TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeoman99

First Post
Hi Gary,

I have read the Sharpe books, and was suitably impressed with Cornwell's latest offering "The Last Kingdom" set in era of Alfred's defense of Wessex...gripping stuff. You may have commented previously on Pratchett - I find Discworld great for comic relief - does it make your reading list? On the other end of the scale I enjoyed the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trillogy from Williams for its storytelling.

Excuse the rambling, all too easy with adecent malt whisky.

Good Health
John

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I just started Saga of the Old City, and of course, Artifact of Evil is next.

I have the following other Gord the Rogue books:

Night Arrant
City of Hawks
Sea of Death
Come Endless Darkness
Dance of Demons

What is the definitive order for reading the series?

Redwald

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
...Saga of Old City...
Artifact of Evil...
Night Arrant
City of Hawks
Sea of Death
Come Endless Darkness
Dance of Demons

I believe you've got it, but I'm not the world's most reliable source as I thought I was right earlier today, and Col. Pladoh had to correct me. :eek:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yeoman99 said:
Hi Gary,

I have read the Sharpe books, and was suitably impressed with Cornwell's latest offering "The Last Kingdom" set in era of Alfred's defense of Wessex...gripping stuff. You may have commented previously on Pratchett - I find Discworld great for comic relief - does it make your reading list? On the other end of the scale I enjoyed the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trillogy from Williams for its storytelling.

Excuse the rambling, all too easy with adecent malt whisky.

Good Health
John
As an amateur historian of Anglo-Saxon england, one who favors Wessex, the Cornwell novel sounds interesting, and I will probably pick it up.

Pratchett's "Discworld" series is amusing, and I love Rincewind and Luggage :D

For characterization and dialog I favor Vance.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I just started Saga of the Old City, and of course, Artifact of Evil is next.

I have the following other Gord the Rogue books:

Night Arrant
City of Hawks
Sea of Death
Come Endless Darkness
Dance of Demons

Heh!

Just as you list them, but City of Hawks can be read before Night Arrant without any problem.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Deogolf!

Actually, I could relate the tale of your heroic action that saved the whole party in the HoMP, it being quite unusual for your Avatar, but then the saituation was unique, eh?

Cheers,
Gary

Deogolf

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
What kind of game where you playing?

At1d6 per 10 feet fallen, what 9d10 hit point fighter could survive a fall from orbit? And wasn't falling damage originally exponential? Ie, 1d6 for 10 feet, 2d6 for then next ten for a total of 3d6 for 20 feet?

200,000 arrows = 1,000 hits on average, assuming you'd need a 20 to hit. What AD&D character can take 1,000 d6 damage?

And an armorless character in a medieval period is quite stupid, as he will be destroyed by the guy in armor, so I think it models it quiite well. Try picking up a stick and hitting your buddy dressed in full football pads and helmet, while he does the same to you while you wear jeans and a t-shirt. Sure, you might get lucky and bop him in the knee, but he can hurt you by hitting you ANYWHERE. And plate mail even had substabtial coverage of joints, weaker coverage, maybe, but better than nothing. You can always play an unarmored fighter, though, as long as he's an archer.

I'm no expert on medieval warfare by any means, but c'mon, what kid hasn't had backyard fights with wiffle ball bats and football helmets? Garbage can lids make excellent shields, btw. :)

Yeah, my parent's would get ticked off by our using the garbage can lids for shields!! ;) We
had our game of "Orc Wars!" where would get 6 to 8 guys and play rival orc clans and duke it out! We evolved to making shields out of plywood (a bit more durable and less noisy :heh: ) and would use hockey sticks with a maximum length of 30". If you wanted to use something longer, it would have to be used two-handed (no shield). One of our guys was a little more resourceful and made his own morning-star/flail (can't remember which - its been almost 15-20 years). Ah, the good ole days! Nowadays, they would have us commited!! :uhoh: )

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As far as falling damage goes I revised the damage to 1d6 per 10' per 10', so that it went 1, 3, 6, 10, 15 d6 at 50' distance. All the munchkins howled at the progression...as if the Law of Gravity doesn't dictatE accelleration of a falling body :uhoh:

Of course, if one really wants to get into the Law of Gravity then it is the time (not the distance) of one's fall that should dictate the damage taken, since velocity is a function of time (v = 32t). I think a simple method could be 1 point of damage per foot for the first 20 feet, two points of damage per foot for the next 50 feet, and 3 points per foot for the next 80 feet. (It only takes about 3 seconds to fall 150 feet.) A character falling 15 feet would take 15 points of damage; one falling 50 feet would take 20 + 60 (30 * 2) = 80 points of damage; one falling 100 feet would take 20 + 100 (50 * 2) + 90 (30 * 3) = 210 points of damage. One might allow a saving throw for 1/2 damage. ;) Anything over 150 feet would result in automatic death (barring really extraordinary circumstances).

Col_Pladoh said:
Gg, not GG, eh? Well, if so my apologies are in order, although I did enjoy making the ascerbic retort :mad:

Err, yeah, sorry about that. I could have been clearer. :eek:

G-little-g constantly harps about how I (and others) are not actually playing D&D with my (and our) friends in every thread in which it arises. Given that I'd come to ask for a little more clarification on your own views, it was something I really didn't need to be reminded of.

I thought you were rallying to his defense - which on the surface made sense, given the disgust you'd previously mentioned.

Sorry again for the confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases