TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Wow, this is the ninth Q&A with Gary and it has like a bajillion replies! I wonder what the total count of replies and views are for this series.

Col_Pladoh said:
Actually, the abandoned ruins of the five-story, red brick insane asylum (Oak Hill Sanatarium) that still stood here until c. 1958 were more influential in inspiring the D&D game than was the history you mentioned--the place had tunnels under it and "secret rooms" created by the boys who haunted the place. Such places were needed, for the police took a dim view of us being in the building.

Random insane babblings inspired by the idea of sanitarium inspiring D&D:
Hmmm, now I have a Metalicca song on the brain . . . which reminds me of them writing two songs about HP Lovecraft . . . which reminds me when I was living in Madison, somebody claimed Lovecraft was from Wisconsin . . . I figured Massachusetts or metro NY based on his settings. Why would a guy from Wisconsin right about coastal Massachusetts? On the other hand, he clearly wasn't from Antarctica, and he wrote about that too.

If Lovecraft was from Madison or Lake Geneva or something, then southern Wisconsin would have to a be weirdness magnet (an old GURPS rule), and Wisconsin's just not that weird. :confused:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ed Cha said:
Wow, this is the ninth Q&A with Gary and it has like a bajillion replies! I wonder what the total count of replies and views are for this series.
If only I were receiving $10 per post here I'd not be wanting for fine wine, champagne, even cognac and Cuban cigars... :lol:

:eek:
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
A number of my firends really enjoy the Donaldson novels, but I could not get into them. No reflection on them or me... ;)

Cheers,
Gary

The author is a decent fellow and rather interesting to talk to. Especially when he gets into his wide array of travels. I just couldn't get into that series either. I have no real idea why? The story just seemed to plod on.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Random insane babblings inspired by the idea of sanitarium inspiring D&D:
Hmmm, now I have a Metalicca song on the brain . . . which reminds me of them writing two songs about HP Lovecraft . . . which reminds me when I was living in Madison, somebody claimed Lovecraft was from Wisconsin . . . I figured Massachusetts or metro NY based on his settings. Why would a guy from Wisconsin right about coastal Massachusetts? On the other hand, he clearly wasn't from Antarctica, and he wrote about that too.
I do believe that HPL was from Down East, Massachusetts. His cadre of fellows who picked up the themes of his work were from all over, however.

If Lovecraft was from Madison or Lake Geneva or something, then southern Wisconsin would have to a be weirdness magnet (an old GURPS rule), and Wisconsin's just not that weird. :confused:
Arkham House, the publisher of the "Lovecraftian" books is in Wisconsin, it being begun by the renowned horror author August Derleith, a native of Wisconsin, unless I am mistaken.

Wisconsin is a weird place in many respects, a center for the Spiritualist movement of the early 1900s, and other unusual things. For a most disconcerting experience read Wisconsin Death Trip.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
The author is a decent fellow and rather interesting to talk to. Especially when he gets into his wide array of travels. I just couldn't get into that series either. I have no real idea why? The story just seemed to plod on.
Sadly, I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Donaldson. I generally like a more positive and upbeat sort of story, or at lease one filled with blood and thunder :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Ed Cha said:

more than the hivemind, probably. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads