TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
Do not be misled! that map is spurious and has nothing to do with any creative addition to the Oerth that I planned.

the claim was bandied about but no one making it ever asked for verification from me.

I have frequently denied its authenticity on public boards.

Gary

Good to know. It didn't fit my version of the world anyhow.

Mighty Veil

First Post
I find myself watching the D&D movie on TV. Never watched it before. Half-way through I can honestly say this. I wish I had woke up earlier to catch "Man Who Would Be King" instead. Awful movie. So now I find myself Googling up the D&D cartoon. Looking at a fan site's stats for the show's characters. This has me wondering something after the previous talks in the previous pages on alignments.

Gary,
So what was everyone's alignments?

I'm guessing the kids were NG. DM was LG. And Venger was CE?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mighty Veil said:
I find myself watching the D&D movie on TV. Never watched it before. Half-way through I can honestly say this. I wish I had woke up earlier to catch "Man Who Would Be King" instead. Awful movie. So now I find myself Googling up the D&D cartoon. Looking at a fan site's stats for the show's characters. This has me wondering something after the previous talks in the previous pages on alignments.

Gary,
So what was everyone's alignments?

I'm guessing the kids were NG. DM was LG. And Venger was CE?
As an aside, the second D&D movie is a good deal better than the first ;)

Such a consideration never arose, it not being important in the minds of the producres and writers. As I never thought of them as actual D&D characters, their alignment never occurred to me either.

I would say the Dungeon Master was more NG, and Venger more NE than not.

Cheers,
Gary

Mighty Veil

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
the second D&D movie is a good deal better than the first

Hasbro should take a page from Marvel. Just offer its trademarks to whoever might want to make a film from it. They have an obivious one that I bet could get made and with a known actor.

Col_Pladoh said:
Such a consideration never arose. As I never thought of them as actual D&D characters, their alignment never occurred to me either.

Normally growing up it was for me wondering their classes and level. Just suddenly I wondered. Must be from all that alignment talk. I'm just amazed how far off in direction and meaning alignments seemed to of went since its first introduction. That's what it appears like, to me. Any regrets in that rule (I remember you mentioning you rarely use it now)? I'm getting the feeling to truly understand the difference between Neutral vs. Law and Chaos, a person needs to read the books it came from.

Col_Pladoh said:
I would say the Dungeon Master was more NG, and Venger more NE than not.

NG I can see for him (after I posted I thought it could be, I just had my assumption on why he may be lawful or have to be lawful). But how in Venger Neutral? I realize this seems trival, talking about cartoon characters. I'm not asking so much on that. More to see why I thought chaotic and why he wouldn't be. (I figured chaotic since he's into the black arts, etc. Controls others through his might and fear, but unless he needs his servants. Just leaves them alone to rule whatever they're ruling over.)

Probably just easier to game with alignments. But it would feel strange to do so for some reason.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mighty Veil,

I am not privy to the l;icensing arrangements that Hasbro made for the new D&D film.

As for alignment, it is a handy,if very compartmentalized, means for the DM to use in handling motivation and behavior.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Colonel, I have a question for you regarding the effects of possession in 1e AD&D, viz., I haven't been able to find anything in the core books specifying exactly what happens when someone is possessed and who or what can do the possessing.

I didn't see any mention of the ability in the MM entry for "Devil" or for "Demon." In the Greyhawk Glossography, however, the adventure outline "The Copper Raider" mentions that Clonoc the copper dragon is possessed by a demon, but doesn't specify what kind. (Heh, I hope to spring this adventure, or at least a variation of it, on my players in the future, btw :) )

The DMG says that a "Protection from Possession" scroll works against spells such as "magic jar", mental/psychic draining attacks or "demon, devil, night hag, or similar creature possession (obsession). I assume this refers to the Night Hag ability to "ride" a person mentioned in the MM and that this means both devils and demons can possess someone.

So, my questions are these:

1) What happens when someone is possessed? Should I just treat the effect as a "Magic Jar" spell?

2) Can all demons and devil possess someone or only certain types (presumably the more powerful ones)?

3) Do you envision Daemons and Demodands having this ability, or is it limited to the creatures already mentioned?

4) The DMG mentions that a "Protection from Possession" scroll works even for dead bodies. I'm assuming that a possessed dead body would be animated and function under the influence of said possessing creature (and be able to be turned by a Cleric as a "special" on the turning table).

5) Just out of curiosity, would you think it owuld be possible to possess an intelligent sword since it has its own poersonality?

Sheesh, that's a much longer question than I originally thought! Hope you don't mind and thanks in advance for the help!

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
So, my questions are these:

1) What happens when someone is possessed? Should I just treat the effect as a "Magic Jar" spell?
Yes, that is basically what happens to the possessed individual.

2) Can all demons and devil possess someone or only certain types (presumably the more powerful ones)?
It is up to the DM, but I'd say that those of 5th rank or above can attempt possession as if casting a magic jar spell.

3) Do you envision Daemons and Demodands having this ability, or is it limited to the creatures already mentioned?
No and yes.

4) The DMG mentions that a "Protection from Possession" scroll works even for dead bodies. I'm assuming that a possessed dead body would be animated and function under the influence of said possessing creature (and be able to be turned by a Cleric as a "special" on the turning table).
your assumption regarding dead bodies, and animals for that matter, is correct. they can be turned by clerics as "special." I'd vary chances depending on the strength of the possessing entity, but all will be difficult to turn.

5) Just out of curiosity, would you think it owuld be possible to possess an intelligent sword since it has its own poersonality?
No, the sword is possessed by a spirit. that spirit would have to be dislodged/destroyed, and then the possessing entity would be stuck in the weapon...not a desirable thing for any demon or devil.

Sheesh, that's a much longer question than I originally thought! Hope you don't mind and thanks in advance for the help!

Gray Mouser
All of the above FWIW, 'Mouser :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
No, the sword is possessed by a spirit. that spirit would have to be dislodged/destroyed, and then the possessing entity would be stuck in the weapon...not a desirable thing for any demon or devil.

Ah, that's pretty interesting. I guess I never thought of an intelligent sword in those terms before, though it makes a lot of sense. As a follow up, do you envision intelligent swords' spirits being pre-existing creatures which were bound to the sword or as being somehow "constructed" or created when the sword is originally enchanted?

All of the above FWIW, 'Mouser :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, actually, Colonel, your answers were quite helpful as I've been looking for an official answer for some time now (and don't give me any guff about IP and not owning the game any more, either! ;) ).

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Ah, that's pretty interesting. I guess I never thought of an intelligent sword in those terms before, though it makes a lot of sense. As a follow up, do you envision intelligent swords' spirits being pre-existing creatures which were bound to the sword or as being somehow "constructed" or created when the sword is originally enchanted?
I believe they are from existing sources, mostly elemental or elementary. A truly evil sword might be possessed of the spirit of a demon or devil...surely Stormbringer was :eek:

On the opposite side, a truly good one might have some upper planar spirit entity imbued within it.

Heh, actually, Colonel, your answers were quite helpful as I've been looking for an official answer for some time now (and don't give me any guff about IP and not owning the game any more, either! ;) ).

Gray Mouser
No guff but a matter of fact. The game belongs to Hasbro, and what I say has no official standing whatsoever.

Cheers,
Gary

oldschooler

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
No guff but a matter of fact. The game belongs to Hasbro, and what I say has no official standing whatsoever.

Cheers,
Gary
Your first point is well taken, Hasbro does indeed own the D&D brand. As far as your say not being official; Well, you're just plain d*mn wrong. To thousands (if not millions) of gamers around the world, it doesn't matter who owns the name, you'll always own The Game. You created it and too many people count your opinions on it as LAW.
Your opinions on things long out of print are very important to a lot of people, so don't be afraid to anwser questions you don't think matter. If they didn't matter, they wouldn't have been asked you.
When it comes to OOP material, Habro/WotC simply doesn't care (i.e. we can't get such anwsers from them).
Oohhh, I feel much better now. Hope I didn't sound too harsh, Colonel; My venting valve just gave way:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads