TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Steverooo

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Oh please!

Oh please is right!...

Col_Pladoh said:
Don't get up on a high horse here, dude :mad:

No horses, here, Gary (previous puns hotwithstanding). I put smiley faces at the end, and everything!

Col_Pladoh said:
There is a big difference between defeating the obstacles the DM places before the adventuring party and the players ruining the campaign.

You seem to suggest that the DM should allow the latter, and that is sheer folly.

Only to you...

Destroying Eggsburgh, yes. Destroying the Temple of "Elemental Evil", or Tomb of Horrors? No. If it had been done the first time, the current evils would've had to occupy some other place. After the PCs had defeated the evils, destruction of their old haunts would be logical, and wise.

But then, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that we don't agree! :p :D <---(MORE Smiley faces!_

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
Oh please is right!...

No horses, here, Gary (previous puns hotwithstanding). I put smiley faces at the end, and everything.
:]
Smiling high horses are nonetheless high horses.

I call 'em as I see 'em :mad:

Only to you...
As it should be in a Q&A session with...me.

Destroying Eggsburgh, yes. Destroying the Temple of "Elemental Evil", or Tomb of Horrors? No. If it had been done the first time, the current evils would've had to occupy some other place. After the PCs had defeated the evils, destruction of their old haunts would be logical, and wise.
It depends on the desires of the DM in regards to anything destroyed, and if the DM regards the object of would-be destruction as instrumental to his campaign, then such demolition is out of the question :p

But then, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that we don't agree! :p :D <---(MORE Smiley faces!_
Probably not as much as it might appear on the surface, for we are talking about two different things by and large :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
What has astonished me is than no group I know of has ever attemptet of impersonate young giants in the G1 adventure. I set it up so that could be done and would likely be effective too...

While I've never seen the child impersonation myself, I did see someone impersonate an Adult giant before! In a North Carolina ENWorld Gameday, the party facing the Steading killed a giant at the door by stealth, then used an Enlarge spell and the giant's furs to have one of the burliest party members impersonate a grown hill giant. (That spell lasts a heck of a long time in 1E!) He used this ruse to both lead and corral the hill giant kids (where they were attacked and killed), and to approach an amorous hill giant subchief's woman (drunk and half-asleep in the bed anyway) so he could pull a Lizzie Borden on her. Nasty, but definitely different. :D

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh said:
What is not permissable is the descruction of the campaign base by the players' characters

What's even worse is destruction by the publisher of the campaign base that the PC's very well could have succeeded in saving . . .

What I have in mind is the 2E version of Greyhawk, "From the Ashes", in which it was assumed the Giants of G123 succeeded in conquering and massacring Sterich and Geoff. Our party killed Lloth and WON the war to save our homelands -- took us two years of gaming, but we did it, the last mission before we retired our few surviving characters and broke up as a gaming group. I'm still pissed at TSR 13 years later for saying we failed. Orc-heads! :mad:

Lesson: Never, ever "update" a campaign setting.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
While I've never seen the child impersonation myself, I did see someone impersonate an Adult giant before! In a North Carolina ENWorld Gameday, the party facing the Steading killed a giant at the door by stealth, then used an Enlarge spell and the giant's furs to have one of the burliest party members impersonate a grown hill giant. (That spell lasts a heck of a long time in 1E!) He used this ruse to both lead and corral the hill giant kids (where they were attacked and killed), and to approach an amorous hill giant subchief's woman (drunk and half-asleep in the bed anyway) so he could pull a Lizzie Borden on her. Nasty, but definitely different. :D
It is always amusing and informative to learn how players use their ingenuity to accomplish missions;)

Mordenkainen taught all of his apprentices the enlarge spell for such possibility...and to give them a healing sans cleric :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
What's even worse is destruction by the publisher of the campaign base that the PC's very well could have succeeded in saving . . .

What I have in mind is the 2E version of Greyhawk, "From the Ashes", in which it was assumed the Giants of G123 succeeded in conquering and massacring Sterich and Geoff. Our party killed Lloth and WON the war to save our homelands -- took us two years of gaming, but we did it, the last mission before we retired our few surviving characters and broke up as a gaming group. I'm still pissed at TSR 13 years later for saying we failed. Orc-heads! :mad:

Lesson: Never, ever "update" a campaign setting.
That is the result of someone in authority at the publisher not understanding the material, not caring, and just bulling ahead regardless of the audience.

The World of Greyhawk setting was crafted to allow for individualization by DMs, of course, and so was as non-specific and vague in places where the DM was likely to have created his own material. I did intend to expand the world and do some area specifric modules--mostly at the edges of the Flanaess, but that wasn't to be...

Cheers,
Gary

Steverooo

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I did intend to expand the world and do some area specifric modules--mostly at the edges of the Flanaess, but that wasn't to be...

Too bad. While I didn't care much for most of the Gord the Rogue series, the parts about the Sea of Dust/Death were my favorites. I would have loved to have seen more on the surrounding areas, and the "Unknown West".

And just because you see a horse, doesn't mean it exists... Maybe you've just been visiting John & Jack too much, again! ;) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads