TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
SuStel said:
Hey, Gary!

I was wondering how much of a new dungeon you create (for your own DMing, not necessarily for publication) before your players enter it for the first time. This isn't a level-of-detail question, mind you, it's a quantity question. Do you just map and key a single level, several levels, or the entire dungeon all at once? How long (cumulatively) do you typically spend on this pre–first-adventure process?

I do the area to be explored before having the team of characters begin adventuring in it. If i am pressed I'll not complete al the parts of an extensive work before play begins, but i did all of the separate scenarios, over 50, in the Hall of Many Panes, before the players bEgan adventuring in it.

Sometimes I spend a few minutes for session preparation, and at other times it is an extended time period of days or weeks--usually because it is something I plan to publish.

Cheers,
Gary

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
Luke listened to the radio program version of the HGttG, read the books, and watched the TV series. He still thought the movie fell out of the rear end of a horse.

Cheers,
Gary

rear end of a horse, dog-log, this is getting as bad as the King Arthur portion of the Q&A :lol:

Oh well, at least we can say that S4 and its companion WG4 where adventures (in fact between the two a veritable mini-campaing setting) of note, and agree on that!

And, between the two, a lot of things where introduced. But of course this was true of the Ds, and S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peeks...

jokamachi

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
As to Falstaff's thievery, that's why I put in Pretense Ability. He talked a good game but didn't really deliver.

Cheers,
Gary

Words were most definitely the man's meat and bread, save that of the actual meat and bread, of which he consumed quite a bit...

I will, at some point, have to play Falstaff in one of my games. I can't think of a more challenging or purely delightful role to play. He wouldn't last very long around a paladin, though... ;)

By the way, have you ever seen Orson Welle's 'Chimes at Midnight?' It pieces together every scene in which Falstaff appeared. That is, both Henrys and the Merry Wives of Winsdor. If you haven't seen it, check it out; it's quite a ride...

TTYL,

Jokamachi

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
That's all very well for you to urge, but i am still stuck on "Henley"...

:heh:
Gary

BEHOLD! Henley's Digit of Disruption! :)

Attachments

• Henley_Don_Finger.jpg
    Henley_Don_Finger.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 158

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TerraDave said:
rear end of a horse, dog-log, this is getting as bad as the King Arthur portion of the Q&A :lol:
At least we moved from the horse's rear to what the dog left behind, and from there if we watch our step we should come out clean :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jokamachi said:

By the way, have you ever seen Orson Welle's 'Chimes at Midnight?' It pieces together every scene in which Falstaff appeared. That is, both Henrys and the Merry Wives of Winsdor. If you haven't seen it, check it out; it's quite a ride...

TTYL,

Jokamachi
As a matter of fact I have not seen Orson's Chimes at Midnight. As a great fan of his directing and acting, I will certainly make a point of tracking down that work.

Thanks for the tip :cool:

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
Yeay!!!!!!!!!
One must always watch one's step when the chips are down.

BTW, I just received an email from someone regarding the Revenge of Sith, and he said it was so dull he fell asleep in the death scene. His particular characterization of the film was "smoking turd"... :eek:

:heh:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads