TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

BonesMcCoy

Explorer
Gary,

This is a follow-up to a post on the Pied Piper boards: will you be joining Rob Kuntz in the creation of an OAD&D style rules-set using the OGL?

Considering HackMaster's success and the longevity and continued vibrancy of the OAD&D community, I do believe there would be a very significant market for it. Also, such a move would avoid all the legal entanglements you have with writing for OAD&D. And lastly, you wanted to do a revised version anyway when you were last in the captain's chair, so here ya go! :)

Clumsy Bob

First Post
When I parted company with TSR, I could no longer use the "Greyhawk" name, so the five later novels were done with the "Gord the Rogue" banner.

I have read Gord the Rogue, Sea of Death and Come Endless Darkness. What are the other two novels and more importantly what happens!

In the novels Tharzidum (sp?) plays a central role. Did he ever get released? What did you think of his portrayal in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, actually what did you think of the re-visit to your classic adventure.

Cheers

Bob

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Full list of Gord the Rogue books:
(TSR): Saga of Old City, Artifact of Evil
(NI): City of Hawks, Night Arrant, Sea of Death, Come Endless Darkness, Dance with Demons

Yes, Tharizdun does get released, and Gary has a lot to make up for because of what happens! :)

Gary, if you find this un-stickyfied thread again (arrggghh!!!), could you clear up one thing that bothers me from the AD&D rules?

Halflings: -1 Str, +1 Dex.

In the "min/max" ability score table, they've got a maximum Dex of 18, and a maximum Con of 19. I've always wondered about whether or not that was a typo, or if they once got a +1 Con or whatever. :)

Though I've always ruled that its a typo (halflings may have a 19 Dex), it is one of those things that makes me wonder... ;)

Cheers & Best Wishes!

D'karr

Adventurer
Stickify

A thread with over 10,000 views and over 300 questions and answers surely deserves to stay at the top of the heap.

Could one of the moderators please return this thread to the top?

Thanks.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I know that Morrus wouldn't want a thread permanently stickied to the top. The best way to keep it going is to continue to post to it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Breakdaddy said:
Heck yeah! I will buy a copy of HACKMASTER if Gary starts taking me back to the good old days like this! On a side note, now I feel damned old. :D

Well, try dealing with "Will you still need me, will you still feed me..." when you're 64.

:eek:

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day Gary!

More questions from a rather inquisitive Australian, I'm afraid... ;)

Do any of your Worldbuilder books contain information helpful towards implementing taxation, tithing and other anti-PC-money schemes in a fantasy/mediaeval campaign?

How often were you playing D&D during the early years? Would "lots" be an appropriate description? :)

Cheers!

G'Day Mate!

The EVERYDAY LIFE book deals with some bit of that--taxation. As it will vary from state to state, I did not go into it heavily. There is the royal tax, that of the clergy, that of the city or ruling noble, and that of the company/guild the person belongs to.

As I mentioned, I prefer most states to have a fairly well-to-do society as that enables much that I wish to bring into the campaign from the GM's standpoint. Oddly enough, even wealthy characters seem to resent taxation even when it doesn't really drain their finances, only slows their progress towards some economic goal.

In late 1972 through 1975 I probably averaged at least 30 hours a week wth D&D. I'd work a half day to keep the wolf from the door, then play the game or DM a group. Late at night I'd make notes and/or write. In 1976 I had to spend more time working, I became a full-time employee of TSR in June of 75, and I was writing a lot of game material then also. My gaming time likely dropped to an average of about 12 hours a week.

Cheerio,
Gary

jasper

Rotten DM
Exactly how did you play dragons?
In 1st edition they had as many hit points as the adventurers. Hey all critters had a d8.
Liked your Slayers Guide, some good ideas, some repeats from your and others articles in the dragon mag.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
the Jester said:
Hey there Gary!

My question is this: before UA came out, in many of the Dragon articles you published with 'teaser' stuff in it, you referred to a PH2. You had talked about several other subclasses that never saw print- the mystic, savant, mounteback, etc.

How far along did your developement of these go? Any chance we'll ever see any of the details, or was it all lost during the TSR/Gygax fallout?

Howdy!

First. I did the article material to intriduce the convepts dealt with and get feedback from gamers. I have always paid attention to that, even if I don't agree with the comments and suggestions ;)

I indeed planned to see to a revised AD&D game, a Second Edition, that added the new material from UA and elsewhere, compiled the various monsters books into an encyclopedia-like work, and updated the DMG. I really wanted to go over the rules and mechanics of the game to see about possibly changing things a bit to include select skills for classes, and also make the system more adaptable to other genres. Indeed, I wrote a lengthy memo to management about this play, suggesting it begin implimentation in house in c. 1986.

The new classes--mountebank, mystic, and savant were in progress of development when the troubles at TSR caused me to drop that work so as to manage and direct. Likely the nores and all are somewhere here. I am precluded by legal agreement from exploiting any A/D&D material. Won't give the stuff out for free either, so that it can be exploited by some publisher...

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Hey Gary -

Ever play OGRE?

Also, I don't recall you saying much about playing starship war games, like Full Thrust or Babylon 5 Wars. Do they not interest you much? Are there any you've played and liked?

Ho There Colonel:)

No, as to OGRE, but son Ernie was a big fan of the game. I did play a bit of the game that Lou Zocchi did, the various alien ships with various differing weapons played on the table top (floor). Can't recall its name but I do remember Lou refereeing for us.

Back in the late 1960s I ran a PBM strategic and tactical game named WAR OF EMPIRES that Tullio Proni conceived and I rewrote and expanded.

I don't have any consuming interest in SF wargames based off of movies/TV.

Have you seen the rather anachronistis LA game "Fantastical Science" genre expansion LEJENDARY ASTEROGUES? It's posted online in an early beta test format. That contains ruiles for spaceship (heh) batttles.

Ciao,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads