TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
StupidSmurf said:
The "classic" Cthulhu system is simple enough that the rules don't get in the way of all that down-home madness and horror that makes the game worth playing.

For one-shots, I like it myself. However, I can't get my players to play more than singles of the old BRP system, because they get bored with all the hopelessness, and start amusing themselves by becoming suicidal. :) When they play Td20STSNBN, however, they get false hope.

I like false hope. :)

But that's enough of my hijacking Gary's thread...

grodog

Hero
Col_Pladoh said:
Well, Iggwilv could be anywhere it seemed a good place for her to have living or other sort of quarters :eek: If the party were sufficiently strong, they could indeed have an encounter with that lovely lady... :lol:

Are you specifically alluding to her use of gates in her lairs, Gary, or are you just saying that I could plunk her down anywhere I wanted to do so? (Which I've already done, of course, in the mountain known as Iggwilv's Horn [her primary lair near the Caverns, which were sort of her hidey hole/bolt hole], in her lair in the Hellfurnaces [based on the original Wintercon background, which sets the Lost Caverns near the Sea of Dust], and in some other locations only accessible by gates [trapped ones, of course, a la Farmer's World of Tiers]).

As for the underground sea think of it more as what would be encountered from further explorations in the D# module, part of the great Underdark. The Black Reservoir level is tiny compred to the former body of water, and the reservoir is filled with large supporting pillars too...although the sea monster dwelling in its waters doesn't mind the obstructions :uhoh:

Hmmm, something the size of D3's sea is quite a bit larger than I would have expected: perhaps some islands down hide Iggwilv's additional demesnes....

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Alan, either works with me. As another fan ot Farmer's "Created UIniverses" series, I used gates generally, although Iggwilv is capable of transpirting herself to various known locations without such aid.

Cheers,
Gary

Joël of the FoS

First Post
HPL fan here too. Before reading this thread, I was sure Illithid’s appearance were greatly inspired from Cthulhu. Interesting mise au point ;)

Back on the "page before" of this monstrous thread, i.e. planning for a DM (no, not the puns!), I also like to keep my adventures as much free form as possible, and react to the players decisions and mood to keep the game interesting. Doesn’t mean I do not plan my games, I just put on a paper a list of possible encounters, interesting NPCs, adventure hooks, cool optional links between things, etc.

Joël

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
HPL fan here too. Before reading this thread, I was sure Illithid’s appearance were greatly inspired from Cthulhu. Interesting mise au point ;)

Back on the "page before" of this monstrous thread, i.e. planning for a DM (no, not the puns!), I also like to keep my adventures as much free form as possible, and react to the players decisions and mood to keep the game interesting. Doesn’t mean I do not plan my games, I just put on a paper a list of possible encounters, interesting NPCs, adventure hooks, cool optional links between things, etc.

Joël
Right!

The GM should always have a plan in mind even when running the session by the seat of his pants. However...

At one of the mini-cons TSR used to sponsor--Spring Revel, Autimn Revel, and Winter Fantasy--I promised a group of MDG gamers there assisting in running events that I would DM an AD&D session for them on Sunday. Hurriedly leaving my house early that Sunday morning I grabbed the folder of maps and notes I had prepared for the special session.

When I sat down to run the game I found I had a folder of memo copies about some company business. Oops! I just winged the next four hours, and only one of the group suspected that I was doing that. When I told them after the session ended what a gaff I had pulled, there was nary a complaint, for the adventure had been a good one...whew!

:heh:
Gary

Last edited:

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
When I sat down to run the game I found I had a folder of memo copies about some company business. Oops! I just winged the next four hours, and only one of the group suspected that I was doing that. When I told them after the session ended what a gaff I had pulled, there was nary a complaint, for the adventure had been a good one...whew!

*lol* That's indeed more complicated for the DM to make a good job :) (especially after a couple St-Ambroise ;) )

But still I think most DM should be able to improvise from the plan /scenario as often as possible. The job of a DM isn't to follow a scenario, it is to entertain ;) So the DM should always keep the players on their toes by mixing calm moments and rushing encounters, as he see fit for the game mood.

I don't understand experienced people complaining about a bad adventure they bought. If you don't like parts of it, well change it, or make the game go faster to the next cool parts.

Joël

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
*lol* That's indeed more complicated for the DM to make a good job :) (especially after a couple St-Ambroise ;) )

But still I think most DM should be able to improvise from the plan /scenario as often as possible. The job of a DM isn't to follow a scenario, it is to entertain ;) So the DM should always keep the players on their toes by mixing calm moments and rushing encounters, as he see fit for the game mood.

I don't understand experienced people complaining about a bad adventure they bought. If you don't like parts of it, well change it, or make the game go faster to the next cool parts.

Joël
Agreed on all counts!

I seldom enjoy a libation when GMong unless the group wants a wide-open rip-roarer, and even then I have to be in the proper mood for same :eek:

As for creative improvisation, I do that both ways, some play-test material navermaking it into print, and a lot of new material created on the spot comes into play when i am using something written, regardless of the author, me or another ;)

Cheers,
Gary

StupidSmurf said:
The "classic" Cthulhu system is simple enough that the rules don't get in the way of all that down-home madness and horror that makes the game worth playing. I prefer my madness unfiltered, thank you very much!

I don't have Cthulhu D20 to play it, but to steal monsters, if I ever need them, and to look at the funky pictures. ;)

I've never PLAYED any version of Cthulhu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases