TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clangador said:
Gary,

What percent of Castle Zagyg is straight out of Castle Greyhawk?
All of the good ideas;)

The maps are to be redone so as to make sense to all GMs, and the encounters are being written with all the needed information, not just a few crypric notes.

Cheers,
Gary

Clangador

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
All of the good ideas;)

The maps are to be redone so as to make sense to all GMs, and the encounters are being written with all the needed information, not just a few crypric notes.

Cheers,
Gary

Good to know. I guess what's I'm getting at is this. I've read the original Castle Greyhawk had all kinds of weird stuff in it. A museum from "another age," a bowling alley for 20’ tall giants, the Machine Level, the Bottle City, plus the gates to the EX modules and Isle of the Ape. I've also read about the running man somewhere and the big stone head. Stuff like that. Things that would be of interest to those of us who read about Castle Greyhawk in The Dragon and would get a hoot out of encountering something right out of your original castle.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clangador said:
Good to know. I guess what's I'm getting at is this. I've read the original Castle Greyhawk had all kinds of weird stuff in it. A museum from "another age," a bowling alley for 20’ tall giants, the Machine Level, the Bottle City, plus the gates to the EX modules and Isle of the Ape. I've also read about the running man somewhere and the big stone head. Stuff like that. Things that would be of interest to those of us who read about Castle Greyhawk in The Dragon and would get a hoot out of encountering something right out of your original castle.
Some of that is in the original dungeon, and yes, that is the sort of special encounter that will be included.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
i think those two Castle Greyhawks may be two completely different animals. :)
The machine Level was in Rob's dungeons, not mine or the one we co-designed. I am not sure of the blttle level, but i know it isn't mine. the rest of the things mentioned are indeed features from my original castle. Of course there won't be transporter gates to existing modules, but we will probably have them with suggested destinations.

Cheers,
Gary

Clangador

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Some of that is in the original dungeon, and yes, that is the sort of special encounter that will be included.

Cheers,
Gary

That's great. I can't wait to get a look at it.

Last edited:

BOZ said:
Erik Mona is likely forced to either accept a lot of the changes that have happened, or not write greyhawk at all. given the choice, it seems he accepted the limitations. i remember back in the old days of 2E, he was definitely an advocate of skipping the From the Ashes changes and such.

Just 'cause our world is not a perfect world, why can't WoG be? :)

Col_Pladoh said:
Erik Mona is a good fellow, but his view of the perfect RPR and world setting is likely not much similar to mine.

As for Rob, he will need to have his D&D tales completed, and have fnished the Castle Zagyg dungeons with me before he casts an eye towards the WoG :uhoh:

I'm looking forward to the stuff you and Rob put together. Robilar is my favorite of the "Rogue's Gallery" characters . . . though I liked the centaur and Erac's Cousin quite a lot too.

I don't always agree with Erik Mona, but he's definitely 5 out of 5 for Greyhawk passion. He's recently published 3 adventures by Wolfgang Baur about Greyhawk's version of Blackmoor that were quite interesting . . . I don't agree with it all (City of the Gods is full of mechancial constructs), but I'm glad to see other people care too.

My City of the Gods, players are never likely to find. . . I'm thinking it's a portal, naturally, to Lake Geneva, real world Wisconsin, circa 1975. How else to explain the rumors of metal buildings that stay warm even in deepest winter, other than a Wisconsin trailer park? :confused: D&D is the best thing ever for silliness, is it not?

Have a flumphy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads