TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

grodog

Hero
Some Tsojcanth questions!

Hi Gary---

Unrelated to the Yggsburgh and CZ focus of late (I'm glad to hear that you and Rob are continuing forward with the project!), I have a couple logistical questions about Tsojcanth for you. In particular, I've been trying to piece together how best to show the relationships between the Greater and Lesser Caverns, as well as all of the little nook-and-cranny-style extra entrances, exits, chimneys, and what-not that you crammed into Iggwilv's mountain :D

I have some maps online at:

Do the maps roughly capture how you imagined the levels looking in relation to one another? If not, do you have any pointers on how to revise the maps to better reflect the environment?

Also, did you even design an underwater level for this module in your home games? You hint at it several times in the adventure that it seems like you'd already designed such a level, but perhaps cut it out of the published version due to time- or size-of-book considerations or somesuch.

Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
Hi Gary---

Unrelated to the Yggsburgh and CZ focus of late (I'm glad to hear that you and Rob are continuing forward with the project!), I have a couple logistical questions about Tsojcanth for you. In particular, I've been trying to piece together how best to show the relationships between the Greater and Lesser Caverns, as well as all of the little nook-and-cranny-style extra entrances, exits, chimneys, and what-not that you crammed into Iggwilv's mountain :D

I have some maps online at:

Do the maps roughly capture how you imagined the levels looking in relation to one another? If not, do you have any pointers on how to revise the maps to better reflect the environment?

Also, did you even design an underwater level for this module in your home games? You hint at it several times in the adventure that it seems like you'd already designed such a level, but perhaps cut it out of the published version due to time- or size-of-book considerations or somesuch.

Thanks!
Howdy!

I looked at the rough maps, and they look all right, pretty well along the lines I had envisaged;)

I did not do a formal map, but I did have some adventuring upon an underground "sea" which was associated with the Lost Caverns. Not having an actual map allowed me complete freedom to innovate.

Cheers.
Gary

teitan

Legend
thufur said:
Any ideas what has happened to Carl Sargent or is that even in your purview of knowledge? Am I correct about an auto accident and he is now unavailable for comment? I guess I'm asking because its good clean fun reading boards/blogs from you, Frank and Wolfgang Baur, and I think he would be a great resource if he was available.

Bringing up an old post here but thought the original poster may still be wondering: I have never heard anything about an auto accident (are you thinkin of Bill Mantlo who used to write the Hulk, Alpha Flight etc for marvel?) but the last known works of Carl Sargent were books on the occult as he is a practicing occultist and author. Fas as I know (2001) he is is fine.

Jason

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Col_Pladoh said:
I think it best if I ignore puns for a time, or else I'll have angry villager gamers storming my abode...

Cheers,
Gary
Not so, my comment was meant ingest. :p

(unless you have shrink wrapped copies of the original boxed set laying about, then I might be reaching for a pitchfork....)

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
Of course most of the long-time DMs will have much experience in winging it even with modules, as that was assumed to be the normal way to run adventures for the first 10 or even 15 years of RPG play.

I suspect that newer GMs are more used to the hand-holding modules, prepare like material for their own campaigns.

That isn't all bad...as is the current notion amongst players that every encounter they meet is defeatable, that their PCs won't meet an untimely end unless they are ready to think carefully...or have their team flee in haste;)

I think it's really a matter of how experienced the DM is. I used to prepare heavily detailed notes like the adventure note I saw in Dungeon and the few published modules I had when I started DMing back in the days of 2e. That's what I read, and that's the way I figured it was supposed to be done. But more recently, my notes have become more sketchy, as I find it much easier in preparation to only note the important stuff, for example with an encounter, I'll list stuff like hps or weapons which ar emore variable, while referring to the Monster Manual otherwise rather than writing down full stat blocks. Also, when I come up with a scenario, I have a general idea of how things are supposed to work, so I don't need to prepare long detailed notes of stuff that's already in my head.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
francisca said:
Not so, my comment was meant ingest. :p

(unless you have shrink wrapped copies of the original boxed set laying about, then I might be reaching for a pitchfork....)
You will go on ad nauseum. I can't swallow any more puns, even if done for a lark :mad:

Gary

grodog

Hero
Col_Pladoh said:
I looked at the rough maps, and they look all right, pretty well along the lines I had envisaged;)

I did not do a formal map, but I did have some adventuring upon an underground "sea" which was associated with the Lost Caverns. Not having an actual map allowed me complete freedom to innovate.

That makes perfect sense. Was the underground sea an area that Iggwilv used, or more of a hidden sub-level? If the latter, surely Iggwilv must have had some other lairs then, since there's no living quarters, guard posts, conjuring rooms, laboratories, etc. in the Greater or Lesser Caverns.

How's the underground sea differ from the Black Reservoir beneath Castle Greyhawk?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
grodog said:
That makes perfect sense. Was the underground sea an area that Iggwilv used, or more of a hidden sub-level? If the latter, surely Iggwilv must have had some other lairs then, since there's no living quarters, guard posts, conjuring rooms, laboratories, etc. in the Greater or Lesser Caverns.

How's the underground sea differ from the Black Reservoir beneath Castle Greyhawk?
Well, Iggwilv could be anywhere it seemed a good place for her to have living or other sort of quarters :eek: If the party were sufficiently strong, they could indeed have an encounter with that lovely lady... :lol:

As for the underground sea think of it more as what would be encountered from further explorations in the D# module, part of the great Underdark. The Black Reservoir level is tiny compred to the former body of water, and the reservoir is filled with large supporting pillars too...although the sea monster dwelling in its waters doesn't mind the obstructions :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases