TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

arscott

First Post
The Internet Movie Database says yes:

"Anthology of Interest I" Episode: #2.20 - 21 May 2000
Al Gore .... Himself (voice) (as Vice President Al Gore)
E. Gary Gygax .... Himself (voice)
Stephen Hawking .... Himself (voice)
Nichelle Nichols .... Herself (voice)
Byrne Offutt .... Utility Player (voice)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Merry Christmas!

Gary, you've mentioned before that you might like an avatar of your appearance on Futurama. Here's a couple for you, sized for this forum:
And a Merry Christmas to you, Gentle Gamer:)

Thanks, and the second of those two screen grabs looks fine to me. The first is being used on another board.

Yuletide best wishes,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
So, were Uhura, Gary, and Al Gore all recorded by the actual people? I never can tell on cartoons when the guests are "real" or not.
Happy Christmas!

Indeed, the voice in the Futurama episode is my own. I did the VO recordings at a studio in Milwaukee over a clean line to the West Coast to the studio where David X. Cohan and company were working. I suspect most of the others involved in the skit did the same.

I suggested that they fly me out to their location, but no luck... :lol:

Yuletide cheer,
Gary

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi ya Gary-

Since you might be on good terms with Eric Mona, it would be cool if you submitted an adventure to dungeon magazine, even if it was submitted in 1E AD&D format, I'm sure the Dungeon staff would be happy to convert it to 3E(3.5). Perhaps a Queen of Spiders sequal or an addition to ToEE would be cool too.

Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Doomed Battalions said:
Hi ya Gary-

Since you might be on good terms with Eric Mona, it would be cool if you submitted an adventure to dungeon magazine, even if it was submitted in 1E AD&D format, I'm sure the Dungeon staff would be happy to convert it to 3E(3.5). Perhaps a Queen of Spiders sequal or an addition to ToEE would be cool too.

Scott
Christmas Cheer!

Heh, and I have committments for creative work through 2007, besides that a stack of requests for adventures, and a few irons in the fire that might extend the committed-to projects well beyond that. Thus, unless I can clone myself repeatedly, the chances for that happening are Slim to none...and Slim just left town :lol:

Yuletide best,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
Happy Christmas!

Indeed, the voice in the Futurama episode is my own. I did the VO recordings at a studio in Milwaukee over a clean line to the West Coast to the studio where David X. Cohan and company were working. I suspect most of the others involved in the skit did the same.

I suggested that they fly me out to their location, but no luck... :lol:

Yuletide cheer,
Gary

Ah, you didn't get meet Bender and Zoidburg in person, huh? :p

OD&D, Basic D&D, and AD&D

My FLGS somehow got a supply of Dragons from the distant past. I picked up the Best of vol II from Nov 1981.

In it, there's a Sorcerer's Scroll from Gary about the transition from original D&D to AD&D, and the additional publication of Basic D&D as an intro game to either.

It says, Basic is to teach people the game, classic D&D will always be there as the simple and classic version, and AD&D will go deeper and further.

I'm musing on that . . . perhaps all versions of D&D should live simultaneously, but I don't see how all could be supported. Still, the idea of a lite, classic, and modern version that are all more-or-less compatible sounds good, but so does one version to bind them all. :]

Maybe with better software, we can produce modules in the future that have the same plot, but alternative rules for original D&D, classic AD&D, 2nd Edition, 3.5, Castles & Crusades, and Hackmaster? Probably not worth the effort, commercially speaking.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc. everybody. A very medieval time of year, it seems to me, with fires and candles and all. "Good King Wencelas went to town, on the feast of Stephen, as the snow lay on the ground, crisp and white and even"

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Christmas Blessings!

Sadly, I didn't even get to meet David X. Cohen in person, no, although we chatted a bit before the VO work began.

As for three versions of the D&D game, that is exactly what I urged Peter Adkison to do before new D&D was launched. From all the evidence I can see there is little doubt that all three versions of the game would be self-supporting.

Maure Castle is Rob Kuntz's campaign;)

Yuletide best,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Hiya Gary -

I finally got a chance to buy a pdf copy of Gary Gygax's World Builder, and I have to say I'm pleased as punch with it. I've always loved the various lists and random tables for dungeon dressing and the like that were in the 1e DMG, and to have an entire book of this type of material is fantastic. I'm exactly the type of reader this book was aimed at. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads