TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

med stud

First Post
On Kingdom of Heaven: It's the only movie where I seriously considered leaving the theater after half the movie. Orlando Bloom cant act and people in the movie had modern Western morals (which really bugs me).

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
med stud said:
On Kingdom of Heaven: It's the only movie where I seriously considered leaving the theater after half the movie. Orlando Bloom cant act and people in the movie had modern Western morals (which really bugs me).
More reasons for me to see the film only when it is released on CD.

The latter point is particularly well taken. society and culture during the middle Ages was quite different from the contemporary, certainly. I rather fell into such a blunder when I initially created the cleric class in the D&D game. Their influence is completely ignored or under-rated in most FRPGs. Sadly, I am mainly responsible for that. All I can do now it to correct my error. I hope I have made ammends in the "Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds" Volume III, Living Fantasy.

Cheers,
Gary

Barak

First Post
I dunno.. Unlike books, I've always viewed movies as having one purpose. To entertain me. I never cared about a movie being accuracte, only entertaining. That being said, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven, so I can't really comment on it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
I dunno.. Unlike books, I've always viewed movies as having one purpose. To entertain me. I never cared about a movie being accuracte, only entertaining. That being said, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven, so I can't really comment on it.
It is clear that you are non-critical in your motion picture viewing :lol:

As for me, if something pretends to be historical, then I expect some close approximation of historical fact, or approximation thereof, just as I expect a comedy to center on comedic elements, a tragegy on on tragic elements.

Cheers,
Gary

Barak

First Post
Oh yes, and I'll admit fully to that, Gary. In fact, I used to be ashamed by my non-descrimination as far as movies were concerned. Then I realized "hey, I'm having fun, who cares?".

I mean, Spider-Man (obviously) was less then accurate, historically. Yet, it's a fun movie.

I do understand your point about movies that -claim- to be historically accurate. I just pay no attention to such claims, be they deserved or not.

Books.. Now that's another matter. I know, I'm weird.

med stud

First Post
I basically want the same thing out of a movie that I get out of a game; the suspension of disbelief. If a game or movie delivers too many logical fallacies it just feels stupid and arbitrary to me.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barak said:
Oh yes, and I'll admit fully to that, Gary. In fact, I used to be ashamed by my non-descrimination as far as movies were concerned. Then I realized "hey, I'm having fun, who cares?".
Quite so. who can dispute your enjoyment? not I :uhoh:

I mean, Spider-Man (obviously) was less then accurate, historically. Yet, it's a fun movie.
:heh:
Spider man being "historical" is a case in point of non-criticalness. I assume that the film didn't follow the make-believe of the comic books storyline. As I do not follow the latter, I confess to viewing the film uncritically in that regard. However, I found the total lack of "chemistry" between Peter Parker/Spiderman and Maryjane Watson quite unpalatable, but I enjoyed the movie action otherwise.

Books.. Now that's another matter. I know, I'm weird.
:eek: Welcome, Dear Fellow, to the club :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

ZuulMoG

First Post
Aha, finally!!

Tsk, tsk, Mr. Gygax,
Do you have any idea how much trouble your game got me into as a kid? My parents are devout Witnesses, and it was an uphill battle to get to play. Besides the whole '25 years of entertainment, lifetimes in alternate realities, and the accolades of mythic populations', I'd like to thank you for my mind. Playing every version of D&D from Basic to AD&D has not only kept my math skills up to date (Alas for ThAC0, it kept the riff-raff out of our game!!), it also kept me reading.

When kids can be using drugs, having sex with each other, or actually killing each other with real weapons, the idea that parents can object to a group of their children sitting peacefully at a table reading and doing math is...well, it's infuriating, that's what it is. I'd like to thank you for providing an educational form of entertainment to millions of kids (and adults, we never stop learning!).

That said, I can't really think of a question... Sorry to spam the thread.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
med stud said:
I basically want the same thing out of a movie that I get out of a game; the suspension of disbelief. If a game or movie delivers too many logical fallacies it just feels stupid and arbitrary to me.
Just so.

The problem for motion picture producers and directors is determining what will facilitate suspension of disbelief, enhance belief, and cause the audience to be highly entertained, wish to see the film--more than once :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Well in that regard. Kingdom of Heaven was well worth seeing more than once. Certainly, when finances permit, it will become part of my video collection.

As will several other films. Maybe even Lord of the Rings, if I can get past the rather glaring discontinuities that persist between the directors interpretation and my imagination. Even I have my little quirks about films, apparently. :cool: Even though I rarely ever walk into a movie theater with any sort of preconcieved notion or expectation.

I suspect I will even end up sitting through Into the West only because my parents had somewhat to do with the uniforms in the series. This despite the trial watching such a film with a dedicated military historian can be. ;)

Col_Pladoh said:
Just so.

The problem for motion picture producers and directors is determining what will facilitate suspension of disbelief, enhance belief, and cause the audience to be highly entertained, wish to see the film--more than once :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads