TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
caltrops, yay! :)
Spiked armor...bah!

Actually, the Romans did actually use spiked armor when fighting the Carthiginians at Zama. They armed light footmen with axes, clad them in spiked armor, so that the elephants they were to hamstring would not use theit trunks to grab them. This battle is as well the only one I know of in which the Romans used chariots as a war weapon, having lancers in them to attack the enemy elephants.

Cheers,
Gary

So, what I'm seeing there, is that spikey armor is a historical evolution to combat larger-than-average foes that have a tendency to pick up human-sized foes? :)

I never knew that - but it's an interesting bit of ammo to have the next time someone complains about "dungeonpunk." :D

Thanks for that - and for your answer to my earlier question, Gary!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
So, what I'm seeing there, is that spikey armor is a historical evolution to combat larger-than-average foes that have a tendency to pick up human-sized foes? :)

I never knew that - but it's an interesting bit of ammo to have the next time someone complains about "dungeonpunk." :D

Thanks for that - and for your answer to my earlier question, Gary!
Not quite!

Many a force fought elephants and spiked armor was not employed. The gates of Indian fortresses were spiked to prevent elephants from pushing them down, but no spiked armor.

Maybe picked, trained soldiers in a disciplined Roman army could get away with being clad in spiked armor, but elsewhere it is a hazard to wearer and friend alike, especially in any close-quarters environment such as a dungeon. Worse still would be in a wooden building or a forest.

In my considered opinion, spiked armor is the worst sort of dungeonpunk, worse that multi-buckled designer leather costuming passing for armor :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

oldschooler

First Post
Zudrak said:
From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

That should have been repeated verbatim in 3.Xe. Too many players have become rules lawyers and want to quote books at the table rather than roleplay -- when it's a roleplaying game to begin with. If someone wants to quote books all day, they should join a Shakespearean fan club. There has been a shift of power at the gaming table that could have been avoided by keeping those two above sentences in the PHB. DM's have to do a lot and becoming targets for player abuse (both in the game and of the game) should not be one of the challenges.
AMEN!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
A heads up:

Harold Johnson is having a memorial gathering at 6 PM (it has just begun) for Dave Sutherland at the Cactus Club here in Lake Geneva--the same place where one was held in memory of Dave Dimery who was in charge of TSR's advertising during the heyday of the company.

Anyway, do whatever you think appropriate in Dave Sutherland's memory. I am heading there in a couple of minutes :(

Salut!
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, I remember you saying that while you greatly enjoyed playing Metamorphosis Alpha, you felt that Gamma World was somehow lacking. I played 1st edition Gamma World quite a bit back in the early 1980s, but I never played Metamorphosis Alpha (though I own it and have perused it). After comparing the two games, it seems that they are virtually the same except that MA is set in a starship and GW is set on planet Earth.

What is it about Gamma World that you find lacking as compared to Metamorphosis Alpha?

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
A heads up:

Harold Johnson is having a memorial gathering at 6 PM (it has just begun) for Dave Sutherland at the Cactus Club here in Lake Geneva--the same place where one was held in memory of Dave Dimery who was in charge of TSR's advertising during the heyday of the company.

Anyway, do whatever you think appropriate in Dave Sutherland's memory. I am heading there in a couple of minutes :(

Salut!
Gary
Dave Sutherland has gone home . . .

Aelryinth

Explorer
Mr Gygax, a little history help if you will...

The rakshasa in the original Monster Manual can be killed instantly by a shot from a blessed crossbow bolt. Assuming this is based on historical Indian mythology, where did you find this weakness? It seems the original Ramayana story line has Rama using an arrow or spear to kill Ravenna, and I know someone who is interested in hearing where you got this particular weakness with crossbows from.

Thank you!

==+Aelryinth

MPA

First Post
Aelryinth said:
Mr Gygax, a little history help if you will...

The rakshasa in the original Monster Manual can be killed instantly by a shot from a blessed crossbow bolt. Assuming this is based on historical Indian mythology, where did you find this weakness? It seems the original Ramayana story line has Rama using an arrow or spear to kill Ravenna, and I know someone who is interested in hearing where you got this particular weakness with crossbows from.

Thank you!

==+Aelryinth
He answered something along that line sometime ago. The rakshasa was created from a monster in a TV show, and his weakness came from his head alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases