TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Aha! My plan is coming to fruition! Don't tell Gary, guys, but when he comes over I'm going to club him uncoscious, lock him in my basement, and force him to run games for me... FOREVER!
Ah so...

Clearly you are unaware of my truly bellicose nature and large-caliber handgun :eek:

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Well I don't know about since his stroke,but before that the best Gygax bait was, good food, good drink, good company, and a good cigar. Well it worked for me at least :)
ken
right Ken,

That is still the best way to lure me into a trap :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Gary, I just found the script for the unaired final episode of the D&D cartoon! Simply brilliant! I can see just what you mean about the adventurers becoming reliant on their own skills rather than their magic items. A new series in the more "serious" tone would have been fantastic! I first learned the name "Dungeons & Dragons" from watching the cartoon as a boy, although I had no idea about the game. A few years later, I came across the Endless Quest books at the public library, one thing led to another, and here I am!
Reaves outdid humself when he wrote Requim, the best of all the scrips done and it was never produced:( then Williams took over TSR and ended the chance for the D&D Cartoon show spinoff. Such is life.

The multiple-choice adventure books were also a lot of fun.

Do you think a modern D&D cartoon would be beneficial to introducing children to FRPGs?
Sure, but it would likely bring more youngsters to computer games than to paper and pencil RPGs. What is needed for that is more Game Masters.

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
right Ken,

That is still the best way to lure me into a trap :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

*makes a tsking noise*

Garrryyy....

Now how are we going to later put your head in a jar a la Futurama if you aren't around long enough for us to do it? ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:
Sidestepping the whole historical author debate...there never was a Conan or a Grey Mouser or a roguish Vancian mage either!
Obviously, but the autors of those fictional characters do not pretend to any historical reality, albeit their protagonists are indeed based on human archetypes.

]Surely fiction is as much or more a greater inspiration for fantastic role playing adventure as fact!
surely? How much insiration from such sources have you put into print? If the answer is little or none, perhaps you are talking out of your hat ;)

Or, Good Sir, do you know something I don't ;)
How much time to you have?

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
*makes a tsking noise*

Garrryyy....

Now how are we going to later put your head in a jar a la Futurama if you aren't around long enough for us to do it? ;)
Errr...

Life without doughnuts and coffee, cheese and wine, and a couple of cigarillos just ain't worth living :heh:

At least the wine is approved, doctor's orders that i drink two glasses or it a day :p

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Gary, I thought you might enjoy this thread at Dragonsfoot: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10384

A CK is recounting the exploits of his players in the Keep on the Borderlands and it takes a decidedly Vancian air . . .
Not bad, the Vancian-style writing there;)

Trying to create comples and multi-faceted Vancian characters using a class based system is hopless, of course.

Ah, and by chance this, my 1938th post, echoes the glorious year in which I was born :cool:

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases