TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:

BTW, I have a question for you regarding the World of Greyhawk setting. I was just perusing the encounter tables in the glossography recently and noticed that a fait amount of them include results for "Men, Cavemen" (areas such as Blackmoor, Sterich, Valley of the Mage, the Barrier Peacks, Crystalmist Mountains and Jotens, the Clatspur Range and Yatil Mountains, the Hellfurnaces) and even a "Use Plestocine Conditions Encounter Table" (Sulhaut Mountains).

Did you envisions these as the WoGH's "Lost World" type areas (particularly the Sulhauts)? I noticed they were fairly spread out on the map so it could also have been simply considering the Cavemen as a less developed subset of humans. Also, did any of the OC's in your campaign ever encounter their Neanderthal brethren or any Plestocine creatures in the WoGH proper (not, for instance, in Isle of the Ape)?

Gray Mouser
Yes, I had the Sulhaut Mountains as the "Lost world" setting in my compaign, although we never did much of anything there as events kept the PCs bust elsewhere. (I wanted to do something fun with the 'Rift as well, but never got there. when i was using the pre-WoG map for my world setting the West Coast of North america was the Plestocine region inhabited by savage cavemen and their contemporary fauna.

Otherwise, I did consider that subhuman cavemen were a not uncommon peril to encounter in remote wildernedd areas;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gizmo33 said:
It doesn't matter how far you've fallen, it matters how fast you're going when you hit the ground. ...
No, what really matters is that a fall of 10' can be lethat, and one of 30' onto an unyielding surface is deadly about 999 times out of 1,000. It is ludicris to argue physics in a game based on pure fantasy, is it not?

Thus, I assert with assurance that a falling damage formula of 1d6 cumulative per 10' fallen fits the game system most properly, with a cutoff at 100' even though terminal velocity hasn't been reached. So a fall of 100' earns 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 d6 damage; a mere 55d6 that might all come up as 1s, and a generous DM might allow a saving throw as well to halve damage;)

Cheers, Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
Admittedly I've only read half of REH's tales so far, but didn't Conan always use the best armor available to him?
Hmmm...

As I recall Conan was often fighting in little more than a loin cloth and didn't worry much about what armor was around...or favor any particular weapon either.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
orsal said:

Gary, if you were writing the AD&D core rules all over again, is there anything you'd change?
sure!

But it doesn't matter now, does it? :lol:

For how I'd write an FRPG these days, just take a look at the Lejendary Adventure game :cool:

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Yeoman99 said:
Heh, even the qualified histrorians would have to support Wessex - but then that's my birthplace....
If you are near Weston Supermere, drop me an email, and I'll put you in touch with a comrade of mine living there who is looking for other roleplayers:)

ggygax@genevaonline.com

As for the rest, playing knights is good clean fun, even at the expense of a chipped tooth. think of some of the alternative mischief that the lad could be up to these days :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
The Ultimist class was published as a satire piece in Polyhedron about twenty years ago.
That might be so, I don't know, but if so it was a reprint from The Strategic Preview, a freebie house zine we used to print up on the company copy machine and distribute to mail order and shop customers. I think only three or four were ever published. Dave sutherland did most if not all of the illustrations for the zine.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
WyzardWhately said:
Yeah, I know that. I was wondering if it's scanned in anywhere on the web, or if someone has it as a file.

I don't have so much seniority that I can dig into a box in the closet and find such things, you see.
Paul Stromberg is the one fellow I can think of that might have such information at his fingertips.

Sadly, my copies are long lost...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
I can show you video. ;) Reenactor days in California at a lil event we put on at San Pasqual. Dragoon's vs Mexican Lancers.
Pish!

Reinacting isn't the same thing as was being discussed now, is it?

:p
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Pish!

Reinacting isn't the same thing as was being discussed now, is it?

:p
Gary

Why not? I came out with the same number of bruises, stab wounds, powder burns, bludgeons and horse tramplings methinks. ;)

Salutations again!

In the spirit of procrastination, I've got a two questions, if you've the time, one from the past and one for the present:

Regarding the TSR D&D ampersand (the fire-breathing dragon), do you know who created it? I just got a tattoo of it and figure that I should know the provenance of it.

I just finished reading the Lejendary Adventure Essentials boxed set, and am reading the Gazetteer. Judging from the LA Essentials set, it seems to be relatively difficult for most of the Alfar to qualify for an order. Now, since orders represent in part archetypes, is it safe to say that the Alfar races function as archetypes, in lieu of orders? Kind-of like the OD&D dwarf, elf, and halfling races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases