TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zudrak

Explorer
gideon_thorne said:
But its so fun! :) What else are we doing here if we can't have fun with our fellows? :)

As some alternatives could be quibbling over rules, asking questions that were answered two to fifteen years ago, or going into discussions a la a Star Trek convention ("on p. 33 of the DMG you said... but on p. 11 of EX1 Dungeonland you write..."), I will gladly accept punning with Gary. Actually, as a fan of paronomasia, I would encourage it. :D (Now comes the part where I get an e-slap from RJK for my pun shenanigans over on his site.)

ScottyG said:
That was my thinking when I chose Sunndi. Although I never settled for sure, I was thinking a threat from Acererak <sp> was the reason the city was tucked into the pocket dimension in the first place. Ivid/Zayene discovered the existance of the place and learned of the items that me be there, and were responsible for bringing it back. The party was racing against forces from the South Province and Medegia to find the good loot.
The combat that had recently erupted between the Great Kingdom and Nyrond and the Iron League per the old Greyhawk's World articles in Dragon were part of the story as well.
Scott

Interesting, thanks Scotty and Gary. I think Bone March or Sunndi/Medegia could work, depending on which end of the Great Kingdom you want to use.

BTW, my take on the GK is that it's something like the Holy Roman Empire -- so, claims to ancient grandeur, lots of messy little territories and feudal patchworks, and probably lots of robber barons (tolls every 10 ft, like the Garden State Parkway) if you have to move around there.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
BTW, my take on the GK is that it's something like the Holy Roman Empire -- so, claims to ancient grandeur, lots of messy little territories and feudal patchworks, and probably lots of robber barons (tolls every 10 ft, like the Garden State Parkway) if you have to move around there.
Can't argue with that take in the least, and I have been on the Garden State Parkway--highway robbery :mad:

Heh,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Can't argue with that take in the least, and I have been on the Garden State Parkway--highway robbery :mad:

There are 11 toll plazas over 172.4 miles (about one every 15.7 miles) -- each 35 cents. That's only $3.85 to travel the whole distance of the GSP. A similar distance on the Pennsylvania Turnpike is over $10. Also, when compared to the PA Turnpike or I-95, the GSP is driving heaven.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:
There are 11 toll plazas over 172.4 miles (about one every 15.7 miles) -- each 35 cents. That's only $3.85 to travel the whole distance of the GSP. A similar distance on the Pennsylvania Turnpike is over $10. Also, when compared to the PA Turnpike or I-95, the GSP is driving heaven.
Ah, but the frequent stops are the main thing. Better pay more, within reason, at one place than have to stop at all those toll booth "plazas" :mad:

Cheerio,
Gary

Mighty Veil

First Post
Cavalier's origin

I'm on chapter 9 of "3 Hearts and 3 Lions". I have to ask.

Why did you decide to create the Cavalier when you had the Paladin already? To give none humans and other alignments a knight class? I remember paladin became a sub-class after. But how exactly then did you envision the paladin and cavalier to be different?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mighty Veil said:
I'm on chapter 9 of "3 Hearts and 3 Lions". I have to ask.

Why did you decide to create the Cavalier when you had the Paladin already? To give none humans and other alignments a knight class? I remember paladin became a sub-class after. But how exactly then did you envision the paladin and cavalier to be different?
Heh...

The cavalier class was created mainly because all noble warriors were not in the same stamp as Sir Galahad and Roland.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases