TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

palleomortis

First Post
So basically, The XP cost for items was just to discorage PCs from making things, and rather to find them?

(And my dad wants to know why there arn't any lepricans in the game? I can't tell if he is really joking, he seems to do that alot.)

Deogolf

First Post
palleomortis said:
So basically, The XP cost for items was just to discorage PCs from making things, and rather to find them?

(And my dad wants to know why there arn't any lepricans in the game? I can't tell if he is really joking, he seems to do that alot.)

He might want to check out the first Monster Manual - those little tricksters can be found there ;)

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Nota Bene:

Gray Mouser gains the Zagyg Seal of Approvel for his observation ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, my thanks to the Mad Archmage himself :)

My attitude was, of course, fostered by doing the very thing I suggested in the first place. Seeing as how your PC's are adventurers it seems they'd be more interested in actually adventuring than sitting around waiting for their wizards, alchemists, scribes, et. al. to whip up a Staff of Power or a Vorpal Sword. Such behavior doesn't seem very heroic to me.

Gray Mouser

gizmo33

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Gray Mouser gains the Zagyg Seal of Approvel for his observation ;)

Since the chance of facing the Mad Archmage in his dungeon seems somewhat safely in the too-distant future (HINT, HINT), I'll go ahead and disagree:

Creating magic items (ex. knitting a bag of holding), hiring henchmen, building castles, resting to heal wounds, getting a tatoo, etc. are all fine and honorable activities for adventurers IMO during their "down time". There's a natural limit to these activities in most cases, imposed by the resources required. Seems to me that in a world with plenty of opportunities for adventure and trouble, there's enough pressure to adventure that the DM doesn't really have to work too hard to prod.

palleomortis

First Post
Hey, I got a question for Ya, Gary. I have always wondered what your favorite creature was in the game. (And if it is NOT a dragon, wich is your favorite dragon?)

For all you others, thanx for the advice. Is there a way I could turn that into a class or race?(the lepricon)

gideon_thorne

First Post
palleomortis said:
Hey, I got a question for Ya, Gary. I have always wondered what your favorite creature was in the game. (And if it is NOT a dragon, wich is your favorite dragon?)

For all you others, thanx for the advice. Is there a way I could turn that into a class or race?(the lepricon)

Dig around in folklore and various mythological subjects on these critters and use the ideas from such to develop the leprechaun. Illusionary, shape changing and wish magic seem to be the staple of most tales on these beings.

The World Guide to Gnomes, Faeries, Elves and Other Little People by Thomas Keightley might be of the most use. :)

Pete

"That Thorny Dude"

gideon_thorne

First Post
palleomortis said:
Is there a section in the DMG to help with kinda stuff?

There was something in the AD&D DMG about creating new races and classes I seem to recall. Not sure about the newer edition DMG, I dont own it.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:
As for my children playing, is gin & tonic refreshing?
Only when the spirit in question is of high quality and the whole concoction served at the proper temperature.

A Professor once told a class I was in, "Life is too short to drink poor alchohol, get the good stuff, which at this time of the year is Gin."

After that, I drank less, but better. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads