TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gizmo33 said:
Aha, now I know why it was a guy with a fortress that released Zagyg's prisoners. He must not have liked raspberries or flummery as much as I do.
You will always be served raspberries when a flummery is presented to me :p

Cheers,
Gary

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Hello, Gary!

The latest Star Wars movie has been buzzing all over the boards here, so I was curious to know if you've seen it and what you thought of it. Or do you tend to watch other sorts of movies? I didn't like Star Wars as much as most, but I did like Kingdom of Heaven.

grodog

Hero
Hiya Gary---

Sorry for the slow reply, I was in NJ for my brother Phil's wedding, and just got back at the end of last week.

Col_Pladoh said:
As a matter of fact the plan is to create entirely new maps, so none of the areas in the castle and dungeons will ever have been previously explored. Of course into the new maps will go the most interesting and remarkable features of the original dungeons Rob and I did separately or jointly. There will be "side levels" that are difficult to find too.

That sounds good. Out of curiosity, why are you planning to redesign the levels? From what I understand, from comments you and Rob have made before, they're pretty much 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of graph paper, right? Are you planning to expand/contract the levels, combine existing levels into larger ones, etc.?

We plan to broadly theme levels, based on inhabitants or major feature of the area.

Sounds good.

To say more rather takes away from the object of the work--to explore and discover what is there, survive and best the challenges, and carry forth rewards.

Oh, of course---sorry, I don't want to reveal/learn spoilers by any means, since I'm hoping to find someone to run the levels for me vs. me reading them as my first experience of them!

As for the original dungeons we devised, there were a couple of levels that were pretty much shunned, but to the best of my recollection every one of the 40-some in the dungeons was explored to some extent. The prototypical Plant Master's area was entered by one of my PCs--and a couple of other players' characters too, but I don't remember any names after 30 years and a single visit.

Thanks for the details, as always :D

While I was in NJ, I found an old TSR shipping box that I thought I had lost years ago. In it, amongst other treasures, were my letters to/from you and also Rob c. 1987-88. You were still running NIPI at the time, and Rob was still immersed in Creations Unlimited. Did you recall publishing a "Realms of Adventure" newsletter after #2? I found my copies of #s 1 and 2 (which, ironically, I had literally just replaced the week before...), and was curious about any others you may have produced. I also found my refund letter for the cancelled NIPI Necropolis; did you have other NIPI rpg projects that were never published but that might see the light of day at some point?

oldschooler

First Post
palleomortis said:
Say what?
Drawmij is the name of an old player character. His spells are still found in the Player's Handbook to this day. Spell his name backwards to see who the original player of that character was!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Paleeomortis, for some really interestig D&D history, go to Grodog's site above ( http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html ) for some additional information. You may find that a lot of the names lingering around the player's handbook (Bigby, Mordenkainen, Melf, etc.) were originally player characters run by players in Gary's old 1970's D&D games.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jdvn1 said:
Hello, Gary!

The latest Star Wars movie has been buzzing all over the boards here, so I was curious to know if you've seen it and what you thought of it. Or do you tend to watch other sorts of movies? I didn't like Star Wars as much as most, but I did like Kingdom of Heaven.
While I am not a rabid fan, I have seen all of the Star Wars flicks a couple of times, and I plan to see the Revenge of the Sith in a week or two...when the crowds are less dense;)

From what I have read regarding the treatment of the Saracens as opposed to the Christians in Kingdom of Heaven, it is one I'll skip. My first published game design was the Battle of Arsouf, so I am fairly well conversant with the Crusades.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:

That sounds good. Out of curiosity, why are you planning to redesign the levels? From what I understand, from comments you and Rob have made before, they're pretty much 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of graph paper, right? Are you planning to expand/contract the levels, combine existing levels into larger ones, etc.?
The final (third revision) first level was 17" x 22", as were some of the "side levels." Also, some levels were done on 5, 6, or 8 squares to the inch graph paper, one on a hex sheet.

Otherwise, all the material will be new, with kEy areas recreated on them, just as I said;)

While I was in NJ, I found an old TSR shipping box that I thought I had lost years ago. In it, amongst other treasures, were my letters to/from you and also Rob c. 1987-88. You were still running NIPI at the time, and Rob was still immersed in Creations Unlimited. Did you recall publishing a "Realms of Adventure" newsletter after #2? I found my copies of #s 1 and 2 (which, ironically, I had literally just replaced the week before...), and was curious about any others you may have produced. I also found my refund letter for the cancelled NIPI Necropolis; did you have other NIPI rpg projects that were never published but that might see the light of day at some point?

As I recall #2 was the last of the RoAs that NIPI produced.

There were a lot of projected products that the chaps who ran NIPI--and I was not one of them other than chairing the BoD--planned to do. There was a list of books and various games and modules that never got into production. I don't have a list, only a hazy recolection of the matter.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases