TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Drkfathr1 said:
...I've noticed that in recent years (though its probably an old problem), that a lot of DM's/GM's/Gamemasters seem to need everything presented to them in a tidy little package that spells out every tactic, every thought, and every possible action of the NPC's, but when it's not, they consider a product to be "bad design".

Would you agree that the problem is more "bad DM"?

Personally, I find products like that to be very DM friendly, because it allows me to run the encounters according to my own style, and according to the style of my players.

...Not surprisingly, I concur with your assessment.

This is not to belittle the GMs and players that want so much direction. It is more a matter of their lacking the proper encouragement and training so as to be able to use their own creativity, imagination, and innovation when they play.

In all, there will always be those who find more enjoyment "going by the book."

To differentiate, from now on all products that would be considered poor in design by the type of GM's to which Drkfathr1 referred will now be sold with a free clothespin with a piece of string attached, so that the buyer will know which products lead them by the nose. :]

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
To differentiate, from now on all products that would be considered poor in design by the type of GM's to which Drkfathr1 referred will now be sold with a free clothespin with a piece of string attached, so that the buyer will know which products lead them by the nose. :]
Now, now! Be kind.

Make that a bit and bridle, and I can endorse the concept :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Now, now! Be kind.

Make that a bit and bridle, and I can endorse the concept :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Whoa...! I seem to have ridden more than I should have. I'd best saddle down and remove the hoof from my mouth. For those that were offended by my bray-zen remarks, be assured I was only horsing around. There are two neighs of refereeing an RPG and I much prefer the seat of the pants method: You have the reigns of the campaign in hand and can go wherever the dogies (PC's -- rather crude analogy/pun, I know) want to git without falling off your mount and re-trotting to your library of books.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Whoa...! I seem to have ridden more than I should have. I'd best saddle down and remove the hoof from my mouth. For those that were offended by my bray-zen remarks, be assured I was only horsing around. There are two neighs of refereeing an RPG and I much prefer the seat of the pants method: You have the reigns of the campaign in hand and can go wherever the dogies (PC's -- rather crude analogy/pun, I know) want to git without falling off your mount and re-trotting to your library of books.
All I can say to that is that you are cinch to spur on and ride those who hold the other view. You were surely feeling your oats when you wrote such inflammatory fodder.

Heh,
Gary

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Hey there. Edena_of_Neith here. Greetings and salutations to you, Gary.

I have a rather frivolous set of questions:

Have you read my humorous post on drow? (my first post in the thread in this forum titled: I Must Protest. The Drow are not like that!)
If yes ...

... did you find it humorous?
What is your reaction to my blasphemous portrayal of the dark elves?
(After all, they are your creation, and I have argued they must be gentle, loving, shy, and demure people. :) )
And (HORRORS) does such a drow society, or a drow society similar to that described, exist anywhere on Oerth?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
Hey there. Edena_of_Neith here. Greetings and salutations to you, Gary.

I have a rather frivolous set of questions:

Have you read my humorous post on drow? (my first post in the thread in this forum titled: I Must Protest. The Drow are not like that!)
If yes ...

... did you find it humorous?
What is your reaction to my blasphemous portrayal of the dark elves?
(After all, they are your creation, and I have argued they must be gentle, loving, shy, and demure people. :) )
And (HORRORS) does such a drow society, or a drow society similar to that described, exist anywhere on Oerth?
Indeed,

I read it and found it amusing, an obvious spoof.

As to the existance of such a community, no, I never contemplated a similar community of Drow dwelling on the Oerth. That would be rather akin to herbivorous spiders...

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads