TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
I would agree if tolls replaced taxes, but they seldom do. You end up paying both.
Errr...

I'd love to discuss the politics of that, and I do agree with your statement, but this isn't the place ;)

Cheers,
Gary

dcas

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
I would agree if tolls replaced taxes, but they seldom do. You end up paying both.

You'll want to subscribe to Gary's talk list if you want to talk about politics (like getting screwed over by the State) or religion (like how people down South think free highways are the 11th Commandment).

Anyway, Gary, how are the roads supported in and around Yggsburgh? Taxes or tolls? or a combination of the two?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
dcas said:
You'll want to subscribe to Gary's talk list if you want to talk about politics (like getting screwed over by the State) or religion (like how people down South think free highways are the 11th Commandment).

Anyway, Gary, how are the roads supported in and around Yggsburgh? Taxes or tolls? or a combination of the two?

Heh, I already am, though I mostly lurk.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dcas said:

Well amigo...

The Trolls are likely to hate you for asking that question, as I do not specifically deal with the maintenance of roads, and now U am wishing I had wrtten a couple of paragraphs on that ant the upkeep of the streets in the town too.

Yggsburgh has plenty of tax and monopoly income to cover the repait of local roads. Away from town it's not done unless there's a washout somewhere. In that casr the Lord Mayor or nearest concerned noble will see that repairs are made.

In the town proper the streets are repaired by the street cleaning department. In the outs the Lord Mayor requires property owners fronting the way to keep it in good repair, with the town seeing to the main roads where they have no adjacent landowner.

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
The Trolls are likely to hate you for asking that question, as I do not specifically deal with the maintenance of roads, and now U am wishing I had wrtten a couple of paragraphs on that ant the upkeep of the streets in the town too.

Yggsburgh has plenty of tax and monopoly income to cover the repait of local roads. Away from town it's not done unless there's a washout somewhere. In that casr the Lord Mayor or nearest concerned noble will see that repairs are made.

In the town proper the streets are repaired by the street cleaning department. In the outs the Lord Mayor requires property owners fronting the way to keep it in good repair, with the town seeing to the main roads where they have no adjacent landowner.

It looks like the Trolls have their first snippet for a compilation of articles regarding Yggsburgh for either a CZ PDF "web-extra" or for a Crusader article. Nice.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
dcas said:
I prefer tolls to taxes (why should someone pay taxes for a road on which he might not even drive?), and NJ gas taxes are nice and low.
Emergency vehicles, delivery trucks, and the like use the roads . . . all benefitting you . . .

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ho Zudrak!

I sent off an email about an hour ago adding the material about road care to the entry regarding the Yggsburgh Street Department. No reply as yet.

Darlene is putting on the final touches (my corrections of my own sloppy work) on the town map, so the whole long project is about in the proverbial can, as they say in the motion picture business :uhoh:

Now I had better go and check the trolls website, as they didn't mnention the new material to me...

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Emergency vehicles, delivery trucks, and the like use the roads . . . all benefitting you . . .

Small type doesn't avoid the proscription of political discussion, amigo :]

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases