TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
Why not? I came out with the same number of bruises, stab wounds, powder burns, bludgeons and horse tramplings methinks. ;)
Maybe adult supervision?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
Salutations again!

In the spirit of procrastination, I've got a two questions, if you've the time, one from the past and one for the present:

Regarding the TSR D&D ampersand (the fire-breathing dragon), do you know who created it? I just got a tattoo of it and figure that I should know the provenance of it.
Good Day:)

The design was done by a professional advertising firm at the behest of Kevin Blume as nearly as I can recall.

I just finished reading the Lejendary Adventure Essentials boxed set, and am reading the Gazetteer. Judging from the LA Essentials set, it seems to be relatively difficult for most of the Alfar to qualify for an order. Now, since orders represent in part archetypes, is it safe to say that the Alfar races function as archetypes, in lieu of orders? Kind-of like the OD&D dwarf, elf, and halfling races?
Possibly, but i consider the Orders more of a human archetype, vocations and professions recognized as such by the dominant human societies of Learth. So the La game's archetypes are that, but practically more akin to professional and vocational societies, guilds, brotherhoods, anf fraternal organizations. thus one gets the archetype and a practical game application of having same ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
*chuckles* Any answer to that is going to be highly subjective and open to definition. :lol:
Come, come!

It is axiomatic that liberals must always engage only in supervised play activities--and thus the current vogue in some quarters of "play dates" for their progeny...

Wiggle out of that :lol:

Heh,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Well, you need to chime in with what defines an 'adult'. And certainly 'supervision' needs a look at in this context. Our group had members of many ages, but since even the SCA thought we were as crazy as a june bug the precise definition of 'adult' might need some intpretation.

And since my chronological growing years were relatively unsupervised, and strangely enough mostly free of me getting in trouble, I'd say I trancend such definitions. :D

Im an expert wiggler. ;)

Col_Pladoh said:
Come, come!

It is axiomatic that liberals must always engage only in supervised play activities--and thus the current vogue in some quarters of "play dates" for their progeny...

Wiggle out of that :lol:

Heh,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
That might be so, I don't know, but if so it was a reprint from The Strategic Preview, a freebie house zine we used to print up on the company copy machine and distribute to mail order and shop customers. I think only three or four were ever published. Dave sutherland did most if not all of the illustrations for the zine.

Cheers,
Gary
I've never seen the article myself, but I remember Skip Williams giving this info on the origin of the class when eager players asked for "official rules clarifications" on it in the Sage Advice column. :)

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:

Im an expert wiggler. ;)
That depends on what the definition of "expert" is...

Actually, I agree, and give you a tip of the hat, especially for the comments regarding "adult," for all gamers at least know that's a highly subjective term in regards to attitudes and behavior.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I've never seen the article myself, but I remeber Skip Williams giving this info on the origin of the class when eager players asked for "official rules clarifications" on it in the Sage Advice column. :)
Skip's information notwithstanding, there was no Polyhedron when I created the spook character class, and I don't think he was out of high school at the time, nor even thinking about working for TSR :eek:

Heh,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases