otherwise uninterested in the slaying of dragons and command of armies. d4 hit dice, no armor, dagger (of staff?) as weapon. Very high intelligence requirement. At high levels will probably be traveling to other planes of existence to gather obscure knowledge and components.

Once you've worked these things out, just come up with some numbers and clarify the spell lists, and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases