TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh said:
Moprdenkainen started out with hired men-at-arms and mounted serjeants. As we encountered and defeated bandits and their ilk, we enlisted willing volunteers. When we ran int nomads and slew all their leaders, the rest threw in their lot and joined our company--more like a division by that time.

Keeping thelot of them fed and in loot was a real challenge, and to balance the bad we made sure to wipe out all the evil we came across so as to remain neutral.

Cheers,
Gary

That makes sense. What do to do with the conquered or rescued is often an interesting question, especially since I like to DM the "village in trouble" scenario quite a bit, and occassional set ups like "the mongrelmen aren't evil, they're just scared of the beholder". So, among the more interesting things left behind by my PC's is a little outpost fortress inhabited only by a firbolg giant and a blind human basketmaker . . . that's what happened to my version of Troll Lord's Dzeebagd, admittedly quite different in its details from the original module. Someday, I think the PC's will be awarded a feudal fief of all the messed up little places they "rescued". ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
That makes sense. What do to do with the conquered or rescued is often an interesting question, especially since I like to DM the "village in trouble" scenario quite a bit, and occassional set ups like "the mongrelmen aren't evil, they're just scared of the beholder". So, among the more interesting things left behind by my PC's is a little outpost fortress inhabited only by a firbolg giant and a blind human basketmaker . . . that's what happened to my version of Troll Lord's Dzeebagd, admittedly quite different in its details from the original module. Someday, I think the PC's will be awarded a feudal fief of all the messed up little places they "rescued". ;)
Quite so.

In many instances the ones saving a place, or otherwise beinging law and order to it, become the overlords, one way or another.

Of course that is a mixed blessing. They gain tax income and have resources, but at the same time administratve tasks that demand much time and effort.

Not a few wise players have their PCs decline any such awards in order to remain foot-loose and untroubles by any demands other that adventuring :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Quite so.

In many instances the ones saving a place, or otherwise beinging law and order to it, become the overlords, one way or another.

Of course that is a mixed blessing. They gain tax income and have resources, but at the same time administratve tasks that demand much time and effort.

Not a few wise players have their PCs decline any such awards in order to remain foot-loose and untroubles by any demands other that adventuring :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

You did that with active characters? We've done that with retired characters, who then becomes quasi-NPCs (the player still "owns" them in a general sense, but they're mostly background like any other NPC).

Did you running the villages/frontier post as an active, role-played thing, or as off-line downtime between adventures? I think some of my players might really enjoy that, but others would be very bored. Best as a downtime thing, for the most part?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
You did that with active characters? We've done that with retired characters, who then becomes quasi-NPCs (the player still "owns" them in a general sense, but they're mostly background like any other NPC).

Did you running the villages/frontier post as an active, role-played thing, or as off-line downtime between adventures? I think some of my players might really enjoy that, but others would be very bored. Best as a downtime thing, for the most part?
All of my play was in group fashion, with the DM right there, and indeed most of my high level PCs were "retired" for use by the DM, by me on special occasions. The non-adventuring activities were managed by me creating the details in writing and having my DM, rob Kuntz, approve them. Of course when we became co-DMs of a unified campaign, I did what seemed reasonable for the NPCs.

With so many players, so diverse a lot of them, continuity was a problem, so the Citadel of Eight became more of a campaign law enforcement device. Mordenkainen's plans for s separate state in the Flanaess went by the boards at that time, so the "retired" status became general with those PCs--Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Riggby, and Zigby the Dwarf (who had topped out in level), Felnorith, and the Elves Vram and Vin (also topped out).

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
All of my play was in group fashion, with the DM right there, and indeed most of my high level PCs were "retired" for use by the DM, by me on special occasions. The non-adventuring activities were managed by me creating the details in writing and having my DM, rob Kuntz, approve them. Of course when we became co-DMs of a unified campaign, I did what seemed reasonable for the NPCs.

Thanks. It sounds like we do "retired" characters the same way. I like the idea of doing non-adventuring stuff as individual player write-ups with DM approval. Probably email.

Col_Pladoh said:
With so many players, so diverse a lot of them, continuity was a problem, so the Citadel of Eight became more of a campaign law enforcement device. Mordenkainen's plans for s separate state in the Flanaess went by the boards at that time, so the "retired" status became general with those PCs--Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Riggby, and Zigby the Dwarf (who had topped out in level), Felnorith, and the Elves Vram and Vin (also topped out).

Cheers,
Gary

Plans for a separate state? Oh, how interesting. Another plot idea, should they invite Mordy into the war. :lol:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
What about Siggby Griggbyson. He is a member of that famed group isn't he, or is he some sort of lesser member?
Scott
Yes indeed, Siggby Griggbyson is a member of the Circle of Eight, as is the m-u Slidell of Fax and the nomadic fighter Nigby. Siggby is the righthand man of Yrag, and Nigby the lieutenant of Felnorith (of the Many Swords), while Slidell is Bigby's former apprentice, now his righthand man.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Thanks. It sounds like we do "retired" characters the same way. I like the idea of doing non-adventuring stuff as individual player write-ups with DM approval. Probably email.
For me it was a matter of handing the material to Rob when he came to my place, or I was over at his gaming.

Plans for a separate state? Oh, how interesting. Another plot idea, should they invite Mordy into the war. :lol:
I dropped the idea because of the amount of work needed to set it up and go forward, too much like an historical military miniatures campaign without established facts. Too many unknowns that would demand preparation and then attention on an ongoing basis.

If ou wish to include the forces of the Obsidian Citadel in the campaign, they you will have to run them, as I haven't the time--if I get started then I'll want to manage things, what with being a gamer and all. Assuming there is a good reason to become involved, some imbalance in the offing, and there is funding and reward for the troops, then I can supply you with list of the troops available. You can take it from there.

Of course I will not count whatever happens as actuality in regards the force;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hail Fellows!

May you all enjoy a great Thanksgiving day:)

We plan to play at least one boardgame tomorrow as well as have a family dinner.

Cheerio,
Gary

dcollins

Explorer
Happy Thanksgiving as well!

I'll just point out that Mordenkainen must have bulked up his forces in recent years, because as of the "Sorcerer's Scroll" in Dragon Magazine #37, p. 11 it was written that he he had:

Mordenkainen: (MU of 20th level): Several years ago, the Neutral arch-mage took his rather vast cavalry force and rode into the west, supposedly on a mission to succor an (Evil) associate who called for his aid. He has never returned. His force consisted of:
- Medium Cavalry: 500 (Regulars)
- Light Cavalry: 500 (Regulars)
- Light Horse Archers: 1,000 (Regulars), 2,000 (Levied)
This force was Chaotic, possibly Neutral, although any Evil cleric encountered could count on a swift and sure death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases