TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clangador said:
In Castle Greyhawk, what is the living room?

A PC of mine actually adventured in "The Living Room" when Rob was running a separate campaign. It became a part of GH castle when Rob became my co-DM. I suspect you can pretty well guess what the encounter entails... ;)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clangador said:

Thanks. Did you say there is a mailing list you post your group's sessions to?

In theory I post game session reports to the www.lejendary.com website, but I often forget :rolleyes:

Where I always remember to post is to my games email list: gygax-games-subscribe@egroups.com Last week we cancelled the session, though, because a coulpe of the players had other engagements, and I've just cancelled tonight's game because I am not feeling very well--some lousy little "flu"-like bug is all, nothing serious, but I plan to be pretty quiet today, get some rest so as to shake it off and get back to work ;)

Cheers,
Gary

RSKennan

Explorer
Hi Gary,
I hope you feel better!

I'm the guy who started the "goofiness in games" thread in your Yahoo group a while back. I've played since first edition, and one thing I've noticed is a loss of inherent flavor in the rules as subsequent generations are born. In it's current incarnation the onus to inject flavor seems to rest squarely on the DM and the group. I understand that Necromancer Games prides itself on a 1st edition flavor, but what advice would you give groups who want to play in the 1st edition spirit using 3e rules? Is such a thing possible in your opinion?

Thank you for some of the best years of my life.

jasper

Rotten DM
1st edition feel. Don't worry about following the rules to the letter.
Ex. Mr. Fred from the speaker in dreams module is invading my pcs dreams. I give them a save to keep from letting information slip and opposed roll to wake up.
Or just create a new monster cat call DM Special which does not have to follow the rules. Ex. I had 2ed snowman which threw snow balls. 1 per hit dice. Plus some could cast Otto dance with a little less power.
by the rules I can't do that with any of the current creature types But I am going to.

Do worry about following the rules to exact letter. Have a fun campaign. I just waiting on my players to convert their old characters to 3rd so I can show them how mean a green dragon and vampire team up can be.

Oh on the survival guides. I did like them BUT they should have been 1 book. After that I would just pick up modules.

1st edition feel. Never give dumb players a break. Or as KODT says WHAT you want to know if you lived after taking a face full of dragon breath, taking a 300 foot swan dive into a pool of boiling hot lava.

My wife love the cover art on your Slayers Guide to Dragons. She said to tell the artist nice work. I would suggest any new DMs pick it up. Most of old guys have read your articles in Dragon and don't really need it.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RSKennan said:
Hi Gary,
I hope you feel better!

I'm the guy who started the "goofiness in games" thread in your Yahoo group a while back. I've played since first edition, and one thing I've noticed is a loss of inherent flavor in the rules as subsequent generations are born. In it's current incarnation the onus to inject flavor seems to rest squarely on the DM and the group. I understand that Necromancer Games prides itself on a 1st edition flavor, but what advice would you give groups who want to play in the 1st edition spirit using 3e rules? Is such a thing possible in your opinion?

Thank you for some of the best years of my life.

IMO a good session needs some drama, the feeling that danger and death are ever-present, and usually a good measure of humor.

As for 3E capturing the feel of OAD&D, I don't think so--too rules-heavy and too focused on power, A whole different game, a completely different spirit.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jasper said:
1st edition feel. Don't worry about following the rules to the letter.
Ex. Mr. Fred from the speaker in dreams module is invading my pcs dreams. I give them a save to keep from letting information slip and opposed roll to wake up.
Or just create a new monster cat call DM Special which does not have to follow the rules. Ex. I had 2ed snowman which threw snow balls. 1 per hit dice. Plus some could cast Otto dance with a little less power.
by the rules I can't do that with any of the current creature types But I am going to.

Yes, those are some valid observations. OAD&D encouraged and in some instances facilitated innovation and had flexible rules that did not require an explanation for everything.

Do worry about following the rules to exact letter. Have a fun campaign. I just waiting on my players to convert their old characters to 3rd so I can show them how mean a green dragon and vampire team up can be.

That is certainly blasphemy to many 3E players ;)

1st edition feel. Never give dumb players a break. Or as KODT says WHAT you want to know if you lived after taking a face full of dragon breath, taking a 300 foot swan dive into a pool of boiling hot lava.

Well, perhaps not quite that harsh, but as in chess, if you expect to win, know how to play the game...

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases