TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gideon_thorne

First Post
Quite right. Campaigns and battlefield conditions, one would 'pick up' bits and pieces. Momentos of fallen comrads can fit in here as well. Aragon with Boromir's bracers is a good example.

Wolv0rine said:
I can say that the mish-mash armor look is something that I do tend to like. It's not like everyone can afford to have a full set of matching gucci armor custom-made for them (and matching custom pieces to replace any broken or lost pieces). Mis-matched armor is what you're really likely to end up with after any given amount of time in the field. It's one of the few believable things I do see in such artwork. I usually try to include at least a small piece of something that doesn't match a character's outfit when I do illustration work, just to add that small imperfection to the overall whole.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
I worked with Ernie on Gaxmoor. In the playtest/in the original background info, Gaxmoor was set on the western edge of Veluna, an area that could be reached with relative ease by the pre-migration Oeridians.

Heh, Scott...

Surely that placement was quite unofficial, for certainly the product is generic D20 and not one approved by WotC for use on the World of Greyhawk :lol:

That said, I think it fits best in the Great Kingdom's eastern verge, there being a good deal of "ancient history" surrounding that place.

Whatever suits the DM concerned is best, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
Quite right. Campaigns and battlefield conditions, one would 'pick up' bits and pieces. Momentos of fallen comrads can fit in here as well. Aragon with Boromir's bracers is a good example.
Better still...

Actual warriors would strip the captured and dead foemen of armor so as to improve their own. The Vikings were well-armored thus. Hovever, it is logical that the "upgrading" would be as cmplete as possible, discarding lesser protection for greater. So mixed sorts of armor would be rather rare I should think, save for hill bandits and their ilk.

FWIW,
Gary

jester47

First Post
Hi Gary,

How is the health? Will you be spry enough to grace us with your presence at the big Con (Gen Con) this year? I understand that you are supposed to keep travel limited, but I had to ask...

Best wishes and good health,

Aaron.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jester47 said:
Hi Gary,

How is the health? Will you be spry enough to grace us with your presence at the big Con (Gen Con) this year? I understand that you are supposed to keep travel limited, but I had to ask...

Best wishes and good health,

Aaron.
Hi Aaron,

Thanks, and I am feeling quite well, just lacking my former level of energy. the fact is that I am enjoying relaxing and reading a lot, but I do hope to be able to do more creatively in the future. that remains to be seen, as currently I can't manage more than a couple of hours of intense work before having to kick back and rest.

I will not be at GenCon this year...maybe in 2006.

I will be at the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention here at the end of this month, July 29th - 31st, and at the Canadian National Gaming Expo in Toronto the 26th - 29th August.

That's it for this year.

Cheerio,
Gary

jester47

First Post
Colonel,

Good to hear. I only allow myself one abroad convention a year, so maybe we will see you in 2006. Till then, kick back, relax and when you can write more wonderful gaming material!
I have been looking to meet this Gygax fellow in person for some 20 years now. He has the strangest last name and has written a very cool game. But apparently his vocabulary and good demeanor are legendary. ;)

Aaron.

gideon_thorne

First Post
My dad's noted more than a few.

His comments. "If this is an indication of the dudes sense of humor, he sounds like a cool dude to talk too."

Col_Pladoh said:
Pure corn, I know, but puns always a-maze me :lol:

BTW, have you seen the Hall of Many Panes? I manage a few in there....

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases