TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anson Caralya said:

"Mad King Zag"? Could that possibly be a Zagyg reference? I'm very suspicious of it, followed so closely by "Gray." Was the Good Author familiar with Greyhawk way back in 1973?

By the way, I must also thank you for listing Vance as an inspiring fantasy author in the old DMG. I've been reading his stuff ever since, and have managed to collect nearly all of his titles (those Alan Wade mysteries exceed my budget). Hmmm, I suppose he owes you a reader or two.

I suspect the names used were mere coincidence.

In any event I surely do hope that my sincere regard for the writing of the Good Mr. Vance has added substantially to the audience for his books. Michael moorcock was once generous enough to credit me with doubling his readership. I am always happy to oblige in such cases!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Gary, I was wondering how common encounters with dragons were in your original campaign. I know Robilar ended up subduing that family of Green dragons and, IIRC, Mordenkainen had a run in or two with some wyrms but form what I have read I get the impression that they weren't exctly common encounters (even for high level PC's). I could be wrong as I don't know the history of the original Greyhawk campaign as well as some.

Gray Mouser
Encounters with dragons were not common, quite rare, all things considered. Mordenkainen encountered several over his years of adventuring, subdued two red ones, the very old Gorki and the young Porki (thank you for naming them Rob...)

During a wilderness excursion Robilar met one hiding in a cave, the beast being served by a human flunkie that brought in heroic victoims to feed it. It was sleeping, but as Robilar entered the cave, the flunkie shouted a warning, but luckily for Our Hero, his reactions were much quicker than the awakened dragon, so both it and its treacherous servant were slain.

On the other hand I has a small one that had a couple of spells that sent Melf packoing, glad to escape with his life;)

I posted a pair of dragins on a dungeon level, and those were loosed by the main adventurers in the dungeons--Tenser, Robilar, Terik, and some associated PCs who I can't recall.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
In any event I surely do hope that my sincere regard for the writing of the Good Mr. Vance has added substantially to the audience for his books.

Well Colonel, FWIW, the reading list in the back of the DMG really broadened my interests, and did the same for several friends of mine! (Fritz Leiber anyone? ;) )

Michael moorcock was once generous enough to credit me with doubling his readership. I am always happy to oblige in such cases!

Cheers,
Gary

Count me in as another person who picked up MM's stuff because of AD&D (Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum, as well as some of the Nomads of Time stories). I enjoyed the earlier Elric books immensely.

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Gary, thanks for the info on dragons. As a follow up, I'm wondering any of the new dragons from Monster Manual II ever made it into your campaign? I really like the Shadow Dragon (I'm thinking of springing it on my PC's at some point :) ) and the Cloud and Mist varieties were excellent as well.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Gary, thanks for the info on dragons. As a follow up, I'm wondering any of the new dragons from Monster Manual II ever made it into your campaign? I really like the Shadow Dragon (I'm thinking of springing it on my PC's at some point :) ) and the Cloud and Mist varieties were excellent as well.

Gray Mouser
Yes, the shadow dragon was encountered--nasty meeting that the details of which i but vaguely remember. The cloud and mist versions of dracos wree in an area of wilderness adventure that i had laid out ofr PCs to get transported to, but that never happened. As nearly as i can remember, there was only one randon encounter with a cloud dragon in my campaign.

Cheers,
Gary

I, too, can be counted as someone led to Jack Vance's writings by your recommendations. As a hat fan, I certainly appreciated the outlandish haberdashery displayed, in addition to plenty of other, more literary reasons for appreciation. Though, I daresay R.E. Howard (in the original form, please) and Tolkien remain my favorite classic fantasy authors.

I've always enjoyed the fact that gamers are a pretty literate bunch (as are most of my friends, gamer or not), prone to seeking out writers both on and off the beaten path.

Col_Pladoh said:
I suspect the names used were mere coincidence.

In any event I surely do hope that my sincere regard for the writing of the Good Mr. Vance has added substantially to the audience for his books. Michael moorcock was once generous enough to credit me with doubling his readership. I am always happy to oblige in such cases!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:
Still, I am mildly surprised at your of advocacy for factual grounding...as impressed as I was with that list of fiction in the 1st edition DMG.
To cut to the chase, I am an advocate or reading in general, and omnivoriously at that. I drew on all manner of non-fictional sources when creating the A/D&D game, and more than just history too. The recommended reading list was for inspiring the DM in creating exciting adventure material, not for creating RPG system material :uhoh: See the more extensive bibliography in the DJ Mythus rules for that sort of reading list.

Glad you didn't take offense at my grouching about Authurian legens. It is most unpalatable to me, so I tend to become ascerbic :]

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
I, too, can be counted as someone led to Jack Vance's writings by your recommendations. As a hat fan, I certainly appreciated the outlandish haberdashery displayed, in addition to plenty of other, more literary reasons for appreciation. Though, I daresay R.E. Howard (in the original form, please) and Tolkien remain my favorite classic fantasy authors.

I've always enjoyed the fact that gamers are a pretty literate bunch (as are most of my friends, gamer or not), prone to seeking out writers both on and off the beaten path.
While I find the raw power of Robert E. Howard's swords & sorcery tales compelling, I am not in the least captivated by the majority of the Exaulted Professor's yarns, other than The Hobbit, which book I read many times aloud to my children. I am enthralled with Mr. Vance's character development, exposition, and dialog. His "Planet of Adventure" quatrology is perhaps my favorite of his writings, but I am hard pressed to choose.

Cheers,
Gary

This post could be misinterpreted as inflammatory. It isn't intended as such - please imagine it said in calm, reasonable - and British! - tones. (For maximum effect, imagine it said over a pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar in a comfortable pub near Cambridge, at about 10:30pm on a wet Thursday.)

There's something rather disturbing about seeing Gary Gygax telling us that he's not over-enamoured of JRRT.

I mean, you're the chap who wrote the game system featuring everything from orcs and goblins, through halflings and thousand-year-old elves, past trolls and treants, round the corner where the werebears and giant eagles hang out, down the corridor as far as undead wights and giant hairy wolves called "worgs" (sic) - but you're telling us you don't actually like the Professor's work?

I mean, for an author you didn't like, you certainly helped yourself to a lot of his material! I see bits of Fritz Leiber, bits of REH, a fair bit of Vance, but absolutely heaps of JRRT in D&D.

(Okay, Tolkein actually took much of his material from older sources which, in theory, you and Dave Arneson might conceivably have consulted entirely independently. Nevertheless there are clear clues that AD&D came from Tolkein and not from what little survives of Dark Age Saxon and Viking literature - check, for example, the prevalence of half-elves and half-orcs, or the very telltale misspelling of "dwarfs" - "dwarves" is a form used throughout D&D and Tolkein, and in literature derivative of these two corpuses, but it's not in the dictionary).

If you prefer REH to JRRT, why include Orcs in the game but not Picts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases